lappinitup

*****Officiall Match Thread v Coventry*****

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Aside from Zimmermann, none of our subs has ever played a minute of professional league football. I think your 'not played in 14 months' and 'non-league three years ago' have considerably more pedigree than Omobamidele and McAlear's in the FA Youth Cup and U23 Premier League.

McGovern is just.... well, never mind.

You should've been out of sight before subs even came into it. Take care and let's do this again in February for a complete mismatch on the bench as well as the pitch

4 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

I guess because it's interesting to talk to fans other than your own after you've had a game. Try it some time

It would be much better with a pint in our hands! 

• Like 1

Farke's "greatness" is the style he has the team playing, his weakness is his substitutions. I know he has made good attacking changes in games where we were chasing goals - Vrancic, McLean, Martin, Mumba all came on in recent matches and won us late points - but bringing on Vrancic with 10 minutes left and needing a goal is that's not rocket science - most managers would do that ! No-one could say for sure that fresh legs for experience would have won us 3 points today because the subs never happened. But the sub that did happen Zimmerman for Martin most definitely cost us today. I'm not sure if Martin was tired or wanted to come off, if not it's a blunder - conceding the ball and inviting the opposition to swamp you. Farke has not learnt from Stoke - same player coming on to replace a forward. I know Farke takes advice from his no 2 during "live" games - so it's not all down to him. Our passing game, winning the ball in the attacking third are our strong points so why change what you're good at ? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Youssef's Safari said:

You should've been out of sight before subs even came into it. Take care and let's do this again in February for a complete mismatch on the bench as well as the pitch

?? Are you saying that purely on a monetary scale or because we had dominated that game before any subs were made? (which wasn't the case at all).

If it was money then why bother playing at all? Of course, you and I both know there are many other factors to take into consideration and some of those were evident today. 

Yep, see you in Feb👍

1 minute ago, NFN FC said:

It would be much better with a pint in our hands! 

I agree and in the absence of that the internet will have to do. Such a shame after being out of this league for nearly a decade to not be able to go round the grounds, pubs etc. 

1 minute ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

?? Are you saying that purely on a monetary scale or because we had dominated that game before any subs were made? (which wasn't the case at all).

If it was money then why bother playing at all? Of course, you and I both know there are many other factors to take into consideration and some of those were evident today. 

Yep, see you in Feb👍

I'm saying that based on the players still available. We are punching above our weight in pretty much every game hence we actually had to rotate out some of our better players in addition to covering injuries. Yes we don't have as many but our squad is also much smaller and with much less depth.

If McCallum can be recalled in January he obviously will which will leave us in a pickle at left back as you could tell by us having no cover at either full back slot today. Money isn't everything of course but if one team has a budget 10 times the other it might have just a bit of an effect!

Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Are we really arguing with Coventry fans over who had the ****ter side available today? 

Proper 'my dad would knock your dad out' levels.

Nah it's more the Yorkshireman sketch from Monty Python

7 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

I'm saying that based on the players still available. We are punching above our weight in pretty much every game hence we actually had to rotate out some of our better players in addition to covering injuries. Yes we don't have as many but our squad is also much smaller and with much less depth.

If McCallum can be recalled in January he obviously will which will leave us in a pickle at left back as you could tell by us having no cover at either full back slot today. Money isn't everything of course but if one team has a budget 10 times the other it might have just a bit of an effect!

Like I said, lots more factors here, like the playing with no Centre Forwards ploy. Only Arsenal (deliberately) to my knowledge, tried that once. Not recommended!

Good luck to you and I hope you survive and thrive. After your recent years, you guys certainly deserve good times

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NFN FC said:

I don't really get why you're on this forum. What do you require? A round of applause? 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 Well done, a deserved point. Good luck with the rest of the season. I can't wait to see you again in February for the reverse fixture at your stadium... Or whatever stadium. When we have a fitter squad 

He's here because it's quite sickening to hear you lot and the media bleating about poor old Norwich and their injury list. What you are all totally missing is that you could pick out any one of most of your team yesterday and they would have cost more than our starting XI put together (ours cost around a few 100k, btw!). So no matter which way you dress it up yes, you had a lot more in resources (wages/transfer fees) than we did yesterday and it is tiresome for people to make out that you were that hamstrung that it's a good result for you. Give Coventry and Robins some credit rather than blaming your terrible lack of resources...oh btw, Robins does actually use his youth players and get them experience, turning them into good players-maybe you should try that?

Edited by Huckerbywonderland

6 minutes ago, Huckerbywonderland said:

He's here because it's quite sickening to hear you lot and the media bleating about poor old Norwich and their injury list. What you are all totally missing is that you could pick out any one of most of your team yesterday and they would have cost more than our starting XI put together (ours cost around a few 100k, btw!). So no matter which way you dress it up yes, you had a lot more in resources (wages/transfer fees) than we did yesterday and it is tiresome for people to make out that you were that hamstrung that it's a good result for you. Give Coventry and Robins some credit rather than blaming your terrible lack of resources...oh btw, Robins does actually use his youth players and get them experience, turning them into good players-maybe you should try that?

