Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Lee Camp, free agent.

Lee Camp played 36 games last season for Birmingham, has been keeping fit with Sheffield Wednesday until they decided not to offer him a contract in October. Did a job for us in an emergency before, surely he has to come in? Deal until end of the season, basic salary but big bonus for actual appearances on pitch? 

We can sign him tomorrow and stick him in our next squad as hes unattached. 

Camp has played an incredible 533 Championship games in his career! Bound to be able to impart a bit of advice to the kids whilst here as well?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

I very much doubt we will, but could probably do a lot worse than look for cover if Krul is going to be out long term.  

Same goes for bringing Drmic back into the fold - we are presumably still paying his wages and the circumstances that were around in the summer when we decided he wasn’t needed are not relevant now that we have one fit striker with any experience - who appears himself to possibly be injured.  Drmic surely has something to prove to himself, us supporters, those who signed him, and also potential suitors.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Other ideas...

Michael Vorm retired in the summer, but great friends with Tim Krul so if he hasn't rapidly put on 3 stone then might be able to do a job for a year?

Andy Lonergan who Klopp signed as emergency backup was released in the summer by Liverpool, still on the dole queue. 

I still think Lee Camp really, 32 games in this league just last season and has definitely been training with a Championship side just last month! Wages won't be stupid at his age. Complete no brainer! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

9 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I still think Lee Camp really, 32 games in this league just last season and has definitely been training with a Championship side just last month! Wages won't be stupid at his age. Complete no brainer! 

Hard to disagree with that!

I'd rather Camp in goal than McGovern, to be fair. Both have seen better days, but Camp's career has been at a higher level than McGovern and he was playing regular football more recently.

But is he that much better than McGovern to warrant the expense of signing him and giving a huge slap in the face to McGovern like this? What would the other players think of Farke if he did this to a loyal servant?

Could be more hassle than it's worth, unless Krul's injury is serious, and even then we could wait until January and sign someone better than both Camp and McGovern, which we'd be forced to do if Krul's injury is months and not weeks.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Orjan Nyland was released by Villa last month, he's still without a club. Big and imposing, could be worth a look.

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Orjan Nyland was released by Villa last month, he's still without a club. Big and imposing, could be worth a look.

He's never looked great to me. Looks worse than Jesus Christ on crosses.

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

He's never looked great to me. Looks worse than Jesus Christ on crosses.

We're not going to find 'great' on a free transfer. He'd do.

How about Niki Mäenpää (https://www.transfermarkt.com/niki-maenpaa/leistungsdaten/spieler/12359).?35 years old, without a club.

Played some amount for Bristol City last season. 
There are strong rumors going on that he is just about to sign contract with Stoke thought, but sure Pukki could lure his former international team mater to change his mind and jump to Canaries instead.

I think he is actually appreciated by fans of his earlier clubs as decent gk, but his main issue is that he is injury prone and therefore bad option as number one. Could be perfect option as cover for Krul though.

edit: might be too late though as Bristol Post has reported yesterday that Stoke deal is done already and official announcement will be made in near future.

Edited by hepphep

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Remember that Nyland's contract was terminated with over a year to run. If you think McGovern's got a schnitzer in him, Nyland doubles it (he was the Villa keeper with that infamous kerfuffle against Sheffield United when VAR didn't work).

McGovern's problems start with the ball at his feet.

There’s also this lad out there called Daniel Barden, he’s definitely free and available... we could take a punt on him!   

No experience, but young and enthusiastic with potential and those qualities never harmed Aaron’s, Lewis, Godfrey, Cantwell or Idah!   

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Well that's fundamental due to the way we play, and win. Plus we don't have a striker who can win the ball when launched up to him and that's all McGovern can do.

This mustn't become an issue as to whether Farke is right or wrong, it's if it stops us getting promotion.

8 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Remember that Nyland's contract was terminated with over a year to run. If you think McGovern's got a schnitzer in him, Nyland doubles it (he was the Villa keeper with that infamous kerfuffle against Sheffield United when VAR didn't work).

