Sign in to follow this  
duke63

Klopp's rant

Just watched Klopp rail at the TV interviewer about the amount of football players are being expected to play.

I don't think the powers that be ever considered player welfare this season.

Edited by duke63
  • Like 1

Glad the interviewer successfully put him back in his box, Klopp needs to shut the **** up or sod off back to the German league.  I get it's a bit different this season, but him and Guardiola are always spitting their dummies out come December.

They've got a 25 man squad of top quality players for a reason, plus top quality youngsters, get on with it and shut up.

• Like 1

He's not wrong. A game as arduous as football, at the intensity they play at, with the physical contact in it... it was absolutely bound to happen.

Anyone with a competitive background in sport could see this coming three miles off. I could see it with my distance-running background and we don't even have the same physical contact. Recovery is VERY important, and in this condensed season, players and teams are not getting it.

• Like 1

The dumb thing is the international friendlies and competitions that have zero merit to them. Having a two week international break and then having to play midweek for 7-8 weeks in a row to catch up.

• Like 4

Just now, Icecream Snow said:

The dumb thing is the international friendlies and competitions that have zero merit to them. Having a two week international break and then having to play midweek for 7-8 weeks in a row to catch up.

Yep. Too much football. He's absolutely right.

I have zero sympathy for him.

Comes across as an entitled tw*t these days. Funny his moaning happens to coincide with his side not quite hitting the heights so far this season they have in recent years.

Shut up, do your job.

OTBC

Most managers wanted VAR. But only when it suits them.

Most managers want to play European football that has a league system instead of knockout. Until they get knocked out.

Most managers want to sign International players. Until the players want to represent their country.

Most managers want to sign foreign players instead of waiting for their academies to flourish. And moan when Brazilians have to travel thousands of miles there and back.

• Like 3

All I would say is that when I used to play (at a very low level) I used to run my socks off. I was one of the fittest players in the team & it used to take me 3-4 days to recover. Given the energy levels our players have to operate at I'm not surprised they're knackered.

• Like 1

Of course they are knackered but their assistance in recovery is phenomenal. injuries may or may not be caused by fatigue.

Right from the start there was much discussion about too much football and there is.

Cancel the Champions League? No. Too big an earner. 

Cancel the silly Nations League? A competition introduced since managers complained about releasing players. No. TV rights again.

Play a weakened team and lose and complain. Win and its all about the great strength of the club and its players.

I love NCFC but its the club and not just the players and matches. But I had little sympathy for it during lockdown and I have little now because they all had a chance to say No to finishing last season and starting this one.

21 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Of course they are knackered but their assistance in recovery is phenomenal. injuries may or may not be caused by fatigue.

Right from the start there was much discussion about too much football and there is.

Cancel the Champions League? No. Too big an earner. 

Cancel the silly Nations League? A competition introduced since managers complained about releasing players. No. TV rights again.

Play a weakened team and lose and complain. Win and its all about the great strength of the club and its players.

I love NCFC but its the club and not just the players and matches. But I had little sympathy for it during lockdown and I have little now because they all had a chance to say No to finishing last season and starting this one.

Assistance is one thing, but bodies can only recover so quickly and even if fatigue is not a primary reason, it most certainly can be a contributory factor. As a rough rule of thumb, when we (long-distance runners) race a rough rule we have is "one mile per day" in terms of racing and recovery. If our race was six miles long and we've absolutely flogged it, we'll need six days to fully get it out of our systems. Sure, with better-trained athletes, this drops somewhat. However, we're just distance runners. Not jumping, stretching, or sprinting so much.

I'll use myself as an example. At vets football, I'm a fit full-back/wing-back. I did a 10K on Saturday night one August evening for my first race in months. Knew I was on the bench the day after. As it happened, we had an injury and I came on 30 minutes in. I had 40 minutes in the tank, then even I had to come off tired.

It is simple, you cannot get blood out of stones, yet this is what we are asking our players to do. Not just Liverpool, not just the Premiership. Sure, we don't play in European competition, but we do have more league games. At lower levels you'll have different cup competitions instead.

Klopp might be commenting in terms of a team who he wants to win the top flight with, but his comments about too much football apply across the board. I'm somewhat surprised that many are merely linking it to his club and immediate results and not looking beyond tribal matters.

21 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Assistance is one thing, but bodies can only recover so quickly and even if fatigue is not a primary reason, it most certainly can be a contributory factor. As a rough rule of thumb, when we (long-distance runners) race a rough rule we have is "one mile per day" in terms of racing and recovery. If our race was six miles long and we've absolutely flogged it, we'll need six days to fully get it out of our systems. Sure, with better-trained athletes, this drops somewhat. However, we're just distance runners. Not jumping, stretching, or sprinting so much.

I'll use myself as an example. At vets football, I'm a fit full-back/wing-back. I did a 10K on Saturday night one August evening for my first race in months. Knew I was on the bench the day after. As it happened, we had an injury and I came on 30 minutes in. I had 40 minutes in the tank, then even I had to come off tired.

It is simple, you cannot get blood out of stones, yet this is what we are asking our players to do. Not just Liverpool, not just the Premiership. Sure, we don't play in European competition, but we do have more league games. At lower levels you'll have different cup competitions instead.

Klopp might be commenting in terms of a team who he wants to win the top flight with, but his comments about too much football apply across the board. I'm somewhat surprised that many are merely linking it to his club and immediate results and not looking beyond tribal matters.

I too until five years ago, ran long distance. 10k was a nip round. Half marathon distance was training. Not bullshining but that was what we chose because we preferred distance to pace.

And in your 60s and working as well, I agree, you couldn't always perform to your best. But the important thing was looking after yourself, recovering well and enjoying the next run.

