Sign in to follow this  
Pugin

Monumental display from Grant Hanley

Been briliiant for the last few games. I'm a Hanley critic, but can't argue with the performances he's been putting in - him and Gibson look far more solid than anything we've had for years.

• Like 1

Now he's had a consistent run of games and shaken off his rust, we're seeing the defender he is. Old-school. Chucks head onto anything, and his body in the way of anything.

He's got a nice turn of pace over fifteen yards as well. People underestimate that about him.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm used to him winning everything in the air but on the ground he was fantastic at using his strength to get infront of boro players whilst also showing his acceleration over short distances to mop up things in behind. MOTM

He was superb and has been consistent for a while. Back 7 in this team starting to take shape - Sorensen is still doing as well as can be expected at full-back. This does enable our front players to win games for us.

When you think we have Hernandez, Dowell and Cantwell who have hardly kicked a ball to come back and give us some strength in depth then that is really positive. 

50 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

So much for those saying we couldn't defend.

Especially last season when some were saying he was "at best a League 1 defender", I kid you not.

He's always been a solid player, just injuries have plagued him for the last couple of seasons.

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Especially last season when some were saying he was "at best a League 1 defender", I kid you not.

He's always been a solid player, just injuries have plagued him for the last couple of seasons.

Like many players in recent times, he's always been a very good Championship player but just a little bit too limited for the Premier League.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Now he's had a consistent run of games and shaken off his rust, we're seeing the defender he is. Old-school. Chucks head onto anything, and his body in the way of anything.

He's got a nice turn of pace over fifteen yards as well. People underestimate that about him.

Which typifies the spirit in the squad

One that has taken us to the top

The title is ours to lose now - if we battle like we did today we'll be there or thereabouts come May

MOM Hanley

Certainly was man of the match and has been solid, great to have three fit good CB’s to keep the competition going.

Thought young Sorensen was tested a bit more but still didn’t look out of place.

Great result against tough opposition.

When he's fully fit he's a very solid and strong defender at this level who gets stuck in where it hurts which is basic requirement in the Champs. He was excellent when he came in those last few games before lockdown last season, its just a shame that he seems to be made of glass.

3 minutes ago, Spillay said:

When he's fully fit he's a very solid and strong defender at this level who gets stuck in where it hurts which is basic requirement in the Champs. He was excellent when he came in those last few games before lockdown last season, its just a shame that he seems to be made of glass.

I'm not so sure he's made of glass, more he really does hurl himself at absolutely everything.

Big man today. Proper leadership. Just what this team needs. Skipp also was at his terrier best. Boro midfield gave us very little room but he more than made his mark. That result was ground out with these two especially (with Max too being more adventurous as well).

I’ve been saying for ages that he’s our best CB and that includes when Godfrey was here.

He was outstanding today and a clear motm. No doubt in my mind that Rupp & Skipp are playing a big part in the clean sheets as is Krull. Long may it continue because if it does we are going to take some catching. 🙃

• Like 1

He’s never really been in my good books before, probably due to his lack of game time (often out injured), but I have to admit his performances recently have been outstanding - MOM today. Hopefully he’ll get a bit more game time this season though and make use of himself as a captain as I’ve never really understood why he was selected as the skipper when he’s so injury prone.

Anyway, we’ve been granted promotion in the past with another Grant H as the captain, hopefully this Grant H can also grant us promotion.....👀 (ok I know Hanley was captain in our title winning season, but I think he only played 6 games)

OTBC

He was our best defender in that short spell before lockdown in the premier league. Added to that, he excelled in the first season after we'd bought him. He suffered with injuries in the championship winning season. Clearly isn't the graceful modern centre back but he's pretty damn solid when he gets a run of games! 

Nice to hear the positives for GH, at the start of last season he was being crucified by a lot of people despite playing with injuries and the step up in quality. It may be the case that he is not a Premiership standard CB but at this level he's a leader, something we're going to need if we want to get back to the Premiership. We may have to look elsewhere if we do go up but for now he's playing well, setting an example and is very much part of that mean defence in front of TK.... Long may it continue. 

5 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'm not so sure he's made of glass, more he really does hurl himself at absolutely everything.

The amount of time he is out injured suggests otherwise sadly. I just hope he can have a good run of games now, we're running out of options at both ends of the pitch