No, they don't unfortunately. There are other problems with McGovern, which is why some posters argued in the summer for a new back-up keeper. Opposition teams are going to rain crosses in because of his lack of height and lack of physical presence. And he may well now not even be the shot-stopper he used to be. I think there is a difference between a keeper who might have one glaring mistake in him per game and one with a fundamental weakness that will be preyed upon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

I actually started writing a post suggesting Nyland, but before posting had a quick Google of him, and it turns out that he had back surgery earlier this month and won't be back in football until the new year.

I'm guessing that was part of the reason why Villa and Nyland agreed on a mutual termination because apparently he's been struggling with his back for a while.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Tim Krul is pretty great

• Like 2

Farke has stuck with McGovern for a few years now so he's not gonna change that now and bring in another keeper over him. I'm not a big fan but we have to accept that he will be playing a few games in the coming weeks. Hopefully he will do well, let's try supporting the guy instead of writing him off. 

• Like 1

Sorry to say it, and bit get behind him, but McGovern, whatever way you try to cut it, is not good enough for a promotion chasing championship side.

He will cost us points. 

Sad but true

January is only 5 weeks away, so I don't want us panic signing a past it freebie like Camp. 

If Krul is out long term then we need to start the process of getting a good replacement in on January 1st. Until then I'd go with Barden, looked decent v Luton, maybe harsh on McGovern but he should never have been signed in the first place, has never been good enough for this level. 

1 hour ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

January is only 5 weeks away, so I don't want us panic signing a past it freebie like Camp. 

If Krul is out long term then we need to start the process of getting a good replacement in on January 1st. Until then I'd go with Barden, looked decent v Luton, maybe harsh on McGovern but he should never have been signed in the first place, has never been good enough for this level. 

5 weeks but 9 games! If Krul is going to be out for more than 4 of them then we should draft someone else in - or try Barden (I know this is a risk in itself).

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

No, they don't unfortunately. There are other problems with McGovern, which is why some posters argued in the summer for a new back-up keeper. Opposition teams are going to rain crosses in because of his lack of height and lack of physical presence. And he may well now not even be the shot-stopper he used to be. I think there is a difference between a keeper who might have one glaring mistake in him per game and one with a fundamental weakness that will be preyed upon.

Are you sure on the bit in bold? Is McGovern really much shorter than Krul if at all?

11 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Meanwhile - back on Planet Earth.

Lee Camp catastrophe.PNG

Fair enough - but still good enough to play 30 odd games in the champs last season though. And I'd wager more comfortable with the ball at his feet!

Without wanting to sound plain nasty, I'm sure we would find plenty more publications of a similar nature if a team had to rely on McGovern for that amount of time. Unfortunately he has never been good enough to play for any such number of games in the championship.

I think it is interesting to consider the thought of how we would take it if McGovern was going to be Bournemouth number 1 (or another promotion rival) for the next several games. How would we fancy our changes if we were coming up against them knowing he'd be in goal? We'd be licking our lips at the prospect IMO!

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Are you sure on the bit in bold? Is McGovern really much shorter than Krul if at all?

But regardless of his actual height, I think the crux of the issue is that McGovern is far less superior at coming for crosses and commanding his area. The fact that he isn't actually shorter than Krul (or only slightly) tells us more about his goalkeeping ability / mentality to be honest!

The problem with saying it is only 5 weeks away is that it might not be long in terms of time but we are still playing 8-9 games (ie a fifth of a season) before 1 Jan

Michael McGovern isn't good enough to be our Number 2 goalkeeper - brought to you by the same bunch of whingers who confidently told us the sky would fall in because Sorenson was having to play at left back!!

9 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Michael McGovern isn't good enough to be our Number 2 goalkeeper - brought to you by the same bunch of whingers who confidently told us the sky would fall in because Sorenson was having to play at left back!!

Not just that, I do wonder what kind of quality people expect from a 2nd choice keeper.  My mate is a Liverpool fan and he is totally of the opinion that Adrian is not good enough for a team that has won the PL and CL in the last 2 seasons.  Supporters of most clubs would not be confident that their backup keeper was good enough for a long stint in the team.  Being 2nd choice keeper is different from being 2nd choice anywhere else on the pitch, you know you are not going to be playing therefore good goalkeepers don't want to be 2nd choice.  It's not like Hugill who knows he will get on the pitch as sub at some point and will have a chance to impress.  Being 2nd choice keeper, you will play a few cup matches and warm the bench for the rest of the season, covering injury.

Edited by seanthecanary