Lost again today. Am I the only one who would smile if we swapped places in May? It would be nice if Leeds accompanied them but that maybe is too much to wish forĀ 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 2

I just remember that idiot fan coming on this messageboard from last year. A few of our fans suggested they might be a one year story and that is looking odds on at the moment.

Wonder if Derby's worst ever points total is in danger?

I don't really mind the Blades so much now- we played the role of pantomime villains for each other for a couple of years, and now it feels a little more of a friendly rivalry to me. They've been much the same as the Swansea team of the Lambert-ish era, a Championship side with a well-rehearsed system that nobody can quite work out how to beat- at first. Successful for a little while until the bigger teams unlock them, then the rest, and they return to their comfortable perch as strong Champ/ low Prem perennials.

If we're talking an ideal world, both Leeds and Villa would find their way down- the latter because of the backhanded way they've found their way to a bit of success, and the former because that Lowfields fan is particularly annoying. Unfortunately things aren't looking that kind.

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I just remember that idiot fan coming on this messageboard from last year. A few of our fans suggested they might be a one year story and that is looking odds on at the moment.

Wonder if Derby's worst ever points total is in danger?

Funny how he loved posting here about how awful we are and how wonderful the blades are etc etc both last season and the break before the start of this season yet all of a sudden now he's vanished and stopped posting here

Ā 

Where oh where could he be? Hope he's ok.. šŸ™ƒ

After all the people on here who gave our club stick for not spending as much as Sheffield United, for not having as much ambition as Sheffield United, for not being Sheffield United, I would be more than happy if my prediction from end of last season came true and we swapped places.

• Like 6

Because of the churn the "why aren't we......" model only works through changing teams season after season. The Sheffield Utd wannabes are already looking for a new club. As are those who latched on toĀ Bournemouth, Watford, Stoke, Swansea, Huddersfield and Cardiff.

Edited by nutty nigel

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

After all the people on here who gave our club stick for not spending as much as Sheffield United, for not having as much ambition as Sheffield United, for not being Sheffield United, I would be more than happy if my prediction from end of last season came true and we swapped places.

To be fair Hoggy you did have a few more than 3 teams down for relegation this season. Fulham or West Brom with Leeds, the Blades and and Brighton.Ā 

Just now, Uncle Fred said:

Why canā€™t we be BrightonĀ 

They're just a poor man's Southampton.

Why can't we be Southampton?

I think the bottom of the Premier League is weaker this season than last season. Being honest, we were awful, but Sheffield United, West Brom and Fulham this season are no better. The worst of the rest from last season, Watford, Bournemouth and Villa, were better than the current bottom four.

A lot of people have slated us for not spending last season, including the Sheffield United, Brighton and Leeds fans that came on here as well as Slaven Bilic, but at least one of those clubs will go down this season, probably two.

We stand more chance of being in the Premier League next season than Sheffield United, and probably West Brom too.

19 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Because of the churn the "why aren't we......" model only works through changing teams season after season. The Sheffield Utd wannabes are already looking for a new club. As are those who latched on toĀ Bournemouth, Watford, Stoke, Swansea, Huddersfield and Cardiff.

I love that itā€™s the ā€œwhy arenā€™t we modelā€ now

One of my most successful memes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Their season now is looking worse than ours last year and the answer is simple - serious defensive injuries and not preparing for them.Ā 

Last season only one of their back five missed more than one game.Ā  With a settled defence they were able to have that solid foundation on which they could hold their own.Ā  This season, they have never started with the same five once, and indeed have not had Egan from the start, O'Connell from the third, even Stevens today was carrying a knock.Ā  They have used the loanee Ampadu as cover (this seasons Godfrey) with only an ageing Jagielka to come.Ā  They truly have fell in to the same mire we were in last year.Ā  And on top of that they don't even have a Pukki to at least knock in the odd goal.Ā  It really does look likely that a lowerĀ points haul than Derby is a possibility.

