Alex Moss

Finally, some words from Stuart Webber.

Must admit, I thought it was a given that Skipp goes back to Spurs at the end of the season, but in Webber’s final sentence it sounds to me like that may not necessarily be the case. He does sound like he’s tempering things so we don’t sound desperate if it comes to us putting in a bid, which makes sense obviously.

13 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Must admit, I thought it was a given that Skipp goes back to Spurs at the end of the season, but in Webber’s final sentence it sounds to me like that may not necessarily be the case. He does sound like he’s tempering things so we don’t sound desperate if it comes to us putting in a bid, which makes sense obviously.

I could see Gibson signing for us but still not sure about Skipp mostly down to how clear it's been that Spurs rate him. Don't get me wrong though I think Skipp is a fantastic player with bags of potential.. But that's a part of the problem.

Nevermind almost every Spurs fan going on about him being their 'future captain' and all.. 🤔

Skipp for another season would be a coup. I know he is highly regarded at spurs and I read, by Moaninho, but its a funny old game, Spurs are flying atm and Jose will want to drive on in Europe and the league, this may leave Olly Skipp temporarily surplus to requirements for a top end Prm side with ambitions in Europe.

FWIW I consider Skipp to be exactly what we needed right now, well done SW for securing his services, for this season anyway....and hopefully beyond. I wish Spurs, a team I am normally ambivalent about, every success this season as I believe that as they progress under JM, the greater the likelihood that he'll be available to us ,maybe not to buy ,but for another seasons loan.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 2

Yep, it’s long been rumoured and therefore I guess just taken as gospel that Mourinho still rates him incredibly highly. But this was an interesting article yesterday from an ex-Canary, and so it makes you wonder on how much Mourinho really does rate Olly. Either he does see him as a Spurs first teamer, or those original comments were something that had been carefully slipped out to add a few future 0’s to the asking price...

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/11/26/tim-sherwood-claims-tottenham-boss-told-daniel-levy-3-players-not-good-enough/

If there's one coach you want in place to stop Skipp's progress, its Mourinho.... he's frightened to death of playing young kids.... more chance of us keeping Skipp with him at Spurs...... that said, we need to be looking to find our own and its too much of a gamble to rely on the possibility of Skipp coming back.... one for our scouts... would also like to see a gradual introduction of Sorensen in there (when injuries permit) to see if he can get up to the required speed.

Skipp is great for a team at our level but his name isn't foreign enough for the big boys. A couple of bad games elsewhere and he would have the 'fans' on his back.... with us legend status awaits.

Hopefully being a lot better prepared equates to spending a lot more money. Securing Skipp and Gibson won't be enough to prevent relegation I fear.

At the moment I would much rather we made an offer for skipp than Gibson.   Both playing well but Skipp seems to have the scope to cope with the step up should we get promoted.  

Historic lack of game time may mean we are not yet seeing peak Gibson, so it will  be interesting to see how he improves over the winter.  He seems to be at a similar level to Hanley / defence last season and we know that wasnt really good enough.

10 minutes ago, ZLF said:

At the moment I would much rather we made an offer for skipp than Gibson.   Both playing well but Skipp seems to have the scope to cope with the step up should we get promoted.  

Historic lack of game time may mean we are not yet seeing peak Gibson, so it will  be interesting to see how he improves over the winter.  He seems to be at a similar level to Hanley / defence last season and we know that wasnt really good enough.

10 goals conceded in 13 games. 5 clean sheets. Those are the only stats needed to justify the improvement in defence, which Skipp, Gibson and indeed Sorensen have all contributed to.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Hopefully being a lot better prepared equates to spending a lot more money. Securing Skipp and Gibson won't be enough to prevent relegation I fear.

We’d have to add more for sure IF promotion was gained this season, but the signings of Skipp and Gibson I feel would be a bloody good first step mind!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ZLF said:

I would suggest it's impossible to make any judgement about our defence last year - we often played with only one (half fit) proper CD!

51 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Tragically I fear another relegation would be seen as all part of our long term game plan.

