lappinitup

*****Officiall Match Thread v Coventry*****

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

I didn't agree with the initial line-up. Always try and make a positive in sport and play to win and you never know what might. Felt we were too negative today in our approach and now it's cost us with yet another injury.

What are you on about? We completely dominated with the initial line-up and created 3 or 4 clear chances before our penalty. 

What could we have done more positively? We had EVERY AVAILABLE FIRST TEAM ATTACKING PLAYER on the pitch.

Jesus christ.

Just now, canarydan23 said:

I suspect you will be in the minority. Fortune favours the brave; Robins stepped up, Farke cowered behind his ipad. 

Fine by me. Nice to know I think more like an actual football manager (and a successful one) than another Mr impatient hindsight miserablist

• Like 2

Just now, hogesar said:

He's not in the minority. Farke didn't 'cower' - Coventry barely created anything either despite all their huffing and puffing.

Again, Farke knows better than you. So, so much better than you.

Robins changed the game, Farke didn't. Did you miss the last half hour? 

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

There’s little point naming them if you aren’t up to using them.

Branston. Care to tell us who else Farke names on the bench? The subs list was clearly was born from necessity - and not by choice! 

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Can’t agree with that - don’t name them if you aren’t willing to use them - no ones suggesting playing people out of positions n, but Stiepermann and Mario were two that looked spent and replacing them wouldn’t have harmed us defensively, but would have given Coventry somethings to think about. 

What do yo mean don't name them? We didn't have a choice? Our only other option would have been to just list one substitute. They were making up numbers in an emergency situation.

Just now, canarydan23 said:

Robins changed the game, Farke didn't. Did you miss the last half hour? 

Robins made 5 subs because he has a squad to choose from. Robins made 5 changes to the starting line up to rotate and keep his players fresh. We didn't have that option. Other than bringing on young players i'm guessing Farke has much better knowledge on their capabilities on than you. 

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Stiepermann and Mario were two that looked spent and replacing them wouldn’t have harmed us defensively, but would have given Coventry somethings to think about. 

Yep I'm with you here, I can't see there have been much risk at all in swapping out those 2 earlier on, the tide of the game was turning against us big time and both Vrancic and Stiepermann were offering very little in terms of mobility. 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 2

Disappointing but probably would have taken a point before the game. I think not being able to bring on experienced subs to replace already knackered starters has probably cost us today but hey ho, that’s football. Just hope Aarons ankle isn’t too bad. 

Just now, Fiery Zac said:

Fine by me. Nice to know I think more like an actual football manager (and a successful one) than another Mr impatient hindsight miserablist

Hindsight? I suspect I, like thousands of others, were screaming at the tele asking for a change from about the 65th minute given how clear it was what would happen. 

Farke is a great manager who's done a great job and had a tough hand to play today. But he played it poorly. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Rubbish. It’s fine margins. Coventry huffed and puffed but weren’t peppering the goal. Chucking a youngster on just for the sake of fresh legs may have worked, it may not have but to call it poor management is disrespectful and just wrong imo. I realise I’ll be in the minority but I trust the manager that’s got us to the top of the league (and promoted from it in the past) over us armchair fans.

Big supporter of Farke. Best manager we've had for years. I'm questioning that the match was slipping away. And I am a fan expressing a view. Who is talking about not trusting the manager. I'm talking about a lack of decision, not ripping him apart.

Try getting annoyed at someone else because I'm guessing you're not happy with the result so choose to rip into someone with a grievance. All views are relevant. Have some  respect yourself for the possibility that we all see things in different ways.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

not making a sub is a much a decision as making a sub

This. Why can’t people understand this. It was oh so predictable the posts of ‘make a sub Farke!’ without actually assessing what was going on on the pitch and who there was on the bench

Just now, sonyc said:

Big supporter of Farke. Best manager we've had for years. I'm questioning that the match was slipping away. And I am a fan expressing a view. Who is talking about not trusting the manager. I'm talking about a lack of decision, not ripping him apart.

Try getting annoyed at someone else because I'm guessing you're not happy with the result so choose to rip into someone with a grievance. All views are relevant. Have sone  respect yourself for the possibility that we all see things in different ways.

That's untrue. Not making a sub is just as much a decision as making a sub.

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

What bit was garbage? If it needs calling out, call it out specifically. If you do and you have a point then I'll consider changing my approach. 

All of it.

• Like 2

I’m happy to take a point from this banana skin game. No strikers, very limited creativity and a bereft bench so we have done wll to extend our unbeaten run to 10 games.

if you thought this was a tough game just wait until we go to Kenilworth Road.

Edited by Crafty Canary

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

What do yo mean don't name them? We didn't have a choice? Our only other option would have been to just list one substitute. They were making up numbers in an emergency situation.

Precisely.  We had 6 named subs, covering a number of positions, but looks like we were only happy using one or possibly two of them.  Remember the u23s are all professionals.  If they can’t do a job, in their usual role, to replace a knackered player for 10 mins, what’s the point?. 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

That's untrue. Not making a sub is just as much a decision as making a sub.

