Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Lee Camp, free agent.

49 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I know that's what some stats say but I don't believe it, not least because in pix of them together Krul is comfortably taller. These figures are not to be relied upon. Soccerway actually has McGovern as 3cms taller than Krul, which is plainly nonsense. But as said before it is not just height but presence, part of which is physical but part also psychological. Krul is a more dominating presence.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, seanthecanary said:

Signing Lee Camp is a dream?  The guy has been released by his last 7 clubs including us.  We didn't even want him as 3rd choice 7 years ago.

Tim Krul released by Newcastle, and then released by Brighton without playing a game? 

John Ruddy released by us. 

Means nothing. 

I'm just suggesting we add a 3rd experienced keeper to protect against one of our other two getting injured. He may or may not be better than McGovern, I think he will be a little better though.

When all keepers are fit the 3rd choice keeper (which would be McGovern or Camp) has the role of getting battered in training in crossing / corner training, to protect your first choice keeper. When we signed Camp last time we even said that this was a large part of his role. 

With the crazy fixture congestion this season and with Aston Oxborough being out long term (the only youngster who is close to being ready), it would just make sense to me to bring in another keeper for depth. 

Andy Lonergan may be another low cost option. 

Yes Camp was released by us. He was third choice keeper. I'm simply suggesting we should still have a third choice keeper, it would probably be McGovern if Oxborough didn't get seriously injured. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

MM just shy of 6’3”

TK just shy of 6’4”

Although this proves he is not technically short, I don't think it shows that he is anywhere near as good at Krul at commanding his box or taking crosses does it? 

Actually it just highlights how inferior he is at keeping - the fact he gives the impression of a keeper who is about a foot shorter than Krul even though he isn't!

Although it was a foul, there is no way that Krul would've been brushed aside so feebly for that disallowed goal on Tuesday night IMO. 

17 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

You don't sign a new player for a six week injury.

Why not? We could pay Lee Camp handsomely to sign on a two month contract, he'd then be free to fill in for some other clubs injury crisis in the second half of the season.

He's fit and ready, and not earning money, it makes sense. If Farke likes having him around and realises that he is actually a bit better than McGovern, then we can offer him an extension until the end of the season.

Don't now what would be weird about this at all, would be like a paid trial. 

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Tim Krul released by Newcastle, and then released by Brighton without playing a game? 

John Ruddy released by us. 

Means nothing. 

I'm just suggesting we add a 3rd experienced keeper to protect against one of our other two getting injured. He may or may not be better than McGovern, I think he will be a little better though.

When all keepers are fit the 3rd choice keeper (which would be McGovern or Camp) has the role of getting battered in training in crossing / corner training, to protect your first choice keeper. When we signed Camp last time we even said that this was a large part of his role. 

With the crazy fixture congestion this season and with Aston Oxborough being out long term (the only youngster who is close to being ready), it would just make sense to me to bring in another keeper for depth. 

Andy Lonergan may be another low cost option. 

Yes Camp was released by us. He was third choice keeper. I'm simply suggesting we should still have a third choice keeper, it would probably be McGovern if Oxborough didn't get seriously injured. 

Ruddy was released because we couldn't afford his wages. I don't think that's the reason Camp was released 7 times in a row. Barden wasn't sent out on loan as he was last season so the club must feel he's an option should he be needed. I'd much rather see him given a shot that making a desperation signing like Camp. No one has touched him since he left Birmingham and he's been available for nothing yet he's still unemployed.  There must be a reason for that. 

56 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

I don't think that's the reason Camp was released 7 times in a row. 

Well thought I'd look into that starting 7 clubs ago, and he left Nottingham Forest after turning down a contract extension, so your claim seems to fall at the first hurdle. 

Not really sure where you are coming from here really, as McGovern was released by Dundee, then released by Ross County, and then released by Falkirk, then left Hamilton on a free transfer. He has never joined a club for a fee.

No idea if any of those involved him turning down a new contract, but you seem to still count this as "released", so lets run with that....

