Nuff Said

How about a bit of support for our keeper?

19 hours ago, Ian said:

Not the most convincing, but very tough to be thrown into that situation and be expected to perform at the optimum level.

Let's not forget Krul took many first team games to come into top form, with some shockers along the way.

At least McGovern has a better back line in front of him than Krul had at that time.

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

No, because they are so prescriptive, so certain about their being in the right & scoffing at anyone who says it ain't actually that straightforward.

Whereas you don't come across as certain about being right on this issue at all...

18 hours ago, curious yellow said:

I agree that we've got to support him but we played 6 hours without conceding, he comes on for less than an hour and we concede 2.

Whether Krul is fit or not we've got to bring in a good second goalkeeper in January. Many of us said this at the start of the season. There's too much to lose. 

Indeed but we didn't have ten men thanks to Emi and thus the incentive that Stoke had to throw on every available forward.

Edited by paul moy

18 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

We got McGovern following heroics against Germany some years back. I watched him being warmed up before a preseason friendly and spilt more valls than he caught that were being thrown up to him. Never ever filled me with any confidence

Where is Theoklitis when we need him ? 🤣

18 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Indeed but we didn't have ten men thanks to Emi and thus the incentive that Stoke had to throw on every available forward.

And we strengthened our defence to deal with this. Can't see McGovern doing better with these situations if Buendia was on the pitch. 

Anyway I hope he proves me wrong but the way things are going he'll be injured in a couple of weeks. 

52 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

And we strengthened our defence to deal with this. Can't see McGovern doing better with these situations if Buendia was on the pitch. 

Anyway I hope he proves me wrong but the way things are going he'll be injured in a couple of weeks. 

Maybe, maybe not - but if Buendia had remained on the pitch chances are there would have been a lot less of these situations to deal with in the first place.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Whereas you don't come across as certain about being right on this issue at all...

I'm not. But if someone tries to put one of our players in the worst possible light then I'll push back as hard the other way. That it should come from a 'supporter' makes it ten times worse.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, king canary said:

I think it would make you an idiot as you're actively going looking for it when you know it is part and parcel of the job you chose.

If you go looking for it and it ends up hurting your confidence then you only have yourself to blame.  

I wasn’t suggesting he was solely seeking out criticism per se. That would be a bit weird. But I was saying if there was a pretty big website that chatted specifically about you and your mates I think nearly everyone with online access would have a peep from time to time, I don’t believe for a minute for instance that you would be above that either. It’s natural human curiosity. 

The goal was rightfully chalked off because if you watch it, it’s clear as day the Stoke player leads into the challenge with an elbow the whole way clattering into MM’s chest. Not sure how the Stoke fans can’t see that but nevermind!

3 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

The goal was rightfully chalked off because if you watch it, it’s clear as day the Stoke player leads into the challenge with an elbow the whole way clattering into MM’s chest. Not sure how the Stoke fans can’t see that but nevermind!

Watching the video highlights of the match, the Stoke player after he knew the ref had given a free kick against him didn't seem surprised, or indeed, upset.  Reinforces he had fouled McGovern.  But boy, it wasn't a particularly commanding attempt to get his hands on the ball by MM.

4 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I wasn’t suggesting he was solely seeking out criticism per se. That would be a bit weird. But I was saying if there was a pretty big website that chatted specifically about you and your mates I think nearly everyone with online access would have a peep from time to time, I don’t believe for a minute for instance that you would be above that either. It’s natural human curiosity. 

Added to which - a lot of the payers use Instagram. Do you think they don’t read the comments on their posts? Would be almost impossible IMHO.

15 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

True but I think if you're a professional footballer you have to accept a bit of criticism comes with the job. McGovern will have done very well out of his time at Norwich at I'm sure he can cope with fans on a forum not thinking he's very good.

23 hours ago, king canary said:

True but I think if you're a professional footballer you have to accept a bit of criticism comes with the job. McGovern will have done very well out of his time at Norwich at I'm sure he can cope with fans on a forum not thinking he's very good.

