Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Josh Martin

Deserved a thread. Stoke away is a difficult league start but reminded me quite a bit of Cantwell, obviously not as good yet.

To get an assist and be involved in one of the other goals directly will be great for his confidence. Thought he used the ball well, has a good touch, and linked up well with Stiepermann and Buendia.

• Like 4

Pretty much guaranteed to start on Saturday after Buendia's silliness, so a chance to build up some momentum and try and make the place his own. 

Martin can easily hold his own in the first team if he gets a fair run. He has a touch of quality and doesn't get rushed on the ball which is always a hallmark of a decent player. 

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

No, he was better than that. Did well and plainly more to come from him.

my point was rather more that we don't have to panic about not having enough first team players, as Martin looked as if he had been a regular

now lets see who else is able to step up

Was really impressed with him as haven’t seen him play too much. Calm, good passer and read play well. Looking good 👍

From the BBC match report, describing Teemu's second goal.

"And he had his eighth league goal after the break, rounding home goalkeeper Joe Bursik after a pass from impressive teenager Josh Martin.' 

The interview he did with the Athletic suggests he's got the right attitude and a good head on his shoulders which bodes well for him building on this positive start.

Thought he was outstanding, run out of steam, needs game time to get match fit.

Buendia again outstanding and unlucky with the first yellow certainly wasn’t worth a card.

Great Three points.

17 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Did really well, especially early in the game. Arguably looks better than Cantwell did at the same stage in his career.

There's no 'arguably' about it Capt. Pants. 

Cantwell didn't make his first team debut for us until one month before his 20th birthday (and that was as a sub in an FA Cup game). Martin has only just turned 19 and has already made a handful of first team appearances for us.

I saw Cantwell play a few games as an 18 year-old and I've seen Martin play a few games as an 18 year-old. 

The difference was this: Cantwell was clearly one of the best players on the pitch - Martin was the OUTSTANDING player on the pitch.

Cantwell has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of seasons - if Martin can achieve the same rate of progress he will become an absolute star. 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
  • Like 3

I said before the season started that Martin would be the one to watch this season.  Now Buendia and Cantwell are both out for Coventry, and Steipi looking doubtful, a lot now will rest on his shoulders Saturday.  Your time has come Josh.

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

There's no 'arguably' about it Capt. Pants. 

Cantwell didn't make his first team debut for us until one month before his 20th birthday (and that was as a sub in an FA Cup game). Martin has only just turned 19 and has already made a handful of first team appearances for us.

I saw Cantwell play a few games as an 18 year-old and I've seen Martin play a few games as an 18 year-old. 

The difference was this: Cantwell was clearly one of the best players on the pitch - Martin was the OUTSTANDING player on the pitch.

Cantwell has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of seasons - if Martin can achieve the same rate of progress he will become an absolute star. 

Cantwell's improvement seemed to come specifically in the 2019 preseason, before we kicked things off in the prem. 

He had shown glimpses in our championship campaign (I particularly remember him playing well in the 0-1 loss at home to Portsmouth in the cup) but never really looked like setting the world alight. 

Then came that game at Anfield first game of the season, and he looked a completely different prospect. Stronger in possession, tenacious off the ball and a direct goal threat always.

I have never known a player to change so much in just a couple of months - and I doubt Martin will be able to transform to quite the same extent - but as you say he has a headstart on Cantwell so if he makes steady progress the next couple of seasons we will have quite a player on our hands.

Let's hope he continues to impress, will certainly be getting more chances with our current injury plight!

He did more than enough to keep his place even without injuries. One of the best things about Farke is that he doesn't really play favourites. If a player comes in to cover an injury and they do well, they keep their place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seanthecanary said:

He did more than enough to keep his place even without injuries. One of the best things about Farke is that he doesn't really play favourites. If a player comes in to cover an injury and they do well, they keep their place. 

So Kenny isn’t his favourite? 😉😁

I thought he played very well, for a young lad on his full debut. Didn’t look out of place at all and did some wonderful link-up play (as others have commented above). Attitude is as much a skill as technical ability. Hopefully he’s a little less full of himself and disruptive like other young stars we’ve developed.

• Like 1