In conclusion they learnt nothing from our predicament last year.Ā  It will be interesting in January if they prepare for a relegation, or gamble and splash the cash.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I love that itā€™s the ā€œwhy arenā€™t we modelā€ now

One of my most successful memes

Where does it sit in your top five?

• Haha 1

They will have the benefit if three years parachute payments rather than our two - but it will likely be a sell off once down

So is their season going to be more enjoyable than ours ?

Perhaps if we win promotion we could turn down the PL invitation to join them

on the basis we prefer to be Daedalus, than Icarus

12 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Their season now is looking worse than ours last year and the answer is simple - serious defensive injuries and not preparing for them.Ā 

Last season only one of their back five missed more than one game.Ā  With a settled defence they were able to have that solid foundation on which they could hold their own.Ā  This season, they have never started with the same five once, and indeed have not had Egan from the start, O'Connell from the third, even Stevens today was carrying a knock.Ā  They have used the loanee Ampadu as cover (this seasons Godfrey) with only an ageing Jagielka to come.Ā  They truly have fell in to the same mire we were in last year.Ā  And on top of that they don't even have a Pukki to at least knock in the odd goal.Ā  It really does look likely that a lowerĀ points haul than Derby is a possibility.

In conclusion they learnt nothing from our predicament last year.Ā  It will be interesting in January if they prepare for a relegation, or gamble and splash the cash.

....."at least to knock in the odd goal" - that is so true. Imagine having to rely on McGoldrick or even McBurnie for your goals! They've scored 4 in a total of 9 games.

37 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

To be fair Hoggy you did have a few more than 3 teams down for relegation this season. Fulham or West Brom with Leeds, the Blades and and Brighton.Ā 

I said there were 4 or 5 obvious relegation contenders in my book and Sheffield were one of the obvious ones. I remember you doubting that.

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

....."at least to knock in the odd goal" - that is so true. Imagine having to rely on McGoldrick or even McBurnie for your goals! They've scored 4 in a total of 9 games.

The Blades become The Blunts.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I said there were 4 or 5 obvious relegation contenders in my book and Sheffield were one of the obvious ones. I remember you doubting that.

Ā 

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

The Blades become The Blunts.

Itā€™s a hard call this season, aĀ very low thirties pointsĀ total could be more than enough.

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

They will have the benefit if three years parachute payments rather than our two - but it will likely be a sell off once down

Sheffield United don't seem to have a huge amount of players to sell, should they be forced to upon relegation.

We had Godfrey, Aarons, Buendia, Lewis and Cantwell that could've all fetched a lot of money.

Bournemouth had Ake, Brooks, King, Wilson and Ramsdale.

Watford had Doucoure, Deulofeu, Sarr, Capoue and Pereyra (plus they got over Ā£20m for Suarez and Estupinan, who had never even played for them).

All three clubs sold two or three of their stars.

Who do Sheffield United have? Brewster and Berge probably have a bit of value, but then who? Ramsdale and McBurnie? They probably wouldn't get what they paid for either of those two.

Ā 

• Like 2

Whilst my dislike of them has dampened slightly, it is rather ironic their defensive situation considering what happened to ours last season. The reason it stands out and puts a little smile on my face is that a certain SheffĀ run twitter stats account seemed to take delight in pointing out how in-effective Pukki was last season whilst refusing to acknowledge that without the strong spine of team and having to play often with a makeshift back four meant that the whole side was seeing their effectiveness nullified.Ā 

Sheffield United comparison. Miserly defence prior to lockdown when they had the second best defence in the league ( only conceding 25 goals from 28 games). Feels like the bottom two, Burnley and Sheffield United are really missing the crowds.

image.thumb.png.1292f4ecf74386edb74e922d07dbeb5f.png

image.png.964bf3bf8391542975b5f0894ea23702.png

This season

image.png.ebbb8849596e8863c68350c9bbab00ad.png