So Emi banned, Krul and probably Stiepermann injured...

McGovern

Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Sorenson

Tettey, Skipp

Martin, Vrancic, Placheta

Pukki

Leaves a half fit Rupp and Zimmermann as our only remaining senior players for the bench!

1 minute ago, Tetteys Jig said:

McGovern

Tettey, Skipp

Pukki

Leaves a half fit Rupp and Zimmermann as our only remaining senior players for the bench!

Stiepi played on for a while after his head knock. He wouldn't have been able to play on at all if he were concussed, so I'd imagine he'll be fine to play on Saturday.

15 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

McGovern

Tettey, Skipp

Pukki

I would be worried about Pukki, hamstring a bit iffy, we definitely cant afford to risk him and lose him for 6 weeks. 

Let's give Dickson peters or Omotoye (I think he may be injured) a go! 

Have pukki bench if needed and he isn't 100 percent.

As impressive as Coventry are, they are newly promoted so I'd assume we have enough fire power to get over the line.

You never know, those young lads may grab with two hands and make a name for themselves. It's how it's done. Rashford wasn't even considered the brightest young star when he came into the Manchester United fold. 

We all know how that went, not just a flash in the pan ...

• Like 1

I'm sure Pukki will play if he's fit, so will Stiepermann. Given our issues that's still not a bad team. No excuses.

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

Vrancic looked completely lost last night

to be fair, most of that time we were on 10 men defending a lead with no attacker for him to look for, not his skillset really. 

• Like 3

Presuming we can get a fit 11 of experienced players the most interesting point may be who from the academy to be given the call.  If needed in an attacking role would like to see players with pace and size who are able to replace Pukki if unfit or if he needs replacing later on.

As its Coventry expected to park the bus who are unlikely to be much of a threat to our defence,  and with McCallum now at LB missing we can expect to reap rewards down the right so Max to fill his boots.

We adopted a siege mentality borne out of the fact that we were reduced in numbers and that the opposition smelled blood having scored soon after the sending off. The substitutions by both managers invited such for while we reduced our attacking intent Stoke ended up with five forwards and two attacking midfielders.

If we had to face such an onslaught from any side in this league then the giants of Stoke would be the last team we would want to be receiving it from. Thank goodness Fletcher was off injured.

It's hardly fair to be critical of any City player under those circumstances, neither Vrancic nor even McGovern, imo.

Praise should be the order of the day surely. Handley was a rock, Gibson was cool and Zimmerman was in his element and all the rest deserve mention, whilst our reserve 'keeper, although a bit shaky, made no major bloopers despite being put under constant pressure. 

They were put through the mill and emerged with three points after all.

The most important player we need for Coventry surely remains Pukki and it's good that Rupp could well return, whilst the impressive integration of Josh Martin is a major positive.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

We adopted a siege mentality borne out of the fact that we were reduced in numbers and that the opposition smelled blood having scored soon after the sending off. The substitutions by both managers invited such for while we reduced our attacking intent Stoke ended up with five forwards and two attacking midfielders.

If we had to face such an onslaught from any side in this league then the giants of Stoke would be the last team we would want to be receiving it from. Thank goodness Fletcher was off injured.

It's hardly fair to be critical of any City player under those circumstances, neither Vrancic nor even McGovern, imo.

Praise should be the order of the day surely. Handley was a rock, Gibson was cool and Zimmerman was in his element and all the rest deserve mention, whilst our reserve 'keeper, although a bit shaky, made no major bloopers despite being put under constant pressure. 

They were put through the mill and emerged with three points after all.

The most important player we need for Coventry surely remains Pukki and it's good that Rupp could well return, whilst the impressive integration of Josh Martin is a major positive.

LOL,thank God that Pulis wasn't still in charge and we weren't facing that human trebuchet Rory Delap bombarding us from each touchline 😨

I do think it might be worth playing with three at the back, if only because we have three fully fit and experienced centre backs, and they will expend less stamina over 90 minutes than pretty much any other position on the pitch. That would also give a more solid defensive platform for someone like Nizet to slot into. Even if Pukki is out, we could at least rotate the midfield a bit using this system.

-----------------------------McGovern-----------------------------

---------Hanley------Zimmermann-------Gibson--------

--Aarons-----Skipp----Rupp-----Vrancic------Nizet--

------------------Stiepermann-----------------------------------

----------------------------------Dickson-Peters---------------

That would give us a bench of something like: Barden, Sorensen, Tettey, Placheta, McAlear, Martin, Omotoye.

Sorensen or Tettey could slot into a back three if necessary, plus that'd give us the pace of Placheta/Martin off the bench.

Plenty of variation possible here; Lungi or Tettey could play CM if Rupp needs more rest, Placheta could play off TDP up front or even as a LWB instead of Nizet; or Martin could play 10 instead if Stiepi isn't fit. I'm not generally one for tinkering with the team or formation, but we have seven games in the next 22 days and we simply must try to stop players getting injured or burnt out.

If Pukki is even a slight risk Saturday I would rest him and only use him in an emergency, we simply can’t afford him being out for 6 weeks. I’m not dismissing Coventry but we have to find a way to win and that might be through just keeping the ball for long periods and tiring them out whilst taking little risk ourselves. 

Coventry will be up for our game given our injuries. There are no ‘easy’ games in this league and this is just the sort of game we could lose if our attitude and performance is not spot on. My main concern is where the goals are going to come from as I doubt Pukki will play. Creativity is another concern given Buendia is suspended. Any chance Cantwell can play in this one?