2 hours ago, jaywick_canery said:

Skipp is great for a team at our level but his name isn't foreign enough for the big boys. A couple of bad games elsewhere and he would have the 'fans' on his back.... with us legend status awaits.

Yeah, a bit like Kane! Honestly, the cr@p people come out with 

Defenders and midfielders are ten a penny and I'll wager we have the equivalent of Skipp in our academy set up already.

As for Kane... great at falling over and scoring penalties isn't he?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I would suggest it's impossible to make any judgement about our defence last year - we often played with only one (half fit) proper CD!

Very good (forgotten) point, Ron 👍

1 hour ago, ZLF said:

Skipp is a 19 year old England youth international with a lot of potential. I imagine they price demanded for him would be much higher than what we have agreed for Gibson already.

A second loan spell may work for Skipp though and I agree with those who say Jose isn't the coach to bring him through.

20 minutes ago, jaywick_canery said:

Defenders and midfielders are ten a penny and I'll wager we have the equivalent of Skipp in our academy set up already.

The fact that you can't spell CANARY in your own name has caused me to ignore all your posts from now on. 

Binner 

10 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

The fact that you can't spell CANARY in your own name has caused me to ignore all your posts from now on. 

Binner 

With all due respect to the poster, I think they said he or she was dyslexic in all fairness.

36 minutes ago, jaywick_canery said:

Ah yes, Kane who has scored 213 goals so far in his carrer is 'great at scoring penalties' 🙃

14 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

With all due respect to the poster, I think they said he or she was dyslexic in all fairness.

All the more reason to double check your spellings 🙃

Interesting one for me, bit like Brewster so highly rated at Liverpool yet sold to Sheffield! 
Spurs have got bags of youngsters coming through and not all of them will likely go onto their first team, Skipp is definitely superb in our team, but I don’t see him getting much game time at spurs for the next few years!
One youngster who comes to my mind is another Liverpool starlet who’s just finding himself being loaned out each year or on the injury table is young Ben Woodburn, absolute talent three years ago at 18, now 21 and hasn’t developed as he might had he jumped ship to a stable clubs first team!

Sometimes players need to be realistic and take that jump. Who knows where Skipp will be next year, but he’s here for now.

Skipp has done very well for us so far this season, but at this stage I would question whether he has the necessary speed and athleticism to make it as a regular midfielder in the Premier League. 

• Like 1

Have no doubt Skipp will be mindful he can play first team here, if we get into the PL and he is still performing superbly as he is. there is not simple hope in hell at Spurs for him in the first team currently or for the next couple of years. Except possibly the odd cup game early doors, he will struggle to make their bench with Mourinho there and he will know this.

A season of him and BG bedding into our team is a wonderful way of seeing if it works and especially as seeing good defenders and really good midfielders are not in abundance for our budget, we would do well to keep a hold of both of them.

• Like 2

Skipp, Sorensen and Rupp - you know what, that's a tasty-looking central midfield for me.

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Skipp, Sorensen and Rupp - you know what, that's a tasty-looking central midfield for me.

Gotta be honest if there ever a player I was wrong about it's Ruup.

There I was wanting him out the squad yet now I can't picture him not being in the squad. How the turn tables turn and all that.

5 hours ago, jaywick_canery said:

Tragically I fear another relegation would be seen as all part of our long term game plan.

Unfortunately, I would have to agree. I think Webber & Co. saw how financially fruitful it was to gain promotion, not spend anything and then be relegated with a pocket full of cash.

Can't say that as a business model in the sporting industry that that is a bad idea. However, from the side of us fans.....it's mind-numbingly frustrating.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CirclePoint said:

Unfortunately, I would have to agree. I think Webber & Co. saw how financially fruitful it was to gain promotion, not spend anything and then be relegated with a pocket full of cash.

Can't say that as a business model in the sporting industry that that is a bad idea. However, from the side of us fans.....it's mind-numbingly frustrating.

And to cook the financial report committing fraud in the process yes?