.... We're comparing a goalkeeper who has been released by Ross County and Falkirk, with a goalkeeper who has been released by West Brom, Norwich, Nottingham Forest, and Cardiff? Seriously?

You can't argue with 500+ games in the Championship. Won POTS at two Championship clubs. 

Where is your argument really going here? Are you seriously arguing that we shouldn't sign Lee Camp because his CV is weaker than Michael McGovern's? Really? I doubt McGovern had ever been paid more than £1000 a week before he joined us.

Is the quality of Michael McGoverns CV really the hill you are going to die on? Next you are going to pretend you'd heard of him before he played in the Euro's with Northern Ireland in 2016.

Michael McGovern

aa.JPG.4df53ebe083425457abf5bf3ce587ce5.JPG

Lee Camp

bbb.JPG.63e2c9c7ce7e489a8b9344fe59659f44.JPG

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

A dream in the sense that we never do business like that. I would rather we went with Barden over Lee Camp!!!

3 hours ago, seanthecanary said:

Same. I know he let in 3 against Luton but I don't remember him being at fault for any of them and played well enough 

You'd seriously go with a 19 year old kid who was playing in the Isthmain league last season and was clearly nowhere near ready when we played against Luton in the cup over a goalkeeper who played a full season in the Championship last season and has been keeping fit at Sheffield Wednesday? 

F&*k me.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You'd seriously go with a 19 year old kid who was playing in the Isthmain league last season and was clearly nowhere near ready when we played against Luton in the cup over a goalkeeper who played a full season in the Championship last season and has been keeping fit at Sheffield Wednesday? 

F&*k me.

I don't remember him being at fault for any of the goals against Luton. And yes, I'd rather see a youngster of unknown quality given a go rather than pointlessly sign a player who I know isn't good enough. Camp is an average Championship goalkeeper at best which is why he has had a journeyman career. He has had 7 clubs in as many seasons which shows that every club he has been at in that time don't think he's good enough. For some reason though you seem to believe he's the answer to a problem that no one at the club thinks exists. Farke has indicated that he is happy with McGovern in the short term and as far as I'm aware, we don't even know how long Krul is out for. 

Edited by seanthecanary

4 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I know that's what some stats say but I don't believe it, not least because in pix of them together Krul is comfortably taller. These figures are not to be relied upon. Soccerway actually has McGovern as 3cms taller than Krul, which is plainly nonsense. But as said before it is not just height but presence, part of which is physical but part also psychological. Krul is a more dominating presence.

What can I say...?! Michael likes platforms

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well thought I'd look into that starting 7 clubs ago, and he left Nottingham Forest after turning down a contract extension, so your claim seems to fall at the first hurdle. 

Not really sure where you are coming from here really, as McGovern was released by Dundee, then released by Ross County, and then released by Falkirk, then left Hamilton on a free transfer. He has never joined a club for a fee.

No idea if any of those involved him turning down a new contract, but you seem to still count this as "released", so lets run with that....

.... We're comparing a goalkeeper who has been released by Ross County and Falkirk, with a goalkeeper who has been released by West Brom, Norwich, Nottingham Forest, and Cardiff? Seriously?

You can't argue with 500+ games in the Championship. Won POTS at two Championship clubs. 

Where is your argument really going here? Are you seriously arguing that we shouldn't sign Lee Camp because his CV is weaker than Michael McGovern's? Really? I doubt McGovern had ever been paid more than £1000 a week before he joined us.

Is the quality of Michael McGoverns CV really the hill you are going to die on? Next you are going to pretend you'd heard of him before he played in the Euro's with Northern Ireland in 2016.

Michael McGovern

aa.JPG.4df53ebe083425457abf5bf3ce587ce5.JPG

Lee Camp

bbb.JPG.63e2c9c7ce7e489a8b9344fe59659f44.JPG

I never said McGovern was a better goalkeeper than Camp or that he has a more impressive CV. I just don't see the point in signing Camp as I don't think he's enough of an improvement. If you want though I can retroactively edit what I did say to validate your rant. 

