unique

Buendia’s sending off...

..was harsh in the extreme.

Having watched the extended closely, there is no way in the world that he should have been given the first yellow card. He was not committing a foul, his momentum took him forward and, if anything, was caught by the boot of the opposition player.

His boot was high for the second yellow card, but he didn’t look as though he was intending any harm with the challenge. Given his height, he was hardly able to challenge with his head, co did what came natural.

Had Norwich not won the game, EMI would have been pilloried from some quarters, and unfairly so.

Later in the game, Chris Powell’s hand went towards Aarons head after a 50/50 challenge, and he proceeded to put his arm around Aarons’ neck, right in front of the referee. No card, no admonishment. An act far worthy of a yellow card than Buendia’s.

With the amount of stick he receives in every game, it would be of little surprise if Buendia was booked more often.

Last night, he barely deserved one yellow card, let alone two.

I hope he comes back after Saturday ever more determined and fired up. Up there with Hoolahan and Madisson.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, unique said:

Having watched the extended closely, there is no way in the world that he should have been given the first yellow card. He was not committing a foul, his momentum took him forward and, if anything, was caught by the boot of the opposition player.

His boot was high for the second yellow card, but he didn’t look as though he was intending any harm with the challenge. Given his height, he was hardly able to challenge with his head, co did what came natural.

Had Norwich not won the game, EMI would have been pilloried from some quarters, and unfairly so.

Later in the game, Chris Powell’s hand went towards Aarons head after a 50/50 challenge, and he proceeded to put his arm around Aarons’ neck, right in front of the referee. No card, no admonishment. An act far worthy of a yellow card than Buendia’s.

With the amount of stick he receives in every game, it would be of little surprise if Buendia was booked more often.

I hope he comes back after Saturday ever more determined and fired up. Up there with Hoolahan and Madisson.

Agree 100%. Thought exactly the same. Very harsh. 

Here Here. Very harsh cards. We must make the most of him, whilst we have him. Hoolahan, Maddison. As I'm a little older. Please can i add Ian Crook. A creative player who would get moaned at when losing the ball. but could open a defence.

Also strange nobody mentions the late tackle on Pukki during the build up to the first goal (0.42 on the highlights). Late & straight through him. Could easily have been a red.

• Like 2

I agree and as I’ve put on the other thread, the first challenge was a for a 50/50 ball, which he actually came worse off. Never a booking. 

Im guessing we won’t appeal though as it’s only one match and we then run the risk of losing him for more matches.

34 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Also strange nobody mentions the late tackle on Pukki during the build up to the first goal (0.42 on the highlights). Late & straight through him. Could easily have been a red.

I thought exactly the same. Nothing wrong with letting play continue but no reason why the ref couldn't give a card later.

15 minutes ago, Clint said:

I agree and as I’ve put on the other thread, the first challenge was a for a 50/50 ball, which he actually came worse off. Never a booking. 

Im guessing we won’t appeal though as it’s only one match and we then run the risk of losing him for more matches.

You can’t appeal a yellow card.

I disagree that the second yellow was not deserved, I wont comment to the first as I missed it. His high kick, intentional or not, was reckless which is reason for calling a foul. It was not the fact that he did not actually make contact with the Stoke player but that he did so with disregard for the safety of the Stoke player. This type of conduct should be cautioned, hence the yellow.

As for Powell, what a disgrace. That dive outside of our penalty box pretending he got kneed in the face was complete ****. Shameful.

• Thanks 1

Poor decisions. The first card was definitely not justified for the reasons others have said. There was no malicious intent in the second booking, he was just attempting to make contact with a high ball being unaware who might be in the way.

• Like 1

Mikel made about four fouls in the first half and wasn’t booked, one in particular on Skipp when we had a clear break with about 4 on 4 was a blatant yellow. About 5 mins later Stiepermann was booked for a similar level foul. 

It was incredibly soft but we're dealing with completely incapable referees at a level bordering on pure negligence. Decisions will not be vaguely consistent in most games. They don't even have fan pressure at the moment, which was one of the excuses they've hid behind previously.

2 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Their guy (Batth) got booked for it I believe

Edited by Crabbycanary3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the context of the game, Emi lost his head. Both "challenges" were reckless and both made the ref make a call, which he did. I thought the guy who fouled Pukki was yellow carded?

• Like 1

I don't think you could expect a better standard of refereeing at this level. He gave us a reasonable amount of protection while getting a few things wrong but crucially allowed the advantage from which we scored and gave a very generous decision to disallow the Stoke goal when McGoven seemed to misjudge the flight of the ball.

2 hours ago, unique said:

Emi makes Maddison look like Oliver Skipp

1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Their guy (Batth) got booked for it I believe

Thanks. Must have missed that while I was hollering & jumping up & down!

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

I don't think you could expect a better standard of refereeing at this level. He gave us a reasonable amount of protection while getting a few things wrong but crucially allowed the advantage from which we scored and gave a very generous decision to disallow the Stoke goal when McGoven seemed to misjudge the flight of the ball.

I don't think the level should make any difference to getting a decision wrong or right.

First yellow looked harsh but to be fair, there weren't too many complaints at the time.

