Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Top of the Championship, or bottom of the PL ?

During te close season the club were berated for selling off the family silver, and having no 'hambition'

We were compared to Sheff Utd, who were held up as a shining example of what we should be achieving. Just as Burnley were one of these clubs who had consolidated their position in the PL.

And to rub salt in the wound the West Brom manager castigated us for not spending.... something they would do.

Yet here we are again. Having a high old time of it in the Championship. Winning games regular with the same last minute heroics while watching players come from nowhere to grab their chance.

The enjoyment is back, as is the hope.... and dare I say it, the belief - so you can stuff the PL, as far as I am concerned

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I could agree with being top of the this league being more fun , good players coming through and winning the games.  I would actually be happy like this but my worry would be that at some point Webber and DF will move on and then could we carry on playing and discovering players like we are ? 
If not then it could soon turn sour and money become the big issue again so whilst it’s more fun we are better off in the premiership.

For me the best solution is money spread better of the leagues but that’s never going to happen.

4 minutes ago, Mr Tea said:

I could agree with being top of the this league being more fun , good players coming through and winning the games.  I would actually be happy like this but my worry would be that at some point Webber and DF will move on and then could we carry on playing and discovering players like we are ? 
If not then it could soon turn sour and money become the big issue again so whilst it’s more fun we are better off in the premiership.

For me the best solution is money spread better of the leagues but that’s never going to happen.

Football wise the Championship wins hands down.

I would suggest were Webber/Farke to go we have the infrastructure to continue.

The PL money is a poisoned chalice, with almost all of it going into the playing budget. Which inevitably means a huge wage bill once a club is relegated. And you don't need to look too far to see how many clubs have been torn apart by that

So until your final comment is realised the PL is something we can do without

• Like 1

And 1972.... before either were born

The PL is too damaging for clubs outside the top eight

6 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Not got out of 3rd gear yet and sole favourites now outright. If Norwich do go up let’s hope we’ve worked out how to stay up. 

Said the same thing to my eldest today. The current team you feel would be hammered on most weeks.

Yet you never know. I thought when we went up last time, the way we played we would fit the PL so well. I was so wrong.

Always more fun getting there for me than being there. Whatever you just have to enjoy the 'here and now' in life.

Edited by sonyc

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Said the same thing to my eldest today. The current team you feel would be hammered on most weeks.

Yet you never know. I thought when we went up last time, the way we played we would fit the PL so well. I was so wrong.

Always more fun getting there for me than being there. Whatever you just have to enjoy the 'here and now' in life.

I guess your right, here’s hoping the Euro super league happens and a level playing field occurs. 

• Like 1

If we win the title again, we will be one of only two clubs who have won the second tier 5 times since the war

and it would rather further shove it up the binners with their trophy bleats,

as since the EUFA Cup win they have won the 2nd tier once - three for us and a 3rd tier trophy as well

but they will bleat, they won the FA Youth cup (we have won it twice)

higher finish in the PL, longer in the PL and qualified for Europe more (and the no small matter of the league Cup)

so over the past 4 decades - 7 trophies (8 if you count the play off v Boro) v 2 trophies

54 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

We managed to get promoted in 2011 and again in 2015 without Webber or Farke...

Yep and look at the state it left us in . Massive wage bill which nigh on killed us.

so yes of course there is life after SW and DF .

@Bill is correct  about the prem.

it gives big but you have to pay big because of it . And of course that’s all ok if you have a mega rich owner to then invest above and beyond to move the club forward again. And of then we are back to that old chestnut of being owned by Delia ( who for me are great ) 

It’s a trade off for me. I take my twins to watch and they love to see exciting games. They don’t give a **** about watching Man U and co, they just want exciting games.

what do they say about promotion? The best bit is the season that gives it and not the next one? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Let’s take the Sky money and ask to stay put .

Ha ! That was suggested to me by an old friend who runs a town  team in Norfolk  at the end of 18/19 season. 

4 hours ago, Bill said:

And 1972.... before either were born

The PL is too damaging for clubs outside the top eight

...not the way we do Premier Leagues nowadays!    

4 hours ago, Bill said:

Football wise the Championship wins hands down.

Watched Match of the Day tonight... by the end was left completely deflated.... they’ve ruined our game!!!!