That was my point Hogesar.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

What are you on about? We completely dominated with the initial line-up and created 3 or 4 clear chances before our penalty. 

What could we have done more positively? We had EVERY AVAILABLE FIRST TEAM ATTACKING PLAYER on the pitch.

Jesus christ.

Calm down. I said yesterday I hope we didn't play Stiepermann and stand by that. 2nd half we had zero attacking threat otherthan the odd run from Placheta. Coventry had too much time to huff and puff and the last 20 we were blowing out our arses. We could have won that match first half with a proper striker on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

This. Why can’t people understand this. It was oh so predictable the posts of ‘make a sub Farke!’ without actually assessing what was going on on the pitch and who there was on the bench

I was aware of what was going on on the pitch.  We were not occupying them enough in their own half.  Putting someone on with some energy would have been enough, it would not have put more pressure on the defence.  Farke got it wrong today.  Simples.

Edited by shefcanary

Will take a point in the circumstances, but I think it's fair to ask questions on game management again. 

We couldn't get out of our own half from about 55' and 40 minutes of pressure eventually told. Similarly, Zimmermann is clearly not match fit, been brought on twice into intense pressure and twice we've conceded late goals.

It's a double-edged sword- subs wouldn't have made us as defensively sound, but with a bit more energy and intent up front we shouldn't have had to defend so much. Twice in two games we've given up the initiative late on, twice punished.

Now all there is to be done is hope for positive news on Aarons. Disappointing, regardless of injury issues.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Try getting annoyed at someone else because I'm guessing you're not happy with the result so choose to rip into someone with a grievance. All views are relevant. Have some  respect yourself for the possibility that we all see things in different ways.

Please don’t tell me how I’m feeling. I’m happy to debate which I did (I just happen to think your previous opinion was rubbish) but I did not have this opinion because I’m upset we lost. 

Just have to take a point and move on from this with all of these injuries...and still top

Injuries are our biggest opponent this season as its an incredibly weak league

Buendia will be back on Tuesday and hopefully Pukki

Quite what we do at the back if Aarons is out is anyones guess?....Rupp at right back?...3 at the back with Zimmerman??

Frustrating. Not a disaster but three points we could have held onto. For a manager who supposedly trusts in youth I think Farkes lack of trust in our U23 side has cost us in the last two games. On Tuesday because he should have taken Pukki and Emi off as soon as we went three up and today because we were dead on our feet and desperately needed fresh legs in the last 20 minutes but he wouldn’t bring them on. In particular a bit of pace and youthful running up front was desperately needed.

the Stiepermann up front solution didn’t work at all. It’s what I would have done and I get why we did it (had no choice really) but I’d rather see a youthful striker with a bit of movement up there if Pukki is not back for Luton.

What the hell we do if Max is out now as well I don’t know. That decision to loan McCullum out looks more and more ludicrous by the week. 

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Just have to take a point and move on from this with all of these injuries...and still top

Injuries are our biggest opponent this season as its an incredibly weak league

Buendia will be back on Tuesday and hopefully Pukki

Quite what we do at the back if Aarons is out is anyones guess?....Rupp at right back?...3 at the back with Zimmerman??

3 a the back would probably be the safer choice.

Much as I trust Ruup and think he has come in leap and bounds he's only ever looked good in midfield, and returning him after injury out of position is not something I would want to see being risked

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

WHY DIDNT FARKE BRING ON ALL THESE PLAYERS IVE NEVER SEEN PLAY AND KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BUT WOULD CLEARLY HAVE DONE BETTER THAN THE FIRST TEAM PLAYERS WE DID PLAY BECAUSE WE CONCEDED A GOAL.

Thats genuinely how stupid and naive the complaints on here are.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Can’t agree with that - don’t name them if you aren’t willing to use them - no one’s suggesting playing people out of position, but Stiepermann and Mario were two that looked spent and replacing them wouldn’t have harmed us defensively, while giving Coventry something to think about. 

How do you know it wouldn't have harmed?

If anything we could have defended higher up the pitch and helped midfield more. But we failed to take our chances earlier. And teams will create chances. Even Lynn scored despite getting a hiding.

But I don't understand the assumption that bringing on an academy player would have made us better. They are only on the bench because we haven't got anyone else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Frustrating. Not a disaster but three points we could have held onto. For a manager who supposedly trusts in youth I think Farkes lack of trust in our U23 side has cost us in the last two games. On Tuesday because he should have taken Pukki and Emi off as soon as we went three up and today because we were dead on our feet and desperately needed fresh legs in the last 20 minutes but he wouldn’t bring them on. In particular a bit of pace and youthful running up front was desperately needed.

the Stiepermann up front solution didn’t work at all. It’s what I would have done and I get why we did it (had no choice really) but I’d rather see a youthful striker with a bit of movement up there if Pukki is not back for Luton.

What the hell we do if Max is out now as well I don’t know. That decision to loan McCullum out looks more and more ludicrous by the week. 

So uhh.. can we recall him yet? 🤔

Just now, Jim Smith said:

Ah so Farke doesn't trust our u23s, how good are they then? Are they ready? You clearly know.