cambridgeshire canary

Injury updates- Cantwell and Hugill out until late December/early january (Although Hugill may need surgery), Mclean out 4 months and Xavi still out for an unknown peroid

It’s a shame but we can hardly be surprised that we are short in some areas when we didn’t have cover to start with following our slightly strange summer transfer window.  Having so many midfielders on the books means it’s the only area we are ok.

Edited by Branston Pickle

27 minutes ago, Bill said:

It would seem that many are due to excessive strain during training.

Farke has repeatedly said players are selected through commitment in training.

Being super fit might allow for late goals but that 'over work' is now being seen in the injury list

So on our injury list we have:
Hugill - fell awkwardly on his shoulder in the game Vs. Middlesbrough.
Dowell - injury sustained through nasty tackle at the start of the season.
McClean - twisted his knee Vs Middlesbrough
Idah - Injured whilst away on international duty - knee.
Quintilla - injured in the warm up Vs Brentford, hip.
Hernandez - groin, 
Cantwell - Hip in training.
Mumba - freak incident in training, no tackle etc - knee.
Byram - hamstrings, which I believe had previously been an issue.

Doubtful:
Rupp - tight after the game Vs Middlesbrough.
Buendia - took a knock to his foot in game Vs. Middlesbrough.

So on that basis we have three actual injuries right now caused by incidents/tackles in games in Buendia, Hugill and Dowell. We then have injuries sustained during games or the warm up to them which amounts to McClean, Quintilla and possibly Idah as well as Rupp.

So out of the 11 players there, at least 6 were due to match day issues rather than training. There is an argument that the knees could be due to load, but in my experience they are more to do with turning, sometimes really innocuously which it sounds like with Mumba. I had a team mate in 11 a side Sunday league make do both his anterior and medial ligaments in one go in the most gentlest of turns away from the ball and not close to a player.

Hips I don't have a lot of experience with really. But either way it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. A fair few pundits and ex pro's are saying that the goals we score late in games are evidence that the squad is kept in tip top condition fitness wise. So arguably if they're not, we perhaps don't get those late goals and win those games.

Unfortunately, if it wasn’t for these hard training sessions we have then it’s unlikely we’d be as successful as we’ve been. Bit of a catch 22 - no pain, no gain, as they say.

• Like 1

Just now, Alex Moss said:

Unfortunately, if it wasn’t for these hard training sessions we have then it’s unlikely we’d be as successful as we’ve been. Bit of a catch 22 - no pain, no gain, as they say.

No-one seems to mention the modern boots and overly manicured pitches when looking at injuries. Greater grip and deeper surface means less give underfoot.

How the hell do these young healthy athletes manage to get injured 

Perhaps time to get Holt and Roberts back on the books

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Still don't have squad numbers and I'm pretty sure neither of them want anything to do with us. If they were to be called back into the team I highly doubt their hearts would be in it regardless.

Drmic played for the under 23s earlier this season so its really odd that we'd freeze him out like this. He must have really upset Farke.

As for the youth, I wonder if Nizet is worthy of a place on the bench tomorrow after his great display today?

We are short at left back and its not like he'd be required to play another 90 mins

12 minutes ago, jaywick_canery said:

No-one seems to mention the modern boots and overly manicured pitches when looking at injuries. Greater grip and deeper surface means less give underfoot.

Why have you suddenly become sensible?

Did your prescription finally arrive?

In truth there are a multitude of factors.

I always assumed that vigorous training ceased once the season was underway and match fitness and light training were the order of the day after that.

Even Ron Saunders only had them running up Mousehold Hill with a ton of coal on their backs pre-season (although they did have to row in pairs along the Yare to Yarmouth and back twice a week.) 

It seems, from reports, that DF has intensity as a matter of routine.

That this might be the cause of our current strife seems feasible as well.

Edited by BroadstairsR

7 minutes ago, jaywick_canery said:

I'm not sure about the boots, it's a possibility but they tend to be pretty well tested these days and they have to be, no one is going to want boots that injure their players.

The surface intrigues me. I know if a pitch is wet and slippery they are likely to overextend and stretch muscles and ligaments. Not sure you mean "deeper" surface either, do you mean the way they mesh artificial with real and use a type of grass with a much more robust root system so it doesn't tend to come up in clumps so much? It's a possibility, I did my worse footballing injury on a 3g pitch at Eastern college, went down onto one knee after being tripped and it felt almost like I hit the concrete underneath it... 

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

I'm not sure about the boots, it's a possibility but they tend to be pretty well tested these days and they have to be, no one is going to want boots that injure their players.

The surface intrigues me. I know if a pitch is wet and slippery they are likely to overextend and stretch muscles and ligaments. Not sure you mean "deeper" surface either, do you mean the way they mesh artificial with real and use a type of grass with a much more robust root system so it doesn't tend to come up in clumps so much? It's a possibility, I did my worse footballing injury on a 3g pitch at Eastern college, went down onto one knee after being tripped and it felt almost like I hit the concrete underneath it... 