Oh definitely, KC - agreed. I think any footballer in his right mind should be able to take harmless respectful criticism too (the whole Todd thing recently was different because it’d become a little personal for some). That’s part and parcel of the job. Can’t deny Krul isn’t one of my favourite players, but I hope Micky M gives Farke a little selection headache when Tim is back available!

44 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Oh definitely, KC - agreed. I think any footballer in his right mind should be able to take harmless respectful criticism too (the whole Todd thing recently was different because it’d become a little personal for some). That’s part and parcel of the job. Can’t deny Krul isn’t one of my favourite players, but I hope Micky M gives Farke a little selection headache when Tim is back available!

I think for fans there are ways of doing it- if I'm going to say on twitter, for example, that I don't think player x is playing very well I'm not going to be personal and I'm certainly not going to '@' them in the tweet, which is what happened quite a bit with Cantwell it seems (cough *waveney* cough).

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think for fans there are ways of doing it- if I'm going to say on twitter, for example, that I don't think player x is playing very well I'm not going to be personal and I'm certainly not going to '@' them in the tweet, which is what happened quite a bit with Cantwell it seems (cough *waveney* cough).

Exactly! Couldn’t agree more, KC 👏

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Can’t deny Krul isn’t one of my favourite players, but I hope Micky M gives Farke a little selection headache when Tim is back available!

Yep, these are my sentiments too. If we keep on winning and MM proves his worth, then he shouldn't be dropped. Same goes for Barden if he is given a chance. Success is success and it should be rewarded.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yep, these are my sentiments too. If we keep on winning and MM proves his worth, then he shouldn't be dropped. Same goes for Barden if he is given a chance. Success is success and it should be rewarded.

Yep, totally hear you Lakey. It’s through these (unfortunate) circumstances that a footballer earns the right to the shirt. I have to say that Krul will always be my number 1 choice push come to shove, as I just feel he is so very important to us. But y’know, what do you do if Micky M keeps 6 clean sheets in a row? Can’t really drop him on the back of that, can you? My feeling is MM will do perfectly fine in the mean time, but I do expect Krul will come back in at the first opportunity. No different to Pukki, just at the other end of the pitch - a matchwinner on many an occasion for us.

Very glad to eat humble pie on this one, as one of the people who was very apprehensive to him being our number two he has more than proven me wrong.

I suppose to his credit and something which probably wasn't considered prior to this run of games, was that he has only ever been a feature for the odd couple of matches and never under any stability. His performances have reflected this in the past as he's never built up the match sharpness he really needs.

And in keeping with that, he got off to what felt like a familiar shaky start against Coventry and Luton - fumbling very simple catches in both games and struggling to kick effectively. Particularly against Luton where the whole crowd cottoned on! 

At this point I wasn't really expecting much better, but he's far exceeded my expectations in the last 5 games and you can see there's a lot more confidence. His handling has been completely faultess since the Luton game and his kicking has been much more.... passable. He's also pulled off a few top saves in the last 3 games, the Reading header being the pick of the bunch. Very happy he got his clean sheet today!

Of course, Krul still has to come back in as soon as he is 100% fit, no question whatsoever. But now the reasoning is more a reflection of Krul's attributes as a keeper and less a reflection of McGovern's flaws. 

Well done MM!

Now who else wants a slice of this delicious pie? 😄 

• Like 1

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

I no longer wish to swap McGovern for Lee Camp. 

Even me in defending McGovern didn't think he'd settle so quickly after his initial shaky start.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I no longer wish to swap McGovern for Lee Camp. 

Maybe you could print a new Top Trump card for MM , one that shows his true value to us.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Even me in defending McGovern didn't think he'd settle so quickly after his initial shaky start.

I feel a bit harsh calling him a National League keeper.

I reckon he'd walk into most League One sides 🤣

In my defence, I did speculate that I think the reason the club didn't upgrade McGovern and invest in a number 2 is because they think Oxborough is good enough to make the grade, and that he'd possibly have gone into this season as our number 2 if not injured.

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Maybe you could print a new Top Trump card for MM , one that shows his true value to us.

Showing your age there wcorkcanary, the kids have FIFA cards these days.