unique

Buendia’s sending off...

1 hour ago, paul moy said:

Appeals on yellows would open up another can of worms, could lead to what would be considered frivilous appeals and result in longer bans being applied. Emi has only got a one game ban and hopefully he will learn a bit more self-control to avoid further recurrences.   He did not learn after the earlier three match ban so I don't hold out much hope personally. He reminds me a lot of a certain Oliveira unfortunately, temperamentally.

Absolutely not. Oliveira had a really vicious streak which is entirely different from Emi's hot-bloodedness.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Absolutely not. Oliveira had a really vicious streak which is entirely different from Emi's hot-bloodedness.

They both have a tendency to sulk and do irrational things.  Emi is now setting a record as I'm not aware recently of any other player being sent off twice for us. He's odds on for a third imo. 

Edited by paul moy

22 minutes ago, paul moy said:

They both have a tendency to sulk and do irrational things.  Emi is now setting a record as I'm not aware recently of any other player being sent off twice for us. He's odds on for a third imo. 

I'll take a red card every couple of seasons in exchange for what he brings on the pitch to be honest.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, paul moy said:

I think he's already on 3, he got sent off versus Stoke, Burnley and also Watford (I believe) last season or the season before didn't he?

As others have said, if it is his temperament that is stopping him getting a move then I would rather they keep coming than lose him completely... 

And despite his record I would not describe him as a malicious player at all, its not like he's put in any Roy Keane / Kevin Muscat type tackles - he's just a bit too eager to win the ball back sometimes, that's literally all it is. Really hard to fault him too much IMO and I don't see it as a significant flaw which would justify him not getting a big money move - although I am certainly thankful for it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Emi makes Maddison look like Oliver Skipp

Hardly. Maddison is a much better player than Emi is, or probably ever will be.

13 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I agree and also I've never seen Maddison sent off and don't expect to as he's such a cool customer, as is Grealish. Top players know how to not to react because they understand it will devalue them in the market amongst other things.   

18 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I mean I wouldn't agree that Buendia makes Maddison look like Skipp, but no way is Maddison a 'much better player' either. They both bring different qualities and both stick out like a sore thumb in the championship. Do you think Maddison would've fared much better in our team last season than Buendia? I'm not convinced! 

I'm also not sure if I would trade Buendia for Maddison in a straight swap if it was offered - it would be a close call for me. Perhaps Maddison's goal scoring would shade it for some but Buendia has been central in nearly everything good we've done this season without necessarily being quite as dangerous from 20+ yards out. His stats show that and they also showed plenty of good in our prem season despite the team overall failing massively. 

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

I despair. Emi got us promoted. Maddison didn't 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Baath did get yellow-carded for that, didn't he? I'm sure the referee cautioned him afterwards.

If he did I missed it, but you're right that he picked up a yellow somewhere.

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

As others have said, if it is his temperament that is stopping him getting a move then I would rather they keep coming than lose him completely...

It is not his temperament that stops him, Prem clubs just don't fancy him at the price.

33 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I think that rather underestimates everyone else, a lot of players ‘got us promoted’, many points were won with Emi not on the pitch.

45 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Seriously? If you can't recognise that Maddison is a better football player than Buendia then you really should stop watching football!

Maddison kept us up almost single handedly, is an England international and plays as one of the better players in a very well established Leicester team; his market value has probably doubled from the £20m odd we got for him. Buendia attracted no bids.

Buendia played in a much better team and didn't at all "get us promoted" If anyone did that, it was Pukki, but overall it was a much better team than the one Maddison played in. He also got sent off and missed 3 potentially crucial games - when, incidentally, people like you almost killed Cantwell with abuse because he wasn't Buendia.

Emi is a good player - but not in any way, shape or form remotely close to Maddison's standard.

Edited by sgncfc
  • Like 2

I'm also not sure if I would trade Buendia for Maddison in a straight swap if it was offered

Then you are barking mad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

According to whoscored it was after the goal was scored.    Assume the ref took the view we scored so that was enough of a punishment.