The stud alignments now are computer designed to prevent slipping on the modern type surface whereas years ago there was more slip and less 'dig in'.

Just a thought

Hip injuries can be bad ones as they have a knack of triggering something else, or indeed be due to something else. I had the runner's knee back in 2013 which manifests itself as pain in the knee, but is generally a tightening of the iliotibial band between the hip and the knee. Also had a weak hip flexor in there, and that was caused by a repeatedly sprained ankle which I didn't treat for a decade, then got a physio to bust up all the scar tissue with ultrasound and got back into my running again. It still flares up now and again, but never anywhere near as bad as before. So, anyone wondering about Cantwell and his hip problem, they can be a bit long-winded and irritating from my experience.

I do think surfaces can be a problem as astroturf tend to be placed on hard surfaces. The advantage of the old boggy turf was that you always had soft landings. Sure, there was always the risk of a groin or hammy strain trying to get out of a glue pit, but your feet would slide around a touch and not stick. I've had more trouble with my feet sticking on an astro.

Have to say i agree with Bill on this subject. Last season we accrued a huge amount of injuries and i questioned wether it was  just bad luck, but to be in the same position for a 2nd season running  does suggest luck has nothing to do with it. But im still interested to know if most other Champs clubs have as many injuries as City...if we are  more or less way above all others for injuries then as a fan one does have to consider wether its out training routines causing this issue.

33 minutes ago, chicken said:

So on our injury list we have:
Hugill - fell awkwardly on his shoulder in the game Vs. Middlesbrough.
Dowell - injury sustained through nasty tackle at the start of the season.
McClean - twisted his knee Vs Middlesbrough
Idah - Injured whilst away on international duty - knee.
Quintilla - injured in the warm up Vs Brentford, hip.
Hernandez - groin, 
Cantwell - Hip in training.
Mumba - freak incident in training, no tackle etc - knee.
Byram - hamstrings, which I believe had previously been an issue.

Doubtful:
Rupp - tight after the game Vs Middlesbrough.
Buendia - took a knock to his foot in game Vs. Middlesbrough.

So on that basis we have three actual injuries right now caused by incidents/tackles in games in Buendia, Hugill and Dowell. We then have injuries sustained during games or the warm up to them which amounts to McClean, Quintilla and possibly Idah as well as Rupp.

So out of the 11 players there, at least 6 were due to match day issues rather than training. There is an argument that the knees could be due to load, but in my experience they are more to do with turning, sometimes really innocuously which it sounds like with Mumba. I had a team mate in 11 a side Sunday league make do both his anterior and medial ligaments in one go in the most gentlest of turns away from the ball and not close to a player.

Hips I don't have a lot of experience with really. But either way it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. A fair few pundits and ex pro's are saying that the goals we score late in games are evidence that the squad is kept in tip top condition fitness wise. So arguably if they're not, we perhaps don't get those late goals and win those games.

Byram's injury was  during a game - if you remember he did his hamstring stretching for a bouncing ball in the home game against Liverpool last season.

Thomas Dickson-Peters could maybe make the bench. With Omoteye currently injured thought maybe he wouldve been involved in the u23s game today.

Would any other u23s who were involved today be included on the bench. 

Mcalear I assume will be back on the bench as he wasnt included today.

The Belgium left back Nizet who scored 2 vs Newcastle today.

Hondermark who seems to have impressed in midfield for the u23s.

Or Dennis who plays on the wing where we are currently lacking numbers.

Need to actually take our chances and get a couple of goals ahead occasionally do we can take Pukki off and not flog him for 95 minutes every game. 

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Byram's injury was  during a game - if you remember he did his hamstring stretching for a bouncing ball in the home game against Liverpool last season.

And Idahs was in a match, just not playing for city. 

I do wonder about how bad some of the injuries are.

I don't doubt they are injuries. I just wonder how bad they are to prevent them from playing. 

i am not harping on about the good old days etc but many did continue to play with a bit of a knock or two and had operations in the close season.

Could Todd play until.other were 100%?

The modern game and the equipment to assess injuries as well as the size of squads has meant players can have a game or two off. In dire times, could some be patched up for a game or two? Even it was to sit on the bench.

Poor old Teemu has been playing just about every other day recently and can't afford to get injured.

F4DEC0BA-7B24-4F46-A5AF-C87A98BDDF1C.thumb.jpeg.b58019d9157f6a579273bed2c9caeefe.jpegWe will find a way and we will do this. We’re f@&£ing Norwich and this is our league and we tax those who occupy our league in points on the league table.

