Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Today's Nightmare Injury News

19 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm always baffled that we announce injuries the day before. What don't we leave the opposition guessing until an hour before kick off? 

It is odd yes.

But then no-one knows what TDP is actually like anyway or how Marco might be in attack.

Let's face it we don't know ourselves!

Doesn’t Bielsa pretty much announce the team a few days ahead? Certainly shows confidence, ‘this is our team, what are you going to do to beat us?’

I have to say I read a piece I think on Domogalla early last year where it was said that the key thing we noticed about PL teams is the amount of short-range sprints etc they do, and had adapted our training to suit. It then also coincided that it was usually our taller, heavier players that spent most of the year getting injured.

At the end of the day, professional coaches know they can't red-line the entire squad and expect to finish first, so I don't think there's some grand conspiracy. However, I'd argue Unavailable XI would get at least a draw from Match Fit XI at this point and that does bear some discussion.

25 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Ok I’m going to be that guy... for the second season in a row we have had extreme injury issues. Way worse than our rivals. https://www.sportsgambler.com/football/injuries-suspensions/england-championship/ 
Is the training too intense?

I understand your point and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a slight concern for me too, but the thing is, it's probably the reason why half of our goals this season have come after the 75th minute.

I suppose intense training gives with one hand and takes with the other. If you reduce the intensity you'd probably have fewer injured players but we wouldn't have the fitness edge on opponents like we do now.

Personally, as long as we're top of the league, I'd say that I'm happy with the balance right now.

16 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I understand your point and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a slight concern for me too, but the thing is, it's probably the reason why half of our goals this season have come after the 75th minute.

I suppose intense training gives with one hand and takes with the other. If you reduce the intensity you'd probably have fewer injured players but we wouldn't have the fitness edge on opponents like we do now.

Personally, as long as we're top of the league, I'd say that I'm happy with the balance right now.

We are definitely a fit team. But let’s not kid ourselves 1) our rivals are also fit 2) we have a month now without most of our attack so I predict some disappointing results. We also had no defenders in the premier league which basically caused us to be relegated. Do the gains remotely outweigh these massive losses?

Great season so far but mistakes neet do be spoted

it's a shame that we again involved in same situation  that ruined last year with 11 inj players !

Wtihout doubt is a joke to have midd August 33 players squad and now to play without recognasible striker  36 y old keeper only one full back available etc etc.

First of all big mistake to let Moritz and Drmic to stay at his home countrys and tranining  individually ,as same time received every week his fat check's.

If they surplus and not find clubs on time put them at least with youths  and be availabale on situatons like this.

Also with nightmare calendar reveiled with evry 3 days game etc why on earth we not keep  Sinani if we let Drmich to Swiitzerland?

If no enough game time lets put him to play for u23 !

Same as full back options to stay only with Quintilla for 45+games is no way acsepteble.

Lucky our fragile 3 cetre backs still fit somehow and this is only area who is not affected with inj who is curiouse ofc.

We must pray to come to January without more damage and keep some decent results but without doubt will be very long month!?

Edited by Boris

39 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

We are definitely a fit team. But let’s not kid ourselves 1) our rivals are also fit 2) we have a month now without most of our attack so I predict some disappointing results. We also had no defenders in the premier league which basically caused us to be relegated. Do the gains remotely outweigh these massive losses?

a) Not quite as fit as us.

b) Given our league position, I'd say so.

8 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

As thirsty pointed out yesterday. If you look at canaries.co.uk Dickson-Peters has been added to the first team squad.

I think he has a real chance of playing tomorrow. 

isn't he injured as well?

But did we have any of these issues in the first two years under Farke? This is his fourth season in charge but only the second season where we have faced a significant injury crisis. Not really an indication of any real issue with the training.

And haven't the majority of these injuries this season also been caused by comings together / unfortunate falls / twists etc? That suggests to me that it we indeed have been unfortunate. 

I also personally think Farke and the coaching staff are competent enough to not overtrain the players into injury, but there you go...

Based on Liverpool's injury list would you question Jurgen Klopp's training methods too? 

Let's not forget as well that this is an unprecedented season of congestion too, aren't the number muscle injuries so far this season the most they have ever been or something? Hardly suprising, counting international games its been pretty much a game every 3 days!

4 hours ago, sonyc said:

It is odd yes.

But then no-one knows what TDP is actually like anyway or how Marco might be in attack.

Let's face it we don't know ourselves!

https://www.windsorobserver.co.uk/news/16595551.young-football-star-slough-makes-international-debut-scotland/

Seems he's one that has been noticed by the big boys for a while, not that he's some kind of wonderkid or something but shows how much of a natural talent he must be.

I honestly think that if he's ever gonna "do a rashford" and make waves on an unexpected debut, a weakened Coventry at home would be a great place to do it. Stiepermann in behind in his normal position as well rather than having to move him away. Last time we had Stiep behind a young, raw, unproven forward against a questionable keeper, Idah banged in a hattrick (Preston FA cup).

If it doesn't work then so be it... not like we have much different to offer and we will be 1 game closer to Pukki and Hugill coming back and Emi being back.

