Nuff Said

How about a bit of support for our keeper?

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Showing your age there wcorkcanary, the kids have FIFA cards these days.

I hate kids, horrible noisy , grubby , demanding  little  thugs. Send em down t pit age 8.

I was less than complementary on McG, but he has been faultless last five games, and pulled off a worldie today and in one of last weeks games he saved us twice.

Hats off to him.

I would say as well that I notice we haven't been playing balls back to the goalkeeper as much which I guess reduces risk of a mistake.

As well as he has done, we will need someone in the summer as an upgrade, end off.

But for now, cheers to Mikey McM

2 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

I was less than complementary on McG, but he has been faultless last five games, and pulled off a worldie today and in one of last weeks games he saved us twice.

Hats off to him.

I would say as well that I notice we haven't been playing balls back to the goalkeeper as much which I guess reduces risk of a mistake.

As well as he has done, we will need someone in the summer as an upgrade, end off.

Pulled off worldies, been faultless for the majority of games, kept us in matches, but we need an upgrade to our backup keeper "end of"?

🤔

• Like 1

Seems odd that for a thread that states"lets get behind our keeper"  most of the posts up until the end of 4th page seem to be slagging him off. I understand that most people would rather see Krul on the pitch, & that seems to form the basis for some of their extremely negative comments. For gods sake wake up, Krul is injured, McGovern has been very good, I'm delighted to see him do well, I support him, WILL SOME OF YOU JUST SHUT UP & DO THE SAME. ? Jeez, pulled off some great saves, kept clean sheets, & kept us winning, Get with the program.!!!!!

• Like 1

I was one of the ones who was very worried when I knew he’d be playing a few games.

Fair play he has proved me totally wrong and performed brilliantly.

Great to see the clean sheet today and he has definitely earned his championship winners medal 😉

Edited by rock bus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Pulled off worldies, been faultless for the majority of games, kept us in matches, but we need an upgrade to our backup keeper "end of"?

🤔

1 hour ago, NeymarSmith said:

Hats off to him.

To be fair, we always knew he was a good shot stopper.

But its correct that we need a new backup / Krul competition or succession plan, one who can play out of the back... we've had to change our style of play significantly to 'fix' what went wrong in his first couple of games, gone is the patient build up with the back four passing the ball along the backline, because the get of jail free card when that goes wrong (the pass back to the keeper, our 11th outfield player) isn't there.

But credit for his performance today, he's come in and done a decent job. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mella Yella said:

Seems odd that for a thread that states"lets get behind our keeper"  most of the posts up until the end of 4th page seem to be slagging him off. I understand that most people would rather see Krul on the pitch, & that seems to form the basis for some of their extremely negative comments. For gods sake wake up, Krul is injured, McGovern has been very good, I'm delighted to see him do well, I support him, WILL SOME OF YOU JUST SHUT UP & DO THE SAME. ? Jeez, pulled off some great saves, kept clean sheets, & kept us winning, Get with the program.!!!!!

Eh? Have you not paid attention to the dates? 

This thread is from November, nothing negative and nobody slagging him off since it was bumped today for the first time in over 3 weeks. 

2 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Now who else wants a slice of this delicious pie? 😄 

Can you send leftovers to the Todd thread please... 

If it was announced tomorrow that Krul had picked up another injury, and was ruled out for the next 6 months, how would people feel about McGovern becoming our first-choice goalkeeper for the rest of the season? Would anyone be looking to upgrade him in January or genuinely have no issues with him starting every game for all that time?

Not having a go at him I'm genuinely interested as to what people think.

For me, he has done generally very well since coming into the side, and deserves a lot of credit. But, I don't know if this is just me, I worry every time a ball is passed back to him and he's closed down by the opposition striker, or a ball is whipped in at pace in-towards him from a corner. No doubting he's a very good shot-stopper, but if it was down to me, as well as he's done, I would be looking to bring in a new number 1 in that situation (one which we hopefully don't find ourselves in! 😅 ).

36 minutes ago, Pukki Blinders said:

If it was announced tomorrow that Krul had picked up another injury, and was ruled out for the next 6 months, how would people feel about McGovern becoming our first-choice goalkeeper for the rest of the season? Would anyone be looking to upgrade him in January or genuinely have no issues with him starting every game for all that time?

For me, he has done generally very well since coming into the side, and deserves a lot of credit. But, I don't know if this is just me, I worry every time a ball is passed back to him and he's closed down by the opposition striker, or a ball is whipped in at pace in-towards him from a corner. No doubting he's a very good shot-stopper, but if it was down to me, as well as he's done, I would be looking to bring in a new number 1 in that situation (one which we hopefully don't find ourselves in! 😅 ).

So, as well as he's done you would look to replace him? Thats great support.  Well done. I give in.

46 minutes ago, Mella Yella said:

So, as well as he's done you would look to replace him? Thats great support.  Well done. I give in.