A footballer is reputed to cover 10k a game. Personally I doubt its that far as I would run a 10k race in 40 minutes. That is non stop up and down hills. But footballers jog around for 60% of a game. But accepting they do means they are running two 10k a week. I must admit nobody was kicking my legs as I ran. I do not accept that is too much for a 26 year old though. Not physically anyway.

But Klopp was just a sore drawer today. Just the same as we still had a better team than Coventry today and missed chances to win the game, Liverpool had a good enough team to have beaten Brighton. 

So blame everything else. Didn't last season though did he.

The pressure got to him.

It is clearly a massive impact this year, I do wonder if somehow Norwich can keep within 7-10 points by new year whether these injuries may bizarrely be a good thing. We will have virtually a full team of rested players just as other teams will be seriously hitting the wall. No one really has any money in the championship either where we are probably fortunate enough to take a punt on a couple if we need to. Bournemouth have been quite lucky with injuries so far and the next 8 games are going to be really hard for us, if we could somehow get 10-12 points then I think we have a real chance 2nd half of the season. 

7 minutes ago, Big O said:

It is clearly a massive impact this year, I do wonder if somehow Norwich can keep within 7-10 points by new year whether these injuries may bizarrely be a good thing. We will have virtually a full team of rested players just as other teams will be seriously hitting the wall. No one really has any money in the championship either where we are probably fortunate enough to take a punt on a couple if we need to. Bournemouth have been quite lucky with injuries so far and the next 8 games are going to be really hard for us, if we could somehow get 10-12 points then I think we have a real chance 2nd half of the season. 

Exactly. Hang around the top 6 and January will be here soon enough.

• Like 1

It should make people realise that the players that take stick on here really are decent players. Imagine being able to match Coventry with 5 subs like Idah, Cantwell, Rupp, McClean and Hernandez. Says it all really 

If someone is getting paid between £5m and £13m a year, even if you take sick (injury) days, there should be no complaints, from anyone, about their workload.

Edited by Iwans Big Toe

I don't understand this nonsense about too many games, I'm sure in the 90s there were times (particularly over Christmas?) when games would be played on Boxing day and the day after that. There were certainly times when there were 2 games in 3 days. Did anyone moan about it? No, they got on with it.

Today we constantly hear how footballers are "athletes" and "fitter than ever", but they can't play 2 or 3 games a week in their chosen profession and with all the financial rewards it brings? 

Isn't it funny how Klopp always plays this card when he hasn't got the result he wanted? No other manager has ever moaned as much as him, and if they did so the media would be all over them, but apparently Klopp is some sort of messiah - the way he talks, you'd think he owns the sport.

43 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I too until five years ago, ran long distance. 10k was a nip round. Half marathon distance was training. Not bullshining but that was what we chose because we preferred distance to pace.

And in your 60s and working as well, I agree, you couldn't always perform to your best. But the important thing was looking after yourself, recovering well and enjoying the next run.

A footballer is reputed to cover 10k a game. Personally I doubt its that far as I would run a 10k race in 40 minutes. That is non stop up and down hills. But footballers jog around for 60% of a game. But accepting they do means they are running two 10k a week. I must admit nobody was kicking my legs as I ran. I do not accept that is too much for a 26 year old though. Not physically anyway.

But Klopp was just a sore drawer today. Just the same as we still had a better team than Coventry today and missed chances to win the game, Liverpool had a good enough team to have beaten Brighton. 

So blame everything else. Didn't last season though did he.

The pressure got to him.

Can't really agree with too much of that, simply as the fixture congestion is even worse this season compared to last. 10K's not really a nip round either. In fact, I find 5K harder than half-marathon as that's much more taxing on the cardiovascular system than a half-marathon, which is more about pure endurance rather than dragging your cardio system kicking and screaming along. 10K actually sounds about right, if not a little low for a central midfielder. Sure, they'll walk and jog a fair bit, but you'll know from interval training how hard that can be when sudden, unexpected sprints come around.

Also, no-one said it's too much for a 26-year-old player, but the sheer grind of it with games coming so thick and fast is. The bit where I do fully agree is your second paragraph - the important thing is indeed to look after yourself and recover well. What I'm saying is this: there's no way there is enough time to recover if players are expected to turn it on week in, week out and they're clocking up three games every week, practically every week for several in a row. Inadequate recovery is a huge contributory factor (and I'm a fit 40 y/o - vets football for us is O35s) in such muscle injuries. Chuck in an abbreviated pre-season to fit everything in, and you have the perfect storm we have here.

Klopp also had a go at Wilder and the 5 or 3 subs rule.

I bet WIlder would like to change things up as much as possible right now, as they are losing to West Brom and if they lose tonight, it will be the worst start in Prem history 

Didn't he also moan about being the 12:30 kick off again aswell? Even though the fact they are a live TV game means they get more money. I believe Liverpool got something like £21 million more than Norwich last season just for being on TV more. Guess he won't moan about that.

If Klopp doesn’t like the scheduling then all he has to do is tell his owners to withdraw the football club from all the money-spinning competitions that cause the fixture congestion.

10 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

If someone is getting paid between £5m and £13m a year, even if you take sick (injury) days, there should be no complaints, from anyone, about their workload.

What you get paid has nothing to do with what your physical limits are as a human being. Being paid more does not make you superhuman. However, I don't see that two games a week is such a huge ask. I can't help but think that clubs need to really dial down training for the first team players. 

Think Klopp should be made to watch The Big Match reruns on ITV4 on Saturday mornings.  Yesterday's was Arsenal v Liverpool in mid-70's.  Both would have been in action mid week, the pitch was a bobbly quagmire, there was only one sub, Alan Ball played with a broken rib but was still MOTM.  Then ask Klopp if he thinks he's a better manager than Bertie Mee or Bob Paisley.  ****!