Sign in to follow this  
Doomcaster

Farke afraid to make subs

Fully understand just quality youth players  on the bench - but they are quicker & a lot more enthusiast,  than the older 85 mins legs still on the pitch when Coventry scored

Farke - please please make subs when your older players are very clearly struggling to cope

100% useless after we concede a clear impending goal - but 10 or 15 mins before that happened would have been sensible

I'll bite.

Bringing on a host of 18-year-olds who have never played a minute of professional football against a Championship team could potentially have had even worse consequences.

There was a middleground, and I personally would've brought on either Omotoye or TDP up top for some fresh legs, but no more.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'll bite.

Bringing on a host of 18-year-olds who have never played a minute of professional football against a Championship team could potentially have had even worse consequences.

There was a middleground, and I personally would've brought on either Omotoye or TDP up top for some fresh legs, but no more.

This is the thing, no one is suggesting we brought 5 on with 30 minutes to play, but we had enough on the bench to have given them something to think about, rather than Stiepi running on empty.  With Placheta causing them some problems, having someone with a bit of pace running into the area would have been a decent plan.

2 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

You can imagine the uproar if one or more kids had been brought on and Cov equalised or worse still scored twice. 

???  You mean, score like they did when we didn’t make our subs?  Not sure I see your point.  An outlet to replace a spent Stiepi would have caused no harm, but given them something to think about.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

???  You mean, score like they did when we didn’t make our subs?  Not sure I see your point.  An outlet to replace a spent Stiepi would have caused no harm, but given them something to think about.

What? Like, they have brought on a kid and I can forget about him? Glad that Placheta has gone off, he's quick? 

We got a result. That is certain. Your claims are ifs.

16 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'll bite.

I agree but the reluctant Farke just hoped the rapidly tiring troops would hang on. They didn't. If Farke had done as you suggested on about 75 minutes I think there is a damn good chance we would have seen the game out.

Vrancic and Stiepermann were passengers that last 20. We were crying out for a bit of energy, just something to give Coventry something to think about. But at least we now we know Farke doesn't believe Omotoje and Dickson-Peters are worth even 10 mins when you're effectively down to 10 or 9 men.

Shame really it would probably been  a dream come true for them to get on the pitch.

Edited by Capt. Pants

8 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'll bite.

I’ll agree with you there Wacky - I have to say that I was very unsure about us bringing on several youngsters for about 25-30 mins

I don't think even the most anti Farke / Delia / model fan of City, can level any fair criticism given the injuries we currently have... If we are still top six by January he will have performed a minor miracle.

1 minute ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I don't think even the most anti Farke / Delia / model fan of City, can level any fair criticism given the injuries we currently have... If we are still top six by January he will have performed a minor miracle.

That has to be our hope. That we can stay competitive with such a shocking situation.

The stars don't seem to be in our favour at the moment. It's like a big omen. 

But I do think we are a top 6 team if not a top two team. I think we should hold on in there.

30 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

My point is that the margins are fine. If Cov’s goal goes past the post or MM saves it then DF is a genius for keeping his experienced players on. If he brings on a youngster or two with ten minutes left and we concede people complain that we put kids on in a situation they weren’t ready for. He can’t win. Putting players on for their debuts when a match is on a knife edge is a risky thing, his gut feeling was obviously to stick with the experienced players and unfortunately it didn’t work out. That’s life. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

My point is that the margins are fine. If Cov’s goal goes past the post or MM saves it then DF is a genius for keeping his experienced players on. If he brings on a youngster or two with ten minutes left and we concede people complain that we put kids on in a situation they weren’t ready for. He can’t win. Putting players on for their debuts when a match is on a knife edge is a risky thing, his gut feeling was obviously to stick with the experienced players and unfortunately it didn’t work out. That’s life. 

No, had we held out I’d have still been on here querying why we made it so difficult for ourselves by keeping Stiepi on for the last 10 minutes. It is pretty simple for me, I’d have done it differently today, but we have no way of knowing what would have happened, so that’s life.  We move on to the next one.

Edited by Branston Pickle

I think the question we should ask is, would Farke do it differently if he could do it again?

In my opinion Marco should’ve came off at least 20 mins before the end of the match. I’m not really following any case for keeping Marco on the pitch when he’s that knackered to he honest!

And I also think if Farke could rewind back to the same point he would’ve changed it. Which suggests to me it was the incorrect decision.

I would not have blamed him if he put on Dickson-Peters for Stiepermann and we still conceded. It’s highly unlikely that taking off a player who offered nothing out of possession would’ve made us defensively worse, whoever the replacement was!

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

36 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Vrancic and Stiepermann were passengers that last 20. We were crying out for a bit of energy, just something to give Coventry something to think about. But at least we now we know Farke doesn't believe Omotoje and Dickson-Peters are worth even 10 mins when you're effectively down to 10 or 9 men.

Shame really it would probably been  a dream come true for them to get on the pitch.

Any young player is roughly 100 times more likely to get on the pitch under Daniel Farke than with any other manager. The time for Omotoye, Dickson-Peters and the others will come soon enough. (As it did for young Reece McAlear today - congratulations to him on making his debut). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Any young player is roughly 100 times more likely to get on the pitch under Daniel Farke than with any other manager. The time for Omotoye, Dickson-Peters and the others will come soon enough. (As it did for young Reece McAlear today - congratulations to him on making his debut). 

I think a clearly inefective Stieperman could have been hooked off and replaced for the last 10 minutes or so. Fresh legs and a bit of passion forward wouldn't have done any harm.

14 minutes ago, jaywick_canery said:

Disappointing but Ispwich lost at home and that thug Sean Dyche's bully boy outfit got a good thrashing.

Bully boy, he sets them to dive and time waste. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we put all the kids on,but what did we learn today? Nothing. nothing that that we didn't already no after ten mins, in that steepi can't play striker on his own. Didn't suit him, he hasn't the pace (we knew that) and he doesn't make the runs for it.

Pointless having someone like vranic on the pitch if he can pass it but no one makes the runs. Those two young strikers, TDP and Omotoye, are full of energy and enthusiasm, in good form in their age groups, and most likely like lightening. 

Had they come one on 55/60 mins, it would of kept Coventry thinking. Either may have scored and at worst we would of learnt that either one of them aren't quite ready to step up to the physicality of the championship. But we are now no further to knowing what either can do and personally I am not looking forward to seeing a couple more weeks of Marco as the main striker.

• Like 1