As for Emi the first booking was soft, but you see them given, but highlighted what was excellent his work ethic,  knew he had over run the ball and just tried to retrieve it,  and the second was never a straight red as his eyes were clearly on the ball through out,  but was definitely a yellow though as his foot was high.   As such it was one of the rare decisions the ref got right.  

Anyone suggesting that was a dismissal through petulance or sulkiness clearly has a preconceived agenda they are looking to sustain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, repman said:

In terms of the second yellow, Emi's naivety is not that he goes in for a challenge with his foot in the air, its that he doesn't know the Stoke player is there and assumes he can pluck the ball out of the air with no pressure. If you watch it back, the ball goes up and over his head, he follows it all the way and by the time it is by his foot he has turned 90 degrees and there is suddenly a Stoke player putting his head in there. Ultimately, Emi is a player who in those moments plays on instinct and removing that would be far worse.

This is what gets my goat about the modern game.

it's high foot - dangerous play, an indirect freekick. But, there was absolutely no intent to harm an opponent, if the Ref had been watching closely he would have seen Emi's eyes following the ball all the while - he was completely unaware of the Stoke player being there. This is never a yellow card in my eyes

59 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

He'd played the advantage as the ball broke to Stiepermann, who then passed it on to Buendia who scored, and gone back to caution Baath afterwards. Good piece of refereeing.

51 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Seriously? If you can't recognise that Maddison is a better football player than Buendia then you really should stop watching football!

Maddison kept us up almost single handedly, is an England international and plays as one of the better players in a very well established Leicester team; his market value has probably doubled from the £20m odd we got for him. Buendia attracted no bids.

Buendia played in a much better team and didn't at all "get us promoted" If anyone did that, it was Pukki, but overall it was a much better team than the one Maddison played in. He also got sent off and missed 3 potentially crucial games - when, incidentally, people like you almost killed Cantwell with abuse because he wasn't Buendia.

Emi is a good player - but not in any way, shape or form remotely close to Maddison's standard.

You must live in cloud cuckoo land. The team that Buendia got promoted was virtually incapable of winning without him. 

And by the way I didn't almost kill Todd Cantwell. What an extraordinary thing to say! 

25 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You must live in cloud cuckoo land. The team that Buendia got promoted was virtually incapable of winning without him. 

And by the way I didn't almost kill Todd Cantwell. What an extraordinary thing to say! 

Like when Buendia went off with us 3-0 down at home to Forest and we came back to draw 3-3 without him?

The idea that Buendia (on his own) got us promoted 2 seasons back is delusional. It was a fantastic TEAM effort. 

2 hours ago, First Wazzock said:

This is what gets my goat about the modern game.

it's high foot - dangerous play, an indirect freekick. But, there was absolutely no intent to harm an opponent, if the Ref had been watching closely he would have seen Emi's eyes following the ball all the while - he was completely unaware of the Stoke player being there. This is never a yellow card in my eyes

No intent but clearly reckless play.

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Like when Buendia went off with us 3-0 down at home to Forest and we came back to draw 3-3 without him?

The idea that Buendia (on his own) got us promoted 2 seasons back is delusional. It was a fantastic TEAM effort. 

We finished that season on 94 points from 46 games. In the 8 games that Emi didn't play we got 8 points. Please don't try to tell me that's a coincidence 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, king canary said:

I'll take a red card every couple of seasons in exchange for what he brings on the pitch to be honest.

Hasn't he had two red cards in around 15 league games tho?

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

IMO it's no coincidence we have started fashioning more chances, with Pukki in particular banging in more goals, since Buendia has been able to focus and hit better form.

He is so important to us - quoting the odd result where he hasn't played so well doesn't really invalidate just how good he is.

• Like 1

First yellow was perhaps harsh, 2nd wasn't. Hi foot and dangerous play is a yellow all day long. If he had connected with someone's head, deliberate or not, it could have been nasty.