This whole debate has arisen because people don't think McGovern is good enough for a side chasing promotion. My argument is that Camp isn't either. 

Edited by seanthecanary

On 26/11/2020 at 11:53, TeemuVanBasten said:

Why not? We could pay Lee Camp handsomely to sign on a two month contract, he'd then be free to fill in for some other clubs injury crisis in the second half of the season.

Oh look, Coventry sign him on a two month contract.

28 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Oh look, Krul out for 3 weeks. Should we have signed Camp on a three week contract? 🙂 

39 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Wow, a whole 2 months? Such faith indeed!

22 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Wow, a whole 2 months? Such faith indeed!

He's better than McGovern, quite simply.

McGovern is practically National League standard, terrible.

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He's better than McGovern, quite simply.

McGovern is practically National League standard, terrible.

Really?

The sensational Lee Camp has not played for Northern Ireland since 2012.

The National League McGovern on the other hand...

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Really?

The sensational Lee Camp has not played for Northern Ireland since 2012.

The National League McGovern on the other hand...

Nigel Worthington have Lee Camp 8 caps, he gave Michael McGovern 1 cap.

Until Michael O'Neill succeeds in winning the Championship.... I'll trust Worthy's judgement, cracking manager he was.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Nigel Worthington have Lee Camp 8 caps, he gave Michael McGovern 1 cap.

Until Michael O'Neill succeeds in winning the Championship.... I'll trust Worthy's judgement, cracking manager he was.

Well of course you would because otherwise it’s pretty damn embarrassing that this goalkeeping great has had far more minutes of first team games than Michael McGovern over recent years yet still can’t replace him!

The facts speak for themselves. And a massive 2 month contract at a relegation favourite really does nothing to enhance your argument I’m afraid, Teemu. He’s crap.

I suspect we'll see tomorrow who the better keeper is. Of the two, I'd still go with McGovern.

The proof is all in the pudding tomorrow then! McGovern v Camp....the big fight! Bring it on.

• Haha 1

On 26/11/2020 at 11:51, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Although this proves he is not technically short, I don't think it shows that he is anywhere near as good at Krul at commanding his box or taking crosses does it? 

Actually it just highlights how inferior he is at keeping - the fact he gives the impression of a keeper who is about a foot shorter than Krul even though he isn't!

Although it was a foul, there is no way that Krul would've been brushed aside so feebly for that disallowed goal on Tuesday night IMO. 

“Not technically short” 😂

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

“Not technically short” 😂

Although isolating those 3 words does sound pretty idiotic I do think the point I made afterwards stands:

Simply it doesn’t matter how tall or short he is, the fact remains that he is not at all comfortable coming to claim crosses! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Could be an entertaining game!!

Never considered a goalie watch before....will add a new dimension. Number of goals conceded? Confidence in dealing with crosses? Quality of distribution? Kicking ability? Shot stopping? Lots to go at......Then for extras, perhaps marks for style? 

Might make a boring 0-0 kind of game more interesting (if Stiepi IS up top, will he ever be able to get the ball under control in the first place, and if so,  will he be able to get his scuffed shot away? 😉)

Edit: For lovers of Marco, this is half tongue-in-cheek...hope he gets a hat trick)

Edited by sonyc

52 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Never considered a goalie watch before....will add a new dimension. Number of goals conceded? Confidence in dealing with crosses? Quality of distribution? Kicking ability? Shot stopping? Lots to go at......Then for extras, perhaps marks for style? 

Might make a boring 0-0 kind of game more interesting (if Stiepi IS up top, will he ever be able to get the ball under control in the first place, and if so,  will he be able to get his scuffed shot away? 😉)

Edit: For lovers of Marco, this is half tongue-in-cheek...hope he gets a hat trick)

• Like 1

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Relax everyone, all will be clearer which keeper is better by tomorrow tea time. 

That doesn't make me relaxed, that makes me anxious.