Sign in to follow this  
pete

If Hugill and Cantwell miss stoke

We will need to put 2 English academy players on the bench to have 8 English qualified players in the squad.  There are 6 qualified 5 in the first team and 2 were on the bench yesterday.  Down to the single striker have to recruit from U23's, Tyrese O U17 plays in U23's as long as he is English is an obvious choice as one.  The other two one should really be a FB if at all possible, McAlear on bench yesterday may be FB but not named in first 5 as a defender in latest U 23 squad.  Barden named in squad as 3rd choice keeper may keep his place.

If Cantwell had been named as one of the 9 yesterday the criticism aimed at him could have been avoided.  With nine on the bench you can put in a player or two you have no intention of playing.  Farke might like to play these games to protect his players and not look silly post press conference.

Truly in an injury crisis Rupp hamstring causing problems if fails to make it and Kenny replaces might have 4 experienced players on bench McGovern, Tettey, Zimmermann and Martin, meaning 5 academy to make up the numbers.  Farkes championing 5 subs is starting to look rather ridiculous, was perfectly happy with 3 subs was working well, this is now embarrasing highlighting the deficiencies of the squad sending out so many on loan.       

Just hope we can survive to Jan with the 15 man first team squad or injuries to Hugill, Rupp and Cantwell are not of the 10 week duration and are minor.

The players don't have to be English, but trained in England, such as Omotoye who is Belgian but has been here for a few years.

I'm not sure what the rule is regarding the number of homegrown subs with the new rules, but I'm guessing you can leave an empty space if you can't name the full quota?

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The players don't have to be English, but trained in England, such as Omotoye who is Belgian but has been here for a few years.

I'm not sure what the rule is regarding the number of homegrown subs with the new rules, but I'm guessing you can leave an empty space if you can't name the full quota?

Omotoye was born in England - he is a dual national. But yes, don’t need English players to meet the homegrown rule. 

Seems they haven’t changed the homegrown rule to match the subs rule, so it is the same number of homegrown players required, but now out of 20 rather than 18. I don’t believe you can leave a space on the bench in lieu of a player. 

We had 8 homegrown on Saturday-Krul, Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Skipp, Hugill, Martin and Barden-don’t know if McAlear counts as he is Scottish but he has been with us since June 2019 so do they qualify after 1 year if they're under 18 when they sign?