Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Why did he not take Pukki and Emi off as soon as we went 3 up?

Too much looking ahead and not what we have achieved for my liking.

Yes, we all know Emi's temperament and I doubt the fact he is young will be the reason. Its his nature. And I'm sure the coaching staff were contemplating taking Emi and Teemu off. But when is the right time? I'm sure DF was trying to eke out as many minutes as possible.

But all this debate obscures the fact we got three points. 6 points in four days away from home against rivals. And didn't we all want to see us go on and score more in the second half? Its what we watch for. I canhear the outcry now if we had taken Emi off, put Zimbo on and gone three at the back.

We have Coventry at home this weekend and even a defeat will keep us in touch with the leaders because of what we have achieved this week alone.

So before we over egg the effect of Emi's sending off, the real concern is the injury crisis. Especially the lack of strikers. Emi will have a weekend off and come back even keener. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Too much looking ahead and not what we have achieved for my liking.

Yes, we all know Emi's temperament and I doubt the fact he is young will be the reason. Its his nature. And I'm sure the coaching staff were contemplating taking Emi and Teemu off. But when is the right time? I'm sure DF was trying to eke out as many minutes as possible.

But all this debate obscures the fact we got three points. 6 points in four days away from home against rivals. And didn't we all want to see us go on and score more in the second half? Its what we watch for. I canhear the outcry now if we had taken Emi off, put Zimbo on and gone three at the back.

We have Coventry at home this weekend and even a defeat will keep us in touch with the leaders because of what we have achieved this week alone.

So before we over egg the effect of Emi's sending off, the real concern is the injury crisis. Especially the lack of strikers. Emi will have a weekend off and come back even keener. 

Don't disagree, losing Emi for one game v Cov is not the end of the world. Yes we will miss him but its still a winnable game and he gets a bit of a rest. The injuries, particularly to Krul and the suggestion of Pukki having tightness in his hamstrings, are by far the bigger concern. That was really why i am suggesting uts surprising we didn't get him off as soon as we could because we know he's our only striker right now and how important he is. 

And yes its been a great weeks work which has bought us some breathing soace if we have a bit of a dip. Hopefully thoigh we can kick on an open up a bit of a gap to the pack. 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Yeah I guess Farke has no knowledge on Buendia as a player / character and therefore was completely unaware that he might pick up a second yellow.

Or, as head coach he weighed up the risk vs reward factor and still, despite the bleating on here, came out on top with all 3 points.

We were lucky not to lose that game in the end and how many times will we now have to play with ten men because Emi cannot control his emotions and act like a professional. Teams are now playing on his poor temperament in my opinion and I can see this scenario recurring often and it could cost us promotion if it is not nipped in the bud.   Now we are also without Emi  yet again unnecessarily.  Farke says that Emi did not see the player when he raised his foot so high, but surely commonsense says not to do that if you cannot see what is around you.

It could come to the point where Emi does not start games as we do not want to play with ten men and he has brought it on himself. 

8 minutes ago, paul moy said:

We were lucky not to lose that game in the end and how many times will we now have to play with ten men because Emi cannot control his emotions and act like a professional. Teams are now playing on his poor temperament in my opinion and I can see this scenario recurring often and it could cost us promotion if it is not nipped in the bud.   Now we are also without Emi  yet again unnecessarily.  Farke says that Emi did not see the player when he raised his foot so high, but surely commonsense says not to do that if you cannot see what is around you.

It could come to the point where Emi does not start games as we do not want to play with ten men and he has brought it on himself. 

It won't happen. He's the best player in the division and will play whenever he is available.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:
11 minutes ago, paul moy said:

It won't happen. He's the best player in the division and will play whenever he is available.

That's not strictly true though, is it? He has been available in the past and Farke has shown that he will not necessarily play him if he doesn't think his attitude is right for any reason.  A fully focussed Emi is a great player to have, but if he loses that focus he can be a liabilty - as his sendings off have shown - all avoidable and unnecessary - and the writing was on the wall as soon as he got that first booking.  I get that Farke needs to show faith in him, but Emi is not without his flaws and still has a lot to learn. 

• Like 1

Emi has had 3 red cards in 3 seasons. He's not exactly Vinnie Jones.

Without him we wouldn't have been 3-0 up in the first place. He is the best player in this division. Give him a break. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beefy is a legend said:

Emi has had 3 red cards in 3 seasons. He's not exactly Vinnie Jones.

Without him we wouldn't have been 3-0 up in the first place. He is the best player in this division. Give him a break. 

Indeed, but the last two have been within 10 or so matches and it would appear that the opposition are wising up to the fact that he is easily wound up.  I expect more sendings-off sadly but the benefit to us is that other teams will not want to sign a hothead.

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

That's not strictly true though, is it? He has been available in the past and Farke has shown that he will not necessarily play him if he doesn't think his attitude is right for any reason.  A fully focussed Emi is a great player to have, but if he loses that focus he can be a liabilty - as his sendings off have shown - all avoidable and unnecessary - and the writing was on the wall as soon as he got that first booking.  I get that Farke needs to show faith in him, but Emi is not without his flaws and still has a lot to learn. 

well, he left him out to make a point re concentration with transfer speculation which is an exceptional case but Buendia will play every game available and rightly so. He is the best player in the division and if he gets sent off a couple of times a season I'm fairly sure Farke is willing to take that for what be brings in the other 44 games.

21 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Indeed, but the last two have been within 10 or so matches and it would appear that the opposition are wising up to the fact that he is easily wound up.  I expect more sendings-off sadly but the benefit to us is that other teams will not want to sign a hothead.

He wasnt wound up, he was trying to  bring a high ball  under control.  No biggie, silly ,but as someone said earlier hes not vinnie  Jones  .........or julian ****.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

He wasnt wound up, he was trying to  bring a high ball  under control.  No biggie, silly ,but as someone said earlier hes not vinnie  Jones  .........or julian ****.

Exactly. It was a second yellow. And on any other day with a different ref would have been his first only.

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Spot on, Corkio - not sure the first was even a booking myself.

Wouldn’t like to underestimate Coventry but at the same time it may well end up to be a blessing in disguise that he gets a little rest with the way our injury problems are mounting. 

Jim you really are a numpty, that’s the beauty of the science of hindsight you can’t be wrong! Afraid old son the world is round and turns! **** happens , in your world of perfection it’s easy to criticise!! 

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

well, he left him out to make a point re concentration with transfer speculation which is an exceptional case but Buendia will play every game available and rightly so. He is the best player in the division and if he gets sent off a couple of times a season I'm fairly sure Farke is willing to take that for what be brings in the other 44 games.

No player can expect to play every game available, including Emi, Pukki or anyone else. Farke has left Emi out in the previous two seasons as well as this one, on more than one occasion and explained in press conferences why he has done it.  Imo there won't be too many repercussions this time, as the first booking was so soft, but he is a silly boy getting sent off like that - and it spoils his otherwise excellent performance.

Edited by lake district canary