There's a huge difference between holding down the fort for a handful of games and being the number 1 for an entire season for a side that are looking to gain promotion. Obviously I support him and want to see him do well, and in Krul's absence he has filled in very well, and as I said deserves credit. 

But ultimately he is our back-up goalkeeper for a reason. I don't think it's unreasonable to state that if Krul was to get a season-ending injury (a completely hypothetical scenario by the way 😅) that we should look to bring in another first-choice goalkeeper. If Farke ever viewed McGovern as good enough to be our number 1 then he never would've signed Krul in the first place.

Edited by Pukki Blinders
  • Like 1

Without reading the full thread I'm picking up McGovern has done well, but no one has ever been brought in to be his understudy so he's basically number two until he leaves.

When he first came in this season I didn't have too much confidence. Has always been a good shot stopper so wasn't worried about that - it was his physical presence as a goalkeeeper ! In the last games he has improved his passing, handled confidently and has  come out punching protecting his area - we can't change him physically but I now  have confidence !

If he stays in the team after Krul recovers - it would not be because DF shows loyality towards him - it would be on merit !

21 hours ago, Ian said:

🤔

Well, we do. Take off the yellow and green specs. He isn't good enough. He has played but he just isnt, even more so in the premier League hopefully next year.

I suppose with all your mouth, you were as cool as a cucumber when krul was injured knowing McGovern could step in no problem?

1 hour ago, NeymarSmith said:

Well, we do. Take off the yellow and green specs. He isn't good enough. He has played but he just isnt, even more so in the premier League hopefully next year.

I suppose with all your mouth, you were as cool as a cucumber when krul was injured knowing McGovern could step in no problem?

McGovern is absolutely good enough to be a second-choice keeper in the league, as he has unequivocally demonstrated over the last few games.

If your argument is that he's not good enough for backup in the Premiership, then as well as you clearly shifting the goal posts (most were clearly saying he is not good enough for the division we are in), how about we wait until we actually get there? There are many current first-teamers who also fit this criteria, as we know from last season, so I am not sure my McG is singled out for such vociferous criticism.

If you care to go back and find my comments from where McGovern came on against Stoke, I think you'll find I have been fairly consistent.

As for the "all my mouth" comment, I'm guessing introspection isn't one of your strong points.

• Like 1

If you all cast your minds back to when Krul signed, many of the idiots on here were slating him, why don't you leave it to the professionals at NCFC, they have far more idea than any of us. McGovern has been a success these past few weeks, he is an international keeper and has done a great job as stand in for a keeper that many slagged off as useless when he first joined!

1 hour ago, Ian said:

McGovern is absolutely good enough to be a second-choice keeper in the league, as he has unequivocally demonstrated over the last few games.

If your argument is that he's not good enough for backup in the Premiership, then as well as you clearly shifting the goal posts (most were clearly saying he is not good enough for the division we are in), how about we wait until we actually get there? There are many current first-teamers who also fit this criteria, as we know from last season, so I am not sure my McG is singled out for such vociferous criticism.

If you care to go back and find my comments from where McGovern came on against Stoke, I think you'll find I have been fairly consistent.

As for the "all my mouth" comment, I'm guessing introspection isn't one of your strong points.

Sir, I apologise for the "all your mouth" comment, a touch OTT from me. I also will concede that yes indeed you have been pro McG since he came into the team. 

In terms of moving the goal posts and my point about him not being good enough for the premier League, I guess its a bit pointless to bring that up looking back. As you said, a fair are in that camp and we are championship at present. 

What I would like to state though, (and this is contrary to your thoughts) is that overall and despite McG playing very well, I still think he is good enough for Norwich in this league. Yes, he is in good form and we have done to death the argument of who else will come in as no 2 who is any better, but I just believe there is better than him out there. Having said that, yes, totally eating humble pie at present due to him being in very good form.

May I direct the question which one of the other posters said in this thread. If krul was to be declared out for the season tomorrow morning, would you be happy with McG for the rest of the season or would you go January sales for a new keeper?

Obviously I am saying I wouldn't be happy one bit if he was our goalkeeper til rest of season, end of. Sorry but that's my opinion. I don't think he is good enough and he doesn't fit in/have the ability to play the ball with his feet which seems pivotal to how we want to play.

On 19/12/2020 at 22:53, Pukki Blinders said:

Well its actually a really easy question to answer. 

If Krul was out for the season we'd need another senior keeper with Barden being just 19 and nowhere near ready, and Oxborough out with a serious injury (unsure about return date).

And if you are signing a senior keeper you'd may as well make it one capable of challenging McGovern for the shirt! 

• Like 1

On 19/12/2020 at 20:16, wcorkcanary said:

I hate kids, horrible noisy , grubby , demanding  little  thugs. Send em down t pit age 8.

Ah, there speaks a fond father of six