1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'm not saying it brings a smile to my face to see them rock bottom of the table and losing yet another match...

but

it is rather amusing

31 minutes ago, sonyc said:

....."at least to knock in the odd goal" - that is so true. Imagine having to rely on McGoldrick or even McBurnie for your goals! They've scored 4 in a total of 9 games.

Would that be the Ollie McBurnie whose £20 million signing was an example of the kind of ambition that we should supposedly have been showing?? 😉

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Would that be the Ollie McBurnie whose £20 million signing was an example of the kind of ambition that we should supposedly have been showing?? 😉

That could be the very same player, yes. 🤑👍

1 hour ago, Uncle Fred said:

Why can’t we be Brighton .....Southampton........Portsmouth

Is it 'cos we're in Norfolk and not on the South Coast by any chance ?🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Exactly. A waste of £20m. He is s decent footballer but at that price?

Che Adams at £15m from the Champs was a far better buy. Sheff Utd paid well over the odds for McBurnie.

Now...can anyone tell me that we are not one of THE best value teams in the league, with our acquisitions?

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Che Adams at £15m from the Champs was a far better buy. Sheff Utd paid well over the odds for McBurnie.

Now...can anyone tell me that we are not one of THE best value teams in the league, with our acquisitions?

Well what a waste of money Teemu Pukki and Tim Krul have been!!

Total lack of ambition displayed by the club with these two bargain basement free transfers.

How many times does it have to be said that you get what you pay for in life?  Just look at how £72 million man Nicholas Pepe is tearing up the Premier League for Arsenal! That's ambition for you right there...............................

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
  • Haha 1

They're the kind of club I'd normally have respect for- sizeable, local, passionate working class support, but I've had more unsavoury incidents with them over the years than any other club (including racism). Add to that their general Lambert-esque lack of class in recent years and a fanbase many of whom seem to have a Leeds-like sense of grandeur and importance without much to back it up and I'd love to see them relegated. They're not even the biggest club in their own City.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Makes you wonder if Pukki goes on to get 15+ this season what he will be worth...

4 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

I don't really mind the Blades so much now- we played the role of pantomime villains for each other for a couple of years, and now it feels a little more of a friendly rivalry to me. They've been much the same as the Swansea team of the Lambert-ish era, a Championship side with a well-rehearsed system that nobody can quite work out how to beat- at first. Successful for a little while until the bigger teams unlock them, then the rest, and they return to their comfortable perch as strong Champ/ low Prem perennials.

If we're talking an ideal world, both Leeds and Villa would find their way down- the latter because of the backhanded way they've found their way to a bit of success, and the former because that Lowfields fan is particularly annoying. Unfortunately things aren't looking that kind.

I thought Villa were the most gracious and generous of hosts when we won the Championship.  They were a class act then and don't deserve this criticism. 

• Like 1

Shame for the decent united fans.

All those years out of the PL and they get to see virtually bog all of it at Bramal lane due  to the virus

4 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Sheffield United don't seem to have a huge amount of players to sell, should they be forced to upon relegation.

My thought was more that they will have to sell a fair few to cut their wage bill................irrespective of what each sale raises

Which bring up the question of what is the real benefit of being in the PL for a good number of clubs ? The TV money disappears on transfer fees and wages, and for most it is merely a costly rearguard action trying to avoid relegation.

And when they do fall, far more suffer heavily than clubs like us who have been able to bounce back

Edited by Bill

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

My thought was more that they will have to sell a fair few to cut their wage bill................irrespective of what each sale raises

Which bring up the question of what is the real benefit of being in the PL for a good number of clubs ? The TV money disappears on transfer fees and wages, and for moist it is merely a costly rearguard action trying to avoid relegation.

And when they do fall far more suffer heavily than clubs like us who have been able to bounce back

Indeed. I agree with this. It's all about trying to keep up with the Jones's and of course so often that is becoming increasingly difficult.

Edit: apart from Phil Jones, that is 😆

Edited by sonyc

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Have the Blades been officially relegated today? 

No but just as you were able to prematurely cry "why aren't we Sheffield United " last season, we can prematurely point out how the odds are stacked in favour of us swapping places only a season later. 😊

Not too dissimilar to the preemptive criticism from people including yourself that the club would cash in on all our best players....😉

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Bill said:

Which bring up the question of what is the real benefit of being in the PL for a good number of clubs ? The TV money disappears on transfer fees and wages, and for most it is merely a costly rearguard action trying to avoid relegation.