After watching Placheta struggle to run the channels last time out and being there to witness Darel Russells stint up top, I'd rather not put a midfielder up front lacking the right kind of physicality. We need Placheta on the wing anyway.

Another shout has to go to Rob Nizet. He's looked class for the youth recently and is a Belgium youth International so hardly a nobody. Be good to have him as an option down the left if we need Sorenson to go more central. Cant say I know much else about the rest.

If anything, we need players up the top end to make the ball stick, even if we struggle to break them down. Allowing Cov to do what Stoke did 2nd half to us would be suicidal with McGovern in net. Sure he is capable of a decent reflex save but he gets completely bullied by set pieces and balls in from deep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I suspect the reason for our late goals is primarily down to our possession based game, we tire teams out by passing the ball so well and stretching them constantly.   There’s clearly something not right or we are the unluckiest club in English pro football.    

In terms of the injury problems, I think it's fair to say that last year was more of an anomaly, with us consistently getting injuries in the CB position, I can't remember many long term absences outside of that, and certainly not the level so far this year. When it comes to this year it could well be possible that the high workload put onto the players in training, combined with a ridiculously packed schedule, has caught us out. However I'm sure our coaching and sports science team are smart enough to figure out a problem, and at the very least lower the workload to protect the remaining fit players.

8 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

I suspect the reason for our late goals is primarily down to our possession based game, we tire teams out by passing the ball so well and stretching them constantly.   There’s clearly something not right or we are the unluckiest club in English pro football.    

Well yes, that’s the whole point of it, but let’s not forget that playing the dominant possession game for 90+ minutes is not an accident and requires considerable fitness and effort from our players in order to maintain it. Those late goals are the result and product of the extra hard work we put it in, and perhaps it is balanced by costing us in the treatment room, but for as long as we’re leading the table then there can be no question the gain outweighs the pain - just going to have to revolve players as best as we can during this relentless schedule. January will be interesting!

Edited by Alex Moss
Words jumbled!
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Doesn’t Bielsa pretty much announce the team a few days ahead? Certainly shows confidence, ‘this is our team, what are you going to do to beat us?’

Bielsa used to announce his team on a Wednesday then send someone to spy on opposition training on Thursday and Friday knowing they would base their set piece practice on the team he had announced. 

Many years ago Bob Paisley used to announce his team on a Wednesday but that was purely to terrify the opposition! 

8 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

a) Not quite as fit as us.

b) Given our league position, I'd say so.

A) what proof do you have that we are fitter than Brentford?

B) you are being wilfully obtuse. The injures have happened in the last few weeks and mainly last until Jan. unfortunately leagues aren’t won in November. As I said, I predict a difficult December and willing to bet we won’t be top 2 on Jan 1

7 hours ago, repman said:

In terms of the injury problems, I think it's fair to say that last year was more of an anomaly, with us consistently getting injuries in the CB position, I can't remember many long term absences outside of that, and certainly not the level so far this year. When it comes to this year it could well be possible that the high workload put onto the players in training, combined with a ridiculously packed schedule, has caught us out. However I'm sure our coaching and sports science team are smart enough to figure out a problem, and at the very least lower the workload to protect the remaining fit players.

I disagree. As discussed, Farke talked about just how much sprint training Prem teams do and adapted accordingly. No coincidence that the bigger heavier players picked up early injuries with this adjustment.

12 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

A) what proof do you have that we are fitter than Brentford?

B) you are being wilfully obtuse. The injures have happened in the last few weeks and mainly last until Jan. unfortunately leagues aren’t won in November. As I said, I predict a difficult December and willing to bet we won’t be top 2 on Jan 1

A) none of us have any irrefutable proof. What we do have is our league position and what we see during matches against opposition. Vs Brentford it was a very even match that looked like they would see it out for a win. That they didn’t can be argued however you want. I believe our fitness levels balanced with the quality of players we have meant we can (and have) out passed and played with a higher intensity than our opposition and achieved significant results because of this.

B) Surely someone that believes the amount of injuries we have isn’t purely coincidence also should believe that the amount of late goals we score cannot be coincidence either. So take away the training to protect the players more and we may miss out on some of the wins and late draws. Would you swap a full squad for us clinging on to the play off places at this stage?

As I said it can be argued either way, this is what I believe based on the evidence I have. I’m frustrated by the amount of injuries we have and  am very interested in what will happen in the next few games.

But would I want us to rewind and change our training methods? Absolutely NOT. It may sound dismissive and confrontational but the point is still simple, we’re top of the league partly because of our training routines.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

A) none of us have any irrefutable proof. What we do have is our league position and what we see during matches against opposition. Vs Brentford it was a very even match that looked like they would see it out for a win. That they didn’t can be argued however you want. I believe our fitness levels balanced with the quality of players we have meant we can (and have) out passed and played with a higher intensity than our opposition and achieved significant results because of this.

B) Surely someone that believes the amount of injuries we have isn’t purely coincidence also should believe that the amount of late goals we score cannot be coincidence either. So take away the training to protect the players more and we may miss out on some of the wins and late draws. Would you swap a full squad for us clinging on to the play off places at this stage?