It wasn't malicious, but then dangerous tackles don't have to be malicious either. Most aren't.

So in a way the red is harsh, but if you are on a yellow already, don't go sticking your foot where your head should be.

4 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Yep again you are doing Buendia a disservice here IMO. 

You may favour Maddison, that's fine - I just think its a much tough call between the two. The stats show both players were /are head and shoulders the most creative players we had in the team. A case can be made for both players. 

Regardless of who we'd favour, I just don't think Maddison is out of Buendia's league like you appear to be suggesting here? Both players are exceptional IMO, Buendia would also excel in a team such as Leicester's. 

3 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It was definitely a great team effort, but we certainly struggled in the matches where Buendia wasn't playing overall. I don't think citing one game changes that too much. 

We certainly would've struggled just as much if we'd have lost Pukki up top too! I also recall us having to play West Brom away without Steipermann and fans were worried how we would cope without him. 

So yeah, a team effort and plenty of players contributed, but that does not mean we weren't without standout performers. Pukki of course the most - but Buendia would surely have to be a close second. 

I think this season so far Buendia has been at the heart of nearly everything great we've done - and he's not even been firing on all cylinders in half the games! 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

We finished that season on 94 points from 46 games. In the 8 games that Emi didn't play we got 8 points. Please don't try to tell me that's a coincidence 

Emi is a fantastic player and we're a better team with him in it. I was taking issue with your ridiculous assertion that he single handedly got us promoted. I notice that you've chosen to talk about something else rather than revisit your ludicrous claim. Very wise of you. 

1 hour ago, Ian said:

IMO it's no coincidence we have started fashioning more chances, with Pukki in particular banging in more goals, since Buendia has been able to focus and hit better form.

He is so important to us - quoting the odd result where he hasn't played so well doesn't really invalidate just how good he is.

I'm not trying to invalidate how good he is - like everybody else I can see that with my own eyes. I was just taking issue with Dylan's ludicrous statement that Emi single handedly got us promoted. 

5 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Are you quite well?

Yep again you are doing Buendia a disservice here IMO. 

You may favour Maddison, that's fine - I just think its a much tough call between the two. The stats show both players were /are head and shoulders the most creative players we had in the team. A case can be made for both players. 

Regardless of who we'd favour, I just don't think Maddison is out of Buendia's league like you appear to be suggesting here? Both players are exceptional IMO, Buendia would also excel in a team such as Leicester's. 

I guess we'll never know though as NO ONE put in a bid for Buendia. Funny that. Buendia is a very fine footballer but seriously, at the moment, he is not remotely close to Maddison. He wasn't last season either and yes, he is quite definitely operating in a different league to Buendia - I don't think that can be disputed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

I guess we'll never know though as NO ONE put in a bid for Buendia. Funny that. Buendia is a very fine footballer but seriously, at the moment, he is not remotely close to Maddison. He wasn't last season either and yes, he is quite definitely operating in a different league to Buendia - I don't think that can be disputed.

I don't think one transfer window during a global pandemic is that decisive on the topic to be honest. 

Perhaps it was his temperament that put him off the big clubs, but more fool them IMO. When you look at his stats for key passes this season in the champs - its very obvious he should not be playing in this league. He is a statistical outlier amongst the other players already - not to mention he's missed about a quarter of our games! 

Hell even his stats for key passes were still up there with the best creative midfielders in the prem last season! 

Maddison is clearly the better goalscorer (I'd agree in a different league in this regard) - but when it comes to creating for other team members Buendia edges it for me (this is pretty natural as he doesn't look to shoot anywhere near as much as Maddison).

If we swapped out Maddison for Buendia in this side and replayed the season what do you think we'd see from him? I think he'd have bagged a few more goals, certainly - but I also think the creativity for other players would fall a notch or two short of Buendia. 

Either way, do you really think we'd see stats which show Maddison as 'not remotely close to Buendia' / 'not in the same league'. That to me feels a bit OTT!

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler