Bill

are we missing Lewis and Godfrey ?

The number of goals conceded would suggest not

What is often forgotten is that their fees represent the years still in them, rather than just a measure of their current ability.

Likewise a hefty fee for Cantwell would not hit the squad that much, and would allow for the likes of Martin and Dowell to progress.

And with those out in loan, and with the likes of Idah, Placheta and Mumba there seems plenty more waiting to progress.

Hanley + Gibson are a far more experienced pair than Godfrey and Lewis. Not to of course play down how well Godfrey and Lewis had of course done for us and all, but there is an obvious age and experience gap.

Still to early to tell IMO, but the signs are we don't miss them I would say

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

We miss Lewis's attacking intent A LOT.

that was being covered by Quintilla

though his injury does raise the question if whether we are pushing our players too hard as we seem to be getting injuries that are not caused by fouls etc - and so we are seeing players out 'unnecessarily'

Hernadez, Quintilla, Dowell, Idah, Mumba

9 minutes ago, Bill said:

that was being covered by Quintilla

though his injury does raise the question if whether we are pushing our players too hard as we seem to be getting injuries that are not caused by fouls etc - and so we are seeing players out 'unnecessarily'

Hernadez, Quintilla, Dowell, Idah, Mumba

Wrong to include him on this list - he was crocked by a nasty foul by a Preston player. 

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Wrong to include him on this list - he was crocked by a nasty foul by a Preston player. 

And Idah was injured on international duty wasn’t he?

It might be worth considering we are in a lower division, hard to compare the championship to the premier league....apple and pears?

• Like 3

We miss Lewis more than Godfrey in this team. Lewis offers natural width and athleticism on the left side that Quintilla doesn't.

We are defending much better as a team than when we were last in this division, but having said that I think Gibson is a much better defender than Godfrey, and is almost as good with the ball. He was once in the England squad - you don't get there without being a decent player. I think we do miss Lewis going forward.

9 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

oops 😦

We appear to be coping well enough. Its a bit harsh on Godfrey though who had to partner Tettey and Amadou at points last season.

Gibson looks a fantastic replacement though, hope we sign him even if we don't go up.

As for Lewis, we miss that outlet on the left but seem to be coping well enough and finding a way anyway. We would probably need to look at left backs again if we went up though

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

And Idah was injured on international duty wasn’t he?

that being my point

playing unnecessary mickey mouse games adds to the strain on the legs

go back a couple if decades where football was played on much more stressful heavy pitches, yet we did not get this level of injuries

my thought is that the game is being played at such a hectic pace that players are being pushed far more intensely to achieve far higher levels of fitness, which is causing the injuries

Edited by Bill

We certainly haven’t had too many clean sheets over the last few seasons, so conceding only 8 goals in the first 12 games with 5 of them (3 on the trot), is definitely pleasing. Whether it is coming from a more solid m/f or what, I don’t really care.

Edited by Branston Pickle

If we’re missing Lewis, a big part of that has to be because Quintilla is out at the moment. I think so far he’s not a significant improvement defensively on Lewis, possibly not as good. But he does look good going forward and he adds a lot with his corners and free kicks.

• Like 1

I've been so impressed with young Sorensen. He isn't even a left back but he has settled very well. Results demonstrate it. Bet he never thought he would end up playing there. Fair play to him. He looks very composed in an obviously false position for him.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I've been so impressed with young Sorensen. He isn't even a left back but he has settled very well. Results demonstrate it. Bet he never thought he would end up playing there. Fair play to him. He looks very composed in an obviously false position for him.

Agree with this completely - his composure really stands out - will be a fantastic asset when he's playing in his more preferred central midfield position - or in central defence where he can also play too. 

• Like 1

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

Agree with this completely - his composure really stands out - will be a fantastic asset when he's playing in his more preferred central midfield position - or in central defence where he can also play too. 

Spot on. He appears often to find his player. Looks like he just has that half second longer in making his pass. Indeed he even seems to be growing into the position and made a couple of left footed passes today.