As I said it can be argued either way, this is what I believe based on the evidence I have. I’m frustrated by the amount of injuries we have and  am very interested in what will happen in the next few games.

But would I want us to rewind and change our training methods? Absolutely NOT. It may sound dismissive and confrontational but the point is still simple, we’re top of the league partly because of our training routines.

We are top in November, this isn’t proof it works if we struggle in December because we have to play the kids. 

The reason why we are fresher than other teams at the latter stages of a game is much more down to them chasing the ball all game. It is no coincidence that we have 65%+ possession and then score late goals. When in the premiership we didn’t have the possession advantage and it was us who looked jaded in the final 15.

I presume  that fitness and training are finely tuned and linked with tactics with the ball and more importantly without it.

High intensity 10 yards sprint seem to relate to as much as not having the ball as with. As a team, but especially the midfield , mobbing an opposition player to regain possession and being in a forward position, is key to cut through a perhaps defence under pressure and outnumbered.

Do this towards the end of a game is when   we have had success as the opposition lose focus or mentally and physically tire.  Strangely I have to say the Stoke team the other night looked a bit “frit” in first the  half, for obvious reasons as they knew what we were going to do to them., tired or not.😀

Injuries are a by product of our training methods but promotion will be justification of its intensity.

8 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Well yes, that’s the whole point of it, but let’s not forget that playing the dominant possession game for 90+ minutes is not an accident and requires considerable fitness and effort from our players in order to maintain it. Those late goals are the result and product of the extra hard work we put it in, and perhaps it is balanced by costing us in the treatment room, but for as long as we’re leading the table then there can be no question the gain outweighs the pain - just going to have to revolve players as best as we can during this relentless schedule. January will be interesting!

There’s no criticism in my post, I was pointing out that the reason teams tire is more our play than our fitness although I recognise the fitness is also necessary.

As Farke says though, it’s about where we are after 46 games, not 13.

Your point smacks of the hare and the tortoise  .... and you’re the hare!

...unlikely well be leading the table for too long with 10 plus players on the treatment table.    Although we can hope.

12 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

Ok I’m going to be that guy... for the second season in a row we have had extreme injury issues. Way worse than our rivals. https://www.sportsgambler.com/football/injuries-suspensions/england-championship/ 
Is the training too intense?

Say it how it is. It's the same old same old with the same old same old doing it. It's called a perpetual circle if nothing is done to change matters.

9 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Along with a massive slice of luck so far.

18 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Careful now as we will have none of that talk around here. 😜🤣

It does seem to have triggered the 'little old Norwich' defensive shield a bit.

8 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

We are top in November, this isn’t proof it works if we struggle in December because we have to play the kids. 

The reason why we are fresher than other teams at the latter stages of a game is much more down to them chasing the ball all game. It is no coincidence that we have 65%+ possession and then score late goals. When in the premiership we didn’t have the possession advantage and it was us who looked jaded in the final 15.

1-1 at home to Coventry. And so it begins 

3 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

1-1 at home to Coventry. And so it begins 

And so what begins? 10 games unbeaten, top of the league. That's pretty decent, isn't it?

21 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

https://www.windsorobserver.co.uk/news/16595551.young-football-star-slough-makes-international-debut-scotland/

Seems he's one that has been noticed by the big boys for a while, not that he's some kind of wonderkid or something but shows how much of a natural talent he must be.

I honestly think that if he's ever gonna "do a rashford" and make waves on an unexpected debut, a weakened Coventry at home would be a great place to do it. Stiepermann in behind in his normal position as well rather than having to move him away. Last time we had Stiep behind a young, raw, unproven forward against a questionable keeper, Idah banged in a hattrick (Preston FA cup).

If it doesn't work then so be it... not like we have much different to offer and we will be 1 game closer to Pukki and Hugill coming back and Emi being back.

After watching Placheta struggle to run the channels last time out and being there to witness Darel Russells stint up top, I'd rather not put a midfielder up front lacking the right kind of physicality. We need Placheta on the wing anyway.

Another shout has to go to Rob Nizet. He's looked class for the youth recently and is a Belgium youth International so hardly a nobody. Be good to have him as an option down the left if we need Sorenson to go more central. Cant say I know much else about the rest.

If anything, we need players up the top end to make the ball stick, even if we struggle to break them down. Allowing Cov to do what Stoke did 2nd half to us would be suicidal with McGovern in net. Sure he is capable of a decent reflex save but he gets completely bullied by set pieces and balls in from deep.

Darrell Russell that's a blast from the past , loved him hope he's good

45 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

And so what begins? 10 games unbeaten, top of the league. That's pretty decent, isn't it?

Wilfully misunderstood my point again. No point being top of the league in November to have to then play kids and no striker for 8 games and throw away points against struggling teams.

13 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

Wilfully misunderstood my point again. No point being top of the league in November to have to then play kids and no striker for 8 games and throw away points against struggling teams.

Why can't we just be perfect? Why can't we just win all the games? *rolls eyes*