And when they do fall, far more suffer heavily than clubs like us who have been able to bounce back

I don't think Sheffield United's wage bill would be crippling though. I'd imagine it's nowhere near Bournemouth's from last season. 

Your second and third paragraphs are very true. The best half the clubs can hope is an outside chance at a Wembley day out in the cups, the possibility of Europe one year and the odd win against the 'big six'.

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No but just as you were able to prematurely cry "why aren't we Sheffield United " last season, we can prematurely point out how the odds are stacked in favour of us swapping places only a season later. 😊

Not too dissimilar to the preemptive criticism from people including yourself that the club would cash in on all our best players....😉

Cheeky! We certainly didn’t cash in as I’d guessed and here’s hoping we don’t in January too. The Blades are in a mess right now but there’s some rubbish in and around them. 

It’s a shame we didn’t make a fist of it last season as I truly think we would have kicked on this season. So who’s going down this season from the Premiership? (You can only pick 3 though 😉)

28 minutes ago, jaywick_canery said:

They'll be playing fellow League One big boys Ipswich before long.

Blades v pitchforks

• Like 1

And Chris Wilder was the best thing last year, so all the pundits said, Now look at him and his team

I was definitely getting rather bored of hearing about their ‘overlapping centrebacks’ - but oddly enough they’ve not been getting quite the same mentions this season...

The EPL season is less than a quarter of the way through. It's a bit early to write anyone off; they are 3 points away from safety with 29 games to go......

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Cheeky! We certainly didn’t cash in as I’d guessed and here’s hoping we don’t in January too. The Blades are in a mess right now but there’s some rubbish in and around them. 

It’s a shame we didn’t make a fist of it last season as I truly think we would have kicked on this season. So who’s going down this season from the Premiership? (You can only pick 3 though 😉)

Impossible to predict but I'd agree that this season as much as any is an opportunity for a club our size to do well in the prem so I tend to agree.

I still think Sheffield United, West Brom and Fulham are obvious candidates. It looks like I'm wrong about Villa but I'm still thinking Leeds are going to end up in a relegation scrap.

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

Impossible to predict but I'd agree that this season as much as any is an opportunity for a club our size to do well in the prem so I tend to agree.

I still think Sheffield United, West Brom and Fulham are obvious candidates. It looks like I'm wrong about Villa but I'm still thinking Leeds are going to end up in a relegation scrap.

In general, promoted teams get fewer points in the second half of the season which doesn't bode well for Leeds. 

51 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

In general, promoted teams get fewer points in the second half of the season which doesn't bode well for Leeds. 

Question would be whether Burnley have enough about them to grind out a few results.

On Sheffield U it is fascinating that they appear to have come unstuck so spectacularly. Last year they were media darlings with the famous overlapping CBs, now you wonder where their next win is coming from. What is it? A legacy of the lockdown, loss of momentum from promotion, just been found out?

It does bring into question the myth of becomming an "established Premier Club" if only you invest a bit more. What price £20m strikers these days?

18 hours ago, sonyc said:

Che Adams at £15m from the Champs was a far better buy. Sheff Utd paid well over the odds.

Remember Adams was at the Blunts so his renaissance at Saints is a bit ironic.  Wilder got shot of Adams as he didn't fit his team ethos.  Adams wouldn't join in team building events (**** ups down the boozer) preferring his own company (although rumours about drug use did circulate - rumours partially based on a ban he did receive for social drug use!). All good fun.

Just heard a discussion on the radio re Sheffield Utd. They said they struggled to buy players in the recent transfer window due to their strict policy of £30K per week maximum wage. 

Its way to early to write them off...but you can't see where the goals will come from to get them out of the mire.

They carried momentum into last season and kept it going but that has gone now.

With one point from their first ten games I struggle to see them staying up, but I thought Watford were dead and buried last season and they nearly pulled off a Lazarus routine.

If Sheff Utd do go down I wouldn’t mind taking Berge off their hands. A giant of a midfielder seems to have something about him in the DM/M role. Maybe Tettey could give Farke the full SP on his fellow countryman. He looks class from what I’ve seen of him. 

Nice to see sneering Wilder and Dyche having their noses rubbed in it this season especially if they end up with a worse points total than we had come May.

Plus a lot more debt in Sheffs U's case of course.