lappinitup

*****Officiall Match Thread v Coventry*****

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

And you appear not to realise that players only played 45 mins for the u23s because they were needed for the first XI, not that it appears they had much chance of getting on

Indeed, those two lads were subbed at half time and it was clear they might be involved. Perhaps just to make up the homegrown quota though?

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

And you appear not to realise that players only played 45 mins for the u23s because they were needed for the first XI, not that it appears they had much chance of getting on

Don't be exceedingly silly. They clearly weren't needed for the first Xl because they weren't part of it! As I've said before, there is hardly a manager in football who is more disposed to give youth a chance than Farke. With 13 players out injured today we very nearly managed to hang on for all three points - ultimately we weren't - it happens sometimes - it doesn't mean that people have to instantly leap in and start haranguing our manager for the decisions he made. 

1 hour ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

He's never disrespectful to anyone...even when they deserve it.

OTBC 

👍👍👍

Reactions restored (do they last for a few hours until they become active? They must do).

Cheers my friend.

10 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You appear not to know that Omotoye has only just come back from injury and played 45 minutes for the U23s only yesterday afternoon. 

Aware of that. If he’s fit enough to play 45 mins yesterday and be on our bench I’m sure he could have managed 15 minutes. 

Jeez. Before kick off, I, and many others were quite happy to avoid defeat today (not defeatist, just realistic) and move on, and if it wasn't for a last minute goal, we would have been ecstatic tonight, yet here we are running this to pages and pages of basically minutiae.

I was jumping around at 1-0 and as has been said by another poster earlier in the day, felt that a win today would have been one of the results of the season , but I am more than happy to take  a draw, no matter what the circumstances. Could the substitutions have been different? Of course they could. Could those (non) substitutions have been effective? No one really knows. It's conjecture . Just because one option didn't end up working (but it came bloody close and didn't fail) doesn't automatically mean the alternative would  have worked more effectively. Was it right for Zimmerman to have been one of those substitutions? As a fan I would say yes. Another fan would say no. DF said yes. Should one of the other subs have come on? Some fans say yes, some say no. DF said no.

Rob Newman and Darren Eadie were talking at half time about us not needing to chase the a 2nd goal, but just control the game as Cov weren't that effective, and we came very close to doing that, just missed it by a gnat's todger.

What a difference one conceded goal does, hey? How quickly the mood can change.

Anyway, we are top of the League, with a whole team's worth of very influential players still to come back into the squad, throughout the season, so I am thoroughly enjoying my Guinness tonight with so much to look forward to. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

What do you base playing Martin up front on? He isn't Stiepermann?

I haven't heard any moans about Sorenson getting booked every game and getting the run around because he isn't a full back.

Whatever our feelings, and mine used to be that Emi should play no10, the fact is we are top of the table and unbeaten in 10 with DF making the decisions using his tactics.

Purely that he has pace, so he'll at least be able to make the runs into the box for Placheta.  To be honest I'd take literally anyone in the squad playing up top ahead of Steipermann 😄 

2 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Jeez. Before kick off, I, and many others were quite happy to avoid defeat today (not defeatist, just realistic) and move on, and if it wasn't for a last minute goal, we would have been ecstatic tonight, yet here we are running this to pages and pages of basically minutiae.

This does make me chuckle somewhat when you compare the value and presumed wages of both starting 11s today. Even with the Norwich injuries this should have been a home banker. Cov also without first choice keeper, striker, McCallum unavailable etc etc but don't have another first team as back up in case the other one's injured.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

This does make me chuckle somewhat when you compare the value and presumed wages of both starting 11s today. Even with the Norwich injuries this should have been a home banker. Cov also without first choice keeper, striker, McCallum unavailable etc etc but don't have another first team as back up in case the other one's injured.

At least Cov had another centre forward to pick!  🙂 

I was actually being respectful towards Coventry with my comments

1 minute ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

At least Cov had another centre forward to pick!  🙂 

I was actually being respectful towards Coventry with my comments

You say that but man for man we were worse in every position. Not having a go at you but perhaps some need to remember that they were up against a side whose combined budget was 5 times less than the money Norwich got from season 1 parachute payments alone. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

You say that but man for man we were worse in every position. Not having a go at you but perhaps some need to remember that they were up against a side whose combined budget was 5 times less than the money Norwich got from season 1 parachute payments alone. 

We had no left back, no striker and our goalkeeper wasn't cut out for this level in his prime, and he's now 36.

24 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

Rubbish. It was never a home banker when we only had 12 players with any first team experience and one of those making his first home start; I had it as a draw all along purely down to our injuries.  Feel free to come back when you have 13 players out rather than 3-4 and we will see what’s what.  Credit to Robins who got his tactics pretty much spot on, bringing guys on to take advantage of the 5 subs rule and inevitably tiring players.

You ought to get your chip off your shoulder about where we’ve each come from - this game is 11 v 11 and the Championship is tough for all.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

and I would tend to agree that if we had nigh on a full strength team, I would have been disappointed with a home draw, seeing as we were top, and at home to a team in the bottom few, but then, as we both know, football isn't like that!

