Nuff Said

How about a bit of support for our keeper?

13 minutes ago, Ian said:

Let's not forget Krul took many first team games to come into top form, with some shockers along the way.

There is a massive difference in the situations. Krul had pedigree of being good from the past, McGovern has pedigree of being poor. Krul was never as bad as he was made out to be (conversely, he isn't as good as made out to be now or last season. He's good - better than our current playing level - but he isn't the messiah and still makes mistakes). It was the typical over reaction that fans make. Krul was in his prime, McGovern is long past that.

I hope he does well. I just don't think he will. I hope that I am forced to eat my words.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Oh and let's be honest we're lucky a terrible decision saved us from drawing 3-3 after an utter clanger by McGovern. Personally I'd rather we played Barden. 

The Stoke player backed into him, barging him out of the way without having the ball. Clear foul.

2 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

There is a massive difference in the situations. Krul had pedigree of being good from the past, McGovern has pedigree of being poor. Krul was never as bad as he was made out to be (conversely, he isn't as good as made out to be now or last season. He's good - better than our current playing level - but he isn't the messiah and still makes mistakes). It was the typical over reaction that fans make. Krul was in his prime, McGovern is long past that.

I hope he does well. I just don't think he will. I hope that I am forced to eat my words.

McGovern does not have a pedigree of being poor, he's had a reasonable career.

It's no surprise that our number 2 keeper isn't as good as our number 1, which seems to be peoples' main problem with him, but I am at a loss as to what people expected.

Krul's class was obvious, anyone who judged him too early, as per Vrancic, were a bit silly and immature. However, you cannot expect McGovern to come into the situation he came in today, having played a limited number of first team games, and expect him to be at his peak.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

It's no surprise that our number 2 keeper isn't as good as our number 1, which seems to be peoples' main problem with him, but I am at a loss as to what people expected.

Krul's class was obvious, anyone who judged him too early, as per Vrancic, were a bit silly and immature. However, you cannot expect McGovern to come into the situation he came in today, having played a limited number of first team games, and expect him to be at his peak.

I dont think most peoples issue with McGovern is how he played tonight.

In general, when he has played, he's looked like an ok shot stopper but weak in the air, poor on the deck and generally a bit a liability. Yeah no number 2 will be as good as Krul but in my opinion the drop off from Krul to McGovern is bigger than any other between a start and his back up in our squad.

• Like 5

Just now, Nuff Said said:

Just not living up to KC’s high standards.

I think a footballer who logs onto a fan forum and gets upset at people criticising is probably a bit of an idiot to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

He joined us at 32 having spent the entirety of his career in Scotland,; most of it in the second tier. 

I think the comment of having pedigree of being poor is unfair, but let's be honest, be doesn't have much of a CV for this level and he's 36 now.

He effectively built his career on four good games at Euro 16.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Blimey, Rivvo has just said he doesn't think McGovern is any good on Canary Call, agreeing with a caller who's absolutely slating him.

Well he's paid to give his opinion, not to blow smoke up peoples backsides. Its one I agree with personally, we should have a better second choice keeper than this. 

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

Reasonable career, probably, just about. Only two full seasons in the Scottish Premier League, with the rest being lower league Scottish football.

Every time I've watched him play for us - and I don't recall ever watching him before - I've thought he was not good enough. That was long before Krul came here, whilst we were in the Championship and he was only ever considered 2nd choice.

Agreed about the people judging Krul early.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well he's paid to give his opinion, not to blow smoke up peoples backsides. Its one I agree with personally, we should have a better second choice keeper than this. 

I agree with him too, mate... was just surprised that he was so outspoken with his criticism is all.

50 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Nothing wrong with his performance. All our problems tonight came from one idiot, and it wasn't McGovern

Who you nominating boss? 😉

We got McGovern following heroics against Germany some years back. I watched him being warmed up before a preseason friendly and spilt more valls than he caught that were being thrown up to him. Never ever filled me with any confidence

31 minutes ago, king canary said:

I dont think most peoples issue with McGovern is how he played tonight.

In general, when he has played, he's looked like an ok shot stopper but weak in the air, poor on the deck and generally a bit a liability. Yeah no number 2 will be as good as Krul but in my opinion the drop off from Krul to McGovern is bigger than any other between a start and his back up in our squad.

Couldn't agree more, I think McGovern is probably a League 1 keeper at best to be honest at this stage in his career - and based on his performances for us previously I don't think I'd say he was ever a competent championship keeper either. Krul on the other hand would not be out of place in any of the lower end prem sides IMO.

We absolutely should've signed a back up keeper in that rather large amount of middle ground between the two. 

No one is expecting him to be as good as Krul, but in a team which is meant to be competing at the top end of the championship we should surely have a stronger back up option. 

I do feel sorry for McGovern as he will undoubtedly face criticism if things go pearshaped, with the situation clearly no fault of his own!

15 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Never a foul in a million years 😂

If you simply stand your ground it's fine, but if you back into a player without having control of the ball it's a barge, & a foul 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

I agree with him too, mate... was just surprised that he was so outspoken with his criticism is all.

I've worked with people from Crewe... they all call a spade a spade.