1 hour ago, Big O said:

If Pukki is even a slight risk Saturday I would rest him and only use him in an emergency, we simply can’t afford him being out for 6 weeks. I’m not dismissing Coventry but we have to find a way to win and that might be through just keeping the ball for long periods and tiring them out whilst taking little risk ourselves. 

Correct - as I said elsewhere. I would rest him for next ten days, maybe two weeks to get him refreshed and hopefully heal his hamstring. With this horrendous run of injuries I would happily settle for draws against Coventry and Luton (that game in particular will be difficult). We have some points in the bag after recent fantastic results so must not risk any player who is 'carrying an injury' especially something as potentially serious as a hamstring. There are highly rated youngsters on the fringes of the first team. They need to be used now. Remember when The Starman came in? Few had even heard of him. Rest is history.  

7 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Correct - as I said elsewhere. I would rest him for next ten days, maybe two weeks to get him refreshed and hopefully heal his hamstring. With this horrendous run of injuries I would happily settle for draws against Coventry and Luton (that game in particular will be difficult). We have some points in the bag after recent fantastic results so must not risk any player who is 'carrying an injury' especially something as potentially serious as a hamstring. There are highly rated youngsters on the fringes of the first team. They need to be used now. Remember when The Starman came in? Few had even heard of him. Rest is history.  

Much rather win 1-0, lose 1-0... it’s an extra point!

Crucial we can play out from the back otherwise we’re just playing into opponents hands.... got to be worth seeing if Barden can step up.   So difficult to pick a team, Daniel will be earning his corn this week.    He may be forced to change to 3-5-2 to avoid too much inexperience.... but our players can still get a result!   

Barden

Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Sorensen

Skipp, Tettey 

Vrancic, Martin, Platcheta

Omotoye / Dickson Peters

or

Barden

Zimm, Hanley, Gibson

Aarons, Skipp, Vrancic, Tettey, Platcheta

Martin, Sorensen 

..... well if Sorensen can do a job at left back, why not?   Also if, as expected McGovern is in goal it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have some height up top.... How about Zimmerman?   

Have we got enough to keep the results coming..... course we have!    OTBC

11 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Crucial we can play out from the back otherwise we’re just playing into opponents hands.... got to be worth seeing if Barden can step up.   So difficult to pick a team, Daniel will be earning his corn this week.    He may be forced to change to 3-5-2 to avoid too much inexperience.... but our players can still get a result!   

Barden

Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Sorensen

Skipp, Tettey 

Vrancic, Martin, Platcheta

Omotoye / Dickson Peters

I wondered if Barden would be given the nod against Coventry.  He did well in a game pre-season. Would be a bit of a kick in the teeth for McGovern so I guess he will be given the chance first, but my preference would be to see if the youngster can step up. 

24 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I wondered if Barden would be given the nod against Coventry.  He did well in a game pre-season. Would be a bit of a kick in the teeth for McGovern so I guess he will be given the chance first, but my preference would be to see if the youngster can step up. 

The one thing you can say about McGovern is he's got no pretentions. He knows he's the emergency goalie so personally I don't think he'd be at all worried about seeing one of our up & coming goalies start ahead of him.

On 24/11/2020 at 21:17, Feedthewolf said:

Stiepi played on for a while after his head knock. He wouldn't have been able to play on at all if he were concussed, so I'd imagine he'll be fine to play on Saturday.

Not true. I played several games of rugby concussed- often played a belter. Then didn’t know where I lived afterwards! 

Mcgovern

Aarons Hanley Gibson Sorenson

Tettey Skipp

Rupp Vrancic Martin

Pukki/Placheta (if pukki isn’t fit)

• Like 1

Mcgovern

Tettey Skipp

Martin Vrancic Placheta

Drmic

3 minutes ago, Haus said:

Mcgovern

Tettey Skipp

Martin Vrancic Placheta

Drmic

Would be better off with Fleck or Holt, both available and in the city. 

• Haha 1

Rupp on right did you see any games in Project Restart?  If plays must be central mid

Mario to play in case we get any free kicks around the box and better distribution than Stiep'man and no Pukki to link with,

Martin played on left against Stoke very effective keep him there Placheta can play on right

On 24/11/2020 at 21:14, Tetteys Jig said:

McGovern

Tettey, Skipp

Pukki

This, with Dickson-Peters in for Pukki and I'd like to see Rupp instead of Tettey for a bit more attacking presence 

13 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Can anyone provide a bit more info on Dickson-Peters? What kind of striker is he? 

A young and promising one 😉.

Saw him play a few times last season and he struck me as a good all-round striker. About 5ft 11 - not quick, but not slow - decent, but not outstanding in the air - fairly two footed with quite a good touch and fairly intelligent movement. 

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

A young and promising one 😉.

Saw him play a few times last season and he struck me as a good all-round striker. About 5ft 11 - not quick, but not slow - decent, but not outstanding in the air - fairly two footed with quite a good touch and fairly intelligent movement. 

Cheers Lizard. I'd like to see him have a chance to play rather than playing someone out of position 

18 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Can anyone provide a bit more info on Dickson-Peters? What kind of striker is he? 

according to my football manager file "similar type of player to Rhian Brewster"

Pacy and knows where the goal is

McGovern (gulp!)

Rupp  Skipp

Martin      Vrancic     Placheta

Steipermann

With no Pukki or Buendia were we to somehow force any kind if win here it would be one if the best wins of the season.

To have Pukki Buendia Hugill Idah Cantwell Hernandez and Dowell out all at the same time is beyond just bad luck...

• Like 1

Barden 

Vrancic Skipp 

Martin Stiepermann Plachetta 

Dickson-Peters

• Like 3