We were severely disrupted, and with no strikers, our game plan was limited to say the least and in this League anyone can beat anyone (We've lost at home to bottom of the league Derby already!). Your team are no mugs and I am happy with a point. I guess you are also?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We had no left back, no striker and our goalkeeper wasn't cut out for this level in his prime, and he's now 36.

I raise you our goalkeeper's face getting fractured on Wednesday and having to bring on a winger who hasn't played in 14 months at right back for the only one fit at the club. Wilson has just over 50 pro appearances and he's 28, on paper you'd rather have McGovern I think. This isn't really a debate, I'm delighted with a point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Rubbish. It was never a home banker when we only had 12 players with any first team experience and one of those making his first home start; I had it as a draw all along purely down to our injuries.  Feel free to come back when you have 13 players out rather than 3-4 and we will see what’s what.  Credit to Robins who got his tactics pretty much spot on, bringing guys on to take advantage of the 5 subs rule and inevitably tiring players.

You ought to get your chip off your shoulder about where we’ve each come from - this game is 11 v 11 and the Championship is tough for all.

It was a home banker when you consider where we are in the league and we were down to our only full backs, only senior keeper etc etc. The gap in value of the respective teams was pretty monstrous. We won't have 13 guys out because our squad isn't big enough. Maybe if your manager advised his players not to attempt things like this he'd have more selection choices

image.thumb.png.400287e30a357b1d673559c0e49358c2.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

I raise you our goalkeeper's face getting fractured on Wednesday and having to bring on a winger who hasn't played in 14 months at right back for the only one fit at the club. Wilson has just over 50 pro appearances and he's 28, on paper you'd rather have McGovern I think. This isn't really a debate, I'm delighted with a point.

I’m sure most on here would happily swap keepers.

7 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

and I would tend to agree that if we had nigh on a full strength team, I would have been disappointed with a home draw, seeing as we were top, and at home to a team in the bottom few, but then, as we both know, football isn't like that!

We were severely disrupted, and with no strikers, our game plan was limited to say the least and in this League anyone can beat anyone (We've lost at home to bottom of the league Derby already!). Your team are no mugs and I am happy with a point. I guess you are also?

Absolutely, it's one point we didn't expect to get. Mind you it's probably one that we should've got at Watford so I suppose it's an evening out of fortunes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

I know you had problems with your goalkeeper, but nobody on this forum in their hearts of hearts has any faith in ours.

And at least your substitutes had played professional football. One of ours had.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Just now, Youssef's Safari said:

It was a home banker when you consider where we are in the league and we were down to our only full backs, only senior keeper etc etc. The gap in value of the respective teams was pretty monstrous. We won't have 13 guys out because our squad isn't big enough. Maybe if your manager advised his players not to attempt things like this he'd have more selection choices

image.thumb.png.400287e30a357b1d673559c0e49358c2.png

The ironic thing is that almost all of our injuries aren't match related and we all agree that this challenge was epically stupid on Aarons part 

8 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

We'd happily have Wilson in goal over McGovern 🙃

Edited by NFN FC

Just now, Youssef's Safari said:

Most of our fans were desperate for Camp to play ahead of this guy.

Fine, many of ours would happily have seen Barden (who has never played) start for us.  

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I know you had problems with your goalkeeper, but nobody on this forum in their hearts of hearts has any faith in ours.

And at least your substitutes had played professional football. One of ours had.

Jobello, who came on for Dabo, hadn't played in 14 months. Biamou was in non-league as little has 3 years ago. I don't really get the point that you're trying to make-we are delighted with a point for a reason!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

The ironic thing is that almost all of our injuries aren't match related and we all agree that this challenge was epically stupid on Aarons part 

Tell that to Farke who seems to consider it bad luck.

At least Jabello had played 1st team footy before, and he only had to last 15 mins 😉 and Jamie Vardy bridged that gap in less time, so you could have a gem on your hands there 😉 

As had been said the Aarons tackle was bad and none of our other injuries has come from similar challenges

3 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

Jobello, who came on for Dabo, hadn't played in 14 months. Biamou was in non-league as little has 3 years ago. I don't really get the point that you're trying to make-we are delighted with a point for a reason!

I don't really get why you're on this forum. What do you require? A round of applause? 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 Well done, a deserved point. Good luck with the rest of the season. I can't wait to see you again in February for the reverse fixture at your stadium... Or whatever stadium. When we have a fitter squad 

13 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

13 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

Aside from Zimmermann, none of our subs had ever played a minute of professional league football. I think your 'not played in 14 months' and 'non-league three years ago' have considerably more pedigree than Omobamidele and McAlear's appearances in the FA Youth Cup and U23 Premier League.

12 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

He's averaged about 5 games a season across his career.

McGovern is just.... well, never mind.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

5 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

I don't really get why you're on this forum. What do you require? A round of applause? 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 Well done, a deserved point. Good luck with the rest of the season. I can't wait to see you again in February for the reverse fixture at your stadium... Or whatever stadium. When we have a fitter squad 

I guess because it's interesting to talk to fans other than your own after you've had a game. Try it some time