• Haha 1

Tomorrow night is probably not the game for Nizet but can see him starting on Saturday allowing Sorensen to push into centre midfield.

Tomorrow 

Krul 

Aaron's Hanley Gibson Sorensen 

Tettey Skipp

Martin Vrancic Placheta

Pukki

Subs

McGovern Zimmerman McAlear Nizet Rupp Stieperman Dickson-Peters Barden Dennis

Saturday

Krul

Zimmerman Hanley Gibson 

Aarons Rupp Skipp Sorensen

Martin  Placheta

Pukki

Subs

McGovern  Barden McAlear Tettey Nizet Dickson-Peters Stieperman Vrancic Dennis

Having watched Coventry a few times I don't think they have anything wide to worry us so would go 3 at the back. Could possibly play Nizet on the left of the 4 and gice Sorensen a rest. Still competitive and DF wouldn't have bought the yoof if he didn't think they were capable. After all he gave Aaron's Godfrey and Lewis starts at same age

46 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Tomorrow night is probably not the game for Nizet but can see him starting on Saturday allowing Sorensen to push into centre midfield.

Tomorrow 

Krul 

Tettey Skipp

Martin Vrancic Placheta

Pukki

Subs

Saturday

Krul

Zimmerman Hanley Gibson 

Martin  Placheta

Pukki

Subs

Having watched Coventry a few times I don't think they have anything wide to worry us so would go 3 at the back. Could possibly play Nizet on the left of the 4 and gice Sorensen a rest. Still competitive and DF wouldn't have bought the yoof if he didn't think they were capable. After all he gave Aaron's Godfrey and Lewis starts at same age

Why would you not play Buendia?

57 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Tomorrow 

Krul 

Tettey Skipp

Martin Vrancic Placheta

Pukki

Subs

Saturday

Krul

Zimmerman Hanley Gibson 

Martin  Placheta

Pukki

Subs

I can't imagine that anyone who played for the U23s in Norwich today will be travelling all the way to Stoke and back just to make up numbers on the bench. McAlear and Dickson-Peters will be on the bench, along with Barden, McGovern, Vrancic, Rupp (even if he's not fit), Martin and Zimbo. Same starting XI as Saturday, just with Tettey in for Rupp.

No insider knowledge here, just my hunch.

So in the worst case scenario of a Pukki injury, with Idah and Hugill also out, who would deputise up front? Stieperman, I guess?

1 hour ago, Grando said:

So in the worst case scenario of a Pukki injury, with Idah and Hugill also out, who would deputise up front? Stieperman, I guess?

Placheta I would guess.

6 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Why would you not play Buendia?

My God what a tool I am. So many names in the squad I miss out the most important.

Of course EMI should start.....always.

Give him that roaming no 10 role and let him run the show.

7 hours ago, Grando said:

I'd rather see one of the AMs playing as more of a false nine. Josh Martin might be able to do it. Failing that, I guess The Marco Stiepermann Experience™ would thresh around up there like a giraffe on a unicycle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just read Farke's comments regarding recalling Drmic and Leitner to the squad. With particular regard to Drmic on the present situation, without quoting what he said, salient points are that he believed in Drmic as a player and in his ability, but decided to go down a different route. Ok so far. And it is said there's nothing stopping him being registered with the EFL. So Drmic is getting paid a decent sum for doing naff all, not Drmic's decision so why won't Farke make him earn his wages in a time of crisis, whether he is in long term plans or not? Surely a case of needs must?

19 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Just read Farke's comments regarding recalling Drmic and Leitner to the squad. With particular regard to Drmic on the present situation, without quoting what he said, salient points are that he believed in Drmic as a player and in his ability, but decided to go down a different route. Ok so far. And it is said there's nothing stopping him being registered with the EFL. So Drmic is getting paid a decent sum for doing naff all, not Drmic's decision so why won't Farke make him earn his wages in a time of crisis, whether he is in long term plans or not? Surely a case of needs must?

What he said is that Drmic hasn't even met a lot of the new players, and would take a few weeks in training before he's ready to feature in the team. By the time he's ready, Hugill could be back from injury. Should Hugill's injury require surgery (or, god forbid, Pukki gets injured), he would then revisit the situation.

Could do worse than sign Holty back up on a three month deal! He’d probably cause teams more problems than Hugill has so far. 

38 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Could do worse than sign Holty back up on a three month deal! He’d probably cause teams more problems than Hugill has so far. 

Yes - Holt if fit would be a good option.

Farke should start thinking outside the box rather than just praying that Pukki doesn't get injured.

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

unironically would love to see Holt play in the yellow and green for us again. Sure he's almost 40 but he can't do that bad right?

48 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Yes - Holt if fit would be a good option.

Farke should start thinking outside the box rather than just praying that Pukki doesn't get injured.

Has everyone gone mad due to lockdown?

• Like 2