I don't know why people are defending Emi to the point of blaming the referee. Ok, the first booking was soft, but the second one was obvious and inevitable once he put his foot up as high as he did. He ought to have known better and that at 3-0 up and already having been booked - there was no need to do anything daft. We obviously want him to be fired up and playing at his utmost but things like sticking your foot up like he did was asking for trouble.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I don't know why people are defending Emi to the point of blaming the referee. Ok, the first booking was soft, but the second one was obvious and inevitable once he put his foot up as high as he did. He ought to have known better and that at 3-0 up and already having been booked - there was no need to do anything daft. We obviously want him to be fired up and playing at his utmost but things like sticking your foot up like he did was asking for trouble.

No one is really defending emi? Just discussing the decision itself. Which was soft.

I thought Emi was brilliant last night, best player on the pitch by miles. Whilst he was unlucky with his sending off, atleast it was not petulant rather a little genuinely naive. He also reacted straight away that he knew what he had done and was gutted, there are clear signs he is maturing.

I am hoping that every cloud has a silver lining and that we find a way to win on Saturday and he can put his feet up for a game. Also @lake district canary this must be an opportunity for Vrancic to come in and be our playmaker against Coventry, can’t quite picture the side yet and praying for Pukki to be fit but we will need someone to control the game for us.

Perhaps a 3-4-2-1 with Placheta and Aaron’s as wingbacks, Sorensen and Skipp holding, Martin and Vrancic behind Pukki (or stiepi). Save Tettey for Luton away. 

Edited by Big O
Typo
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Big O said:

I thought Emi was brilliant last night, best player on the pitch by miles. Whilst he was unlucky with his sending off, atleast it was not petulant rather a little genuinely naive. He also reacted straight away that he knew what he had done and was gutted, there are clear signs he is maturing.

I am hoping that every cloud has a silver lining and that we find a way to win on Saturday and he can put his feet up for a game. Also @lake district canary this must be an opportunity for Vrancic to come in and be our playmaker against Coventry, can’t quite picture the side yet and praying for Pukki to be fit but we will need someone to control the game for us.

Perhaps a 3-4-2-1 with Placheta and Aaron’s as wingbacks, Sorensen and Skipp holding, Martin and Vrancic behind Pukki (or stiepi). Save Tettey for Luton away. 

He is the best player in the Championship

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

It was Eltringham, it was bound to end in at least one **** decision.

He did make one positive decision in our favour - disallowing a possible third Stoke goal when McGovern was/wasn't fouled.

In terms of the second yellow, Emi's naivety is not that he goes in for a challenge with his foot in the air, its that he doesn't know the Stoke player is there and assumes he can pluck the ball out of the air with no pressure. If you watch it back, the ball goes up and over his head, he follows it all the way and by the time it is by his foot he has turned 90 degrees and there is suddenly a Stoke player putting his head in there. Ultimately, Emi is a player who in those moments plays on instinct and removing that would be far worse.

• Like 1

I had a quick look on the Stoke forum and they seem to think they were robbed by the referee so never a good sign when both sets of fans are complaining about the ref!

Agree Emi's first yellow was a joke and the second harsh although it's his responsibility to avoid anything rash when on a yellow.

Very interesting comments on here, people must realise that Emi plays on the edge, regaining possession many times when attempting the sort of tackle for the first yellow. He also plays on the edge with the referee, always in his ear complaining that he gets fouled almost every time he is tackled. The same with his team mates, last week we saw him and Aaron's arguing then Max praises him in the press. This is EMI, make the most of him, he is young, he is learning, it is easy to sit in an armchair and complain in the cold light of day at his mistakes during the heated, rough and tumble of professional football. Finally I think a decent ref would have seen the second offence was not a yellow as he was following the ball not the guy!

I don't get all the surprise on here.

There was something of the inevitable about it. Perhaps both the decisions were harsh, but the commentator had previously stated that there "was a lot going on."

We should all know of Emi's combatitive ways by now. Of  his temperament and the fact that he always seems to exist on a short fuse in any match and that every foul, every decision against him always seems to cause him surprise to the point that he often appears to view himself as a victim. His involvement is total but it's aligned to a fairly short fuse.

It doesn't help that he is usually targetted by the bruisers he comes up against and who will be fully aware of just how easy it can be to induce him into being re-carded.

He'll learn but, as it's part of the package, something might diminish from his brilliance should he become too tamed. I believe Farke accepts this. 

The first thing I looked at on the replay was the referees use of his cards. Thank goodness he pulled a second yellow out before the red. Apparently a.n.other had received a straight red for a similar infringement over the week-end.

Edited by BroadstairsR

19 hours ago, unique said:

He receives stick because players know they can wind him up and get a reaction. Unfortunately his sulky demeanour of sitting on the pitch and delaying getting up also wound up the referee and no doubt contributed to the ref deciding to get him off the pitch.

I cannot think of another 'professional' player that acts in such a childish way.  He should get up as Grealish and Maddison do after a foul and get on with the game rather than questioning so many decisions.  

14 hours ago, hogesar said:

No one is really defending emi? Just discussing the decision itself. Which was soft.

No it was not soft as it was dangerous play,  and if he had made contact it could have been a straight red but for the previous yellow.

Edited by paul moy
  • Like 1