Nuff Said

How about a bit of support for our keeper?

Despite knowing better, I was surprised at the amount of flak thrown at McGovern before he’d even touched the ball tonight. If he starts the next game, it’ll be the first full competitive match he’s played for a long time. Anyone remember Krul’s first few games for us? He’s Farke’s choice, let’s get behind him.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Despite knowing better, I was surprised at the amount of flak thrown at McGovern before he’d even touched the ball tonight. If he starts the next game, it’ll be the first full competitive match he’s played for a long time. Anyone remember Krul’s first few games for us? He’s Farke’s choice, let’s get behind him.

Agreed - he's a great shot stopper but lacks Kruls inspirational presence and character (which is hugely important for a keeper). I have no qualms about McGovern playing for a few weeks, it's the rest of the injuries that are a nightmare. 

• Like 1

He never fills me with confidence, I can't lie. But obviously we all need to do our best to get behind him, as he might be set for a stint between the sticks now. Let's hope Tim's back before too long.

Krul is the single player we will miss the most if out for any time. Partly due to the fact he is good and partly due to the inadequacy of his replacement. 

6 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

If he starts the next game, it’ll be the first full competitive match he’s played for a long time

He played in one of Norn Irons games the other week

Blimey, Rivvo has just said he doesn't think McGovern is any good on Canary Call, agreeing with a caller who's absolutely slating him.

Wouldn't want to go too many games with McGovern in goal. Very average keeper, decent shot stopper but almost no presence.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Do we think Michael McGovern was reading this forum when he was coming on?

No but every chance he will before the next match.

Not the most convincing, but very tough to be thrown into that situation and be expected to perform at the optimum level.

Let's not forget Krul took many first team games to come into top form, with some shockers along the way.

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Wouldn't want to go too many games with McGovern in goal. Very average keeper, decent shot stopper but almost no presence.

This. I dont rate McGovern and I'm not going to pretend I do so I appear to 'get behind him' when my opinion on him will have a 0.0% bearing on his performances.

We are where we are. People called it out before the transfer window ended, but we will just have to go with Farke's opinion and judgement of McGovern. Hopefully it will work, and if it doesn't then we will know where to lay blame.

Thought he did OK tonight, came for a couple of crosses well. I'm more concerned with him from long shots as he doesn't fill the goal well.

He scares the bejesus out of me, and we clearly have no confidence in his ball playing skills as we changed to long ball distribution from the keeper long before Buendias red. 

We cannot afford Krul out long term. 

Not really sure what the benefit of hammering McGovern at every opportunity is, he is probably going to play a few games now so might as well get behind the bloke. I’ve never thought he’s as bad as many people make out, he’s no Krul but he’s our number two and that isn’t going to change any time soon. 

He just doesn't fit our style of play.  If we don't build from the back we never control a game (true possession doesn't guarantee victory but it gets you a long way there). McGovern is useless with the ball at his feet.  Fact!  So we are destined to see the ball launched forward and having to pick up scraps as we have no target man (Hugill might have come into his own, McLean was used as the target man in the EPL, both now out injured for weeks).  Without Buendia I'm not sure we can then win the ball in the oppositions half either, so we will see the ball forever comeback to us.  It still doesn't mean we will lose but boy is our midfield going to get flashbacks of life from last season. 

Now the Barden lad, anyone know if he is good with the ball at his feet?

Edited by shefcanary
  • Like 1

One good save and then lucky after misjudging that punch.

It was obvious Stoke would go aerial and none of our defence can handle it, let alone McGovern. Zonal is definitely part of the reason.

If Krul is out against Coventry, from what I've seen of them, the pressure will not be aerial.

I think its just frustrating as the conversation was had preseason plenty of times. Surely Farke / Webber knew it was a massive punt to bank on Krul not getting injured in such a congested season.

I personally don't believe McGovern is good enough to be a second choice keeper for us for any prolonged amount of time unfortunately. Not just because of his goalkeeping - he also clearly hampers our game when we look to build from the back, we almost completely stopped going short when he came on and have little options / aren't suited for the long ball forwards either. 

Obviously the sending off hamstrung us massively, but I have no doubt that we'd have seen that game out much more comfortably with Krul coming for crosses and through balls with much more confidence and giving the defence more respite. It felt like his injury sucked the life out of the defence a little bit in the first half! 

I think people are entitled to point this out and still get behind the player when he plays - I certainly want to see him do well, whilst remaining annoyed that we have walked ourselves into another situation where we are bare bones in an important position. 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 2

Combination of: Krul being the best keeper in the league, Krul being comfortable with the ball at his feet and Krul's influence on the defence.

McGovern is a perfectly adequate back-up keeper and a good shot stopper but his lack of presence and inability to play out is going to hurt us.

• Like 2

Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I think its just frustrating as the conversation was had preseason plenty of times. Surely Farke / Webber knew it was a massive punt to bank on Krul not getting injured in such a congested season.

I personally don't believe McGovern is good enough to be a second choice keeper for us for any prolonged amount of time unfortunately. Not just because of his goalkeeping - he also clearly hampers our game when we look to build from the back, we almost completely stopped going short when he came on and have little options / aren't suited for the long ball forwards either. 

Obviously the sending off hamstrung us massively, but I have no doubt that we'd have seen that game out much more comfortably with Krul coming for crosses and through balls with much more confidence and giving the defence more restbite. It felt like his injury sucked the life out of the defence a little bit in the first half! 

I think people are entitled to point this out and still get behind the player when he plays - I certainly want to see him do well, whilst remaining annoyed that we have walked ourselves into another situation where we are bare bones in an important position. 

Correct.

Both the goalkeeping and left back issues were certainly foresight and not hindsight.

I agree that we've got to support him but we played 6 hours without conceding, he comes on for less than an hour and we concede 2.

Whether Krul is fit or not we've got to bring in a good second goalkeeper in January. Many of us said this at the start of the season. There's too much to lose.