No. Although out injured at the moment, I think Quintilla has certainly filled in the role of Lewis - made some great crosses. Gibson has also done some great defending (ok, conceded a spot kick today). Although they’re only supposed to be available for signing if we go back up, I think it would be great if we could sign them as they would be great replacements - Quintilla already has a bit of La Liga experience and am I right in thinking a few Europa League games? I know Gibson hadn’t played any games since last January before signing on loan to us but he’s also done some great defending (ok, conceded a penalty today), he’s also well experienced - was ever present in Boro’s last PL season

As for what people have said about Sorensen, I’ve also been very impressed by his performance - thrown in as an emergency LB when his primary position is DM or emergency CB. Hopefully he’ll do really well when he gets a chance to play in his primary position.

As said. I don;t think Godfey and Lewis would have been better than Gibson and Quintilla - its just they have 'fewer miles on the clock'

Something fans need to understand, so as not too over excite themselves so much as they did in the summer.

Krul is probably a better keeper at the moment than Angus Gunn, but the latter would certainly fetch a far higher fee for the above reason. Much as I would rate Pukki over Cantwell, but the same 'rule' would apply.

So when a promising youngster move to bigger clubs then that is not failure on our part, but a recognition of how well the scouting and coaching system has delivered. And as long as we can continue to find and develop players like Buendia, Placheta. Martin and Sorensen for relative peanuts then the future is secure.

And with the number of promising young players we have out on loan I would suggest that looks well in place. So if we have to fill in with incoming loans so be it, as stated they do not appear to be any worse than those who have left - and we are a good few million up, so as to continue to develop young players.

ie what we are doing is working extremely well

• Like 2

I said it before we sold them that our defensive issues were largely caused by the midfield. We are defending better as a unit, albeit against a lower standard of opposition. I don't, however, think we've noticeably decreased in ability in defensive areas.

For me, Gibson has been outstanding, he's an experienced operator with premier league pedigree and was always going to improve us. As such we haven't missed Godfrey at all, especially as Hanley has gone from strength to strength from a run in the side. 

I think we are missing Lewis more because we are relying on Aarons as the wide outlet. Sorensen is doing a great job defensively but he isn't going to create as a wide left player. I expect us to look to sign a player in the left back position in January. 

Rupp has also helped us dramatically from a defensive point of view. Tenacious and strong. And the goalkeeper has never played better. 

If we start to bang in a few more goals this really could be a fine season. At the moment I think Placheta is struggling a little, as is to be expected. I'm sure that Onel would have been starting most of the games at the moment but for his injury. Placheta is very raw but with his express pace, there is tremendous scope for improvement as he learns where to make his runs etc. He's already in Poland's starting lineup which says a lot for his potential but he's not quite on the same wavelength as Emi, Stiepi and Pukki right now. 

What has been said about our recruitment of young talent is spot on, and I think has been understated. We are building a cash cow with all of these young players and it will serve us tremendously well, both on and off the pitch, for years to come. As soon as we lose Godfrey and Lewis, you see Martin, Idah coming through. It's a conveyor belt that the management of the club should be very, very proud of developing. 

• Like 2

Absolutely not , the league table does not lie all over rated badgers in my opinion, quintilla Sorenson and Gibson all an upgrade in my opinion otbc

For goodness sake. We are in the Championship now and that's the reason we look better defensively. The standard of this division seems to get lower every year and the gap between Championship and Premier League just keeps getting bigger. We have been nowhere near our best and yet we're top and the other relegated teams are also doing well. So poor is the standard that we could probably put out a second eleven which would survive. So of course we look better defensively. The opposition is average at best. 

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

For goodness sake. We are in the Championship now and that's the reason we look better defensively. The standard of this division seems to get lower every year and the gap between Championship and Premier League just keeps getting bigger. We have been nowhere near our best and yet we're top and the other relegated teams are also doing well. So poor is the standard that we could probably put out a second eleven which would survive. So of course we look better defensively. The opposition is average at best. 

We put out a second XI against Luton in the league cup, didn't do too well then