You sound almost exactly like us last season. 

Many of us have said you played well and deserved a point. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Do a bit of research and then come back and tell us how many youth / young players DF has blooded since he came here. 

It's pretty much our model to get young players and develop them. Hence why we have such a got training facility and development program

6 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Do a bit of research and then come back and tell us how many youth / young players DF has blooded since he came here. 

Why all the moaning that it's all you had yesterday then? Not by all fans, granted.

1 minute ago, Huckerbywonderland said:

Why all the moaning that it's all you had yesterday then? Not by all fans, granted.

I guess there's not much to do during lockdown. People love to vent on this forum! 

17 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Are we really arguing with Coventry fans over who had the ****ter side available today? 

Proper 'my dad would knock your dad out' levels.

Actually it's more 'your dad would knock my dad out' going on the context of the debate....... 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Huckerbywonderland said:

Most of what I’ve read about Coventry has all been positive in the way they approached the game and Robins managed it throughout. 

But ANY club that has 12 players that could all be classed as first teamers, out injured, would be downbeat and pointing to it as being a major factor in a disappointing result/performance.

Any one of our players may be worth more than your entire team but having so many out disrupts momentum and cohesion within the team. That we are still top is incredible and hopefully it will continue,  but I really don’t know what you expect to read and hear when you come onto an oppositions forum in these circumstances.

Cov set up pretty well yesterday and didn’t just have 11 behind the ball as we saw with Millwall and Brum, though that may in turn have been linked to our injuries - with Emi and Pukki out in particular, they knew they could be a bit more progressive, and were also able to bring on 5 sets of fresh legs against a side they knew wouldn’t be able to do the same.  Taking advantage of the opponents weaknesses is part of the game so fair play....

...but I’m not sure quite what their supporters are expecting from us - supporters of any side with only 12 available players with first-team experience will think that things could have been different had a few more been available.

1 hour ago, Huckerbywonderland said:

Perhaps you can let us know which of your young players we should buy next. Maddison certainly turned out good and McCallum looks very promising.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Huckerbywonderland said:

Our objectives are bigger or higher than yours. Its not gloating because you have indirectly said the same thing.

That means as a club and supporters, the fact that we had a better side who couldn't play, a home record not as good as the away one and historically a poor record against you, we were fearing the worst outcome let alone the draw we got.

So its not bleating. We don't control what the media says about us but perhaps you might acknowledge that the media likes us because against all odds, we are a bottom Prem to top Championship club with little or no debt and as a club are respected for the way are run and the way we play.

We should have been out of sight in the first half but it was our fault we weren't. No problem, we let you back in and you punished us. Fair dues, a draw was a fair result in the end but don't deride us because of our players.

We haven't spent a fortune either. A good player on a free is good business so well done for doing that.

But you were a top side once and are not now and see us as a top side. So maybe we are in a better position because we are a better, well run club.

You guys are taking your first steps on the way to recovery and you all hope that consolidation, at the very least is the way to go for the next year or two? For now you'll have to rely on developing youth (as has been said, thanks for Madders and McCallum) but it sounds very much like the millions you received for those two (I guess there are others?) has had to be allocated to previous debts as opposed to investing in the squad? For your sake, I hope that process can, at least, keep you in the Championship and go from there.

Obviously it is about getting the balance right but we have had a scare or two, (hence why we had to sell Madders) over recent times, but we have a good set up atm (yes, we do look at developing youth btw) and our bank acc is good, but we have a business model that we are sticking to through necessity (as are you) and both models have been driven by market forces etc, so we are similar , just at different stages of progress I would say.

It looks like you are, albeit slowly because of your recent history, getting things right and I haven't seen a disparaging comment on your Club/team/Manager/Tactics from yesterday, only praise for your deserved point.

2 hours ago, Huckerbywonderland said:

What a load of uninformed nonsense.

I quite like Coventry as a team (the less said about the city the better)

2 hours ago, Huckerbywonderland said:

The moaning is actually mainly that he didn’t bring them on hence why we made no subs and ran out of steam.

as for the injuries yes we have a big squad and yes we can cope more than most but the identity of the players injured and the positions they play is why yesterday was a struggle for us.

we have no full backs. We have no strikers. We’ve lost our main goalkeeper and the replacement terrifies us. We have 12 or 13 genuine first team level players out. By whatever standards you judge it it is an extreme situation. 

We still probably would have won had Farke used his subs better but as it was you were good value for the point over the 90 minutes and Robins was impressive tactically. He looks a possible contender for our job at some point in the future.