Foul, never!   He got his technique all wrong, never set, never got in any position to challenge and floundered.... a Sunday morning keeper would have to buy the first round if he did that!  

Was awful keeping and the red bailed him out.    Most critically, McGovern can’t play the ball out from the back.   Against Villa last season he was frightened to death to give it to Godfrey or Amadou.    That’s a crucial aspect of our game, if he sends it long, our game plan and tactics are shot!

Need to give Barden his chance.   He looked quite assured against Darmstadt.!  

Edited by ged in the onion bag

Keepers are always a tricky one to get right - they rarely get injured but when they do you need a decent one ready, a guy who has had to sit on the bench for a number of games.  The problem is that on the odd occasions he’s been needed we have never looked assured with McGovern in goal - but equally he’s never been given a proper run to build up any rhythm.  Back in the summer I was totally convinced in that we needed another, and still do but we have what we have and need to get behind him and make the best of it.

I think the only reasons McGovern is still with us are A. He's a massive part of the changing room and B. He won't make anywhere near the same money playing for a team he'll start for. 

Too easily exploitable at this level but any keeper good enough to challenge Krul will be too expensive (and likely impatient) to have sitting around if he fails (Fahrmann).

Personally I'd give the youngster a go, but I'm a starry eyed Football Manager manager who doesn't even put a keeper on the bench. The reality is that a big error under the spotlight of a promotion push could literally ruin a young keeper, and I don't think Farke will risk that when experience is available.

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Despite knowing better, I was surprised at the amount of flak thrown at McGovern before he’d even touched the ball tonight. If he starts the next game, it’ll be the first full competitive match he’s played for a long time.

It would be his first full competitive match since 15th November, when he played 90 minutes against Austria in the Nations League?

28 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I think the only reasons McGovern is still with us are A. He's a massive part of the changing room and B. He won't make anywhere near the same money playing for a team he'll start for. 

Too easily exploitable at this level but any keeper good enough to challenge Krul will be too expensive (and likely impatient) to have sitting around if he fails (Fahrmann).

Personally I'd give the youngster a go, but I'm a starry eyed Football Manager manager who doesn't even put a keeper on the bench. The reality is that a big error under the spotlight of a promotion push could literally ruin a young keeper, and I don't think Farke will risk that when experience is available.

Jack Bonham springs to mind. His debut for Watford in the final match of the 2012/13 season was his only appearance for the club, as he made a couple of blunders that led to Watford blowing automatic promotion.

Saying that, it's very much a sink or swim situation for a young keeper and some have swum in the past. More tend to sink when they're thrown in at the deep end, however.

2 hours ago, curious yellow said:

I agree that we've got to support him but we played 6 hours without conceding, he comes on for less than an hour and we concede 2.

Oh come on.... I think McGovern is pants too, but a red card came before those goals too didn't it! 

12 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Jack Bonham springs to mind. His debut for Watford in the final match of the 2012/13 season was his only appearance for the club, as he made a couple of blunders that led to Watford blowing automatic promotion.

Saying that, it's very much a sink or swim situation for a young keeper and some have swum in the past. More tend to sink when they're thrown in at the deep end, however.

Hmmm........... think back to the stellar full debuts of Andy Marshall and Robert Green. 

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Hmmm........... think back to the stellar full debuts of Andy Marshall and Robert Green. 

Indeed, some swim, but most will have some hairy moments in their first few appearances and end up being taken out of the firing line before long. Marshall is an example of that.

It's not a question of he's not good enough compared to Tim Krul. It's he's not good enough compared to any other Norwich keeper in 50 years (the one game "wonder" Theoklitos excluded). Yes, we have been spoiled, but at Norwich we expect top class goalkeeping and with all due respect to McGovern he does not deliver that.

Edited by Surfer

I believe this his final year of his contract, as others never filled e with confidence when he’s played before and certainly didn’t last night.

If Barden is on par at his tender age with McGovern then I’d much rather throw him in against Coventry.

But I doubt Farke will risk playing the youngster unless absolutely necessary.

It’s not harsh to state concern it is mere fact 

Tim krul is a top champs/ lower Prem standard keeper. He exudes confidence in those around him

mcgovern is L2 standard keeper signed off the back of one decent tournament with a career spent in lower reaches of Scottish football. He is also well past his prime. 

You might as well expect a Ford Fiesta to replace a Mercedes in a race. 

Whilst I would agree that McGovern has deficiencies, he is our backup keeper. I see people who are saying that it's an issue that needed addressing in the summer but honestly, who would you bring in? I don't really know what the standard is for 2nd choice keepers in the champs but I can't imagine it's brimming with good keepers. Signing a second choice is not as easy as people seem to think. What good goalkeeper wants to come in and be behind Krul in the pecking order? Krul is clearly going to be first choice. Anyone you sign is likely to be an older player towards the end of their career that you see as a stopgap or young player with potential. We have both of those in the squad already. 

If someone wants to prove me wrong with a list of all the top quality 2nd choice keepers in the Championship that aren't over the hill or youngsters, I'm happy to change my opinion on the quality level of backup keepers in the champs

Edited by seanthecanary