Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

George Burley IS STILL BETTER than Worthy

OK, here I go again!. Did anyone see ''Goals on Sunday'' on Sky TV this week?. There was our Nigel with the brilliant George Burley sitting next to him, discussing the finer points of the beautiful game.

And I''m sorry fellow City fans, but GB left NW standing. Now please don''t get me wrong, Worthington has done very well so far, but sometimes his team selection and tatics can leaves us all a bit confused, ie Watford.

If I could ask Santa for an extra pressie this yuletide, it would have to be GB as the City Manager. I''m sorry if this upsets you lot, but I really do believe he IS the man to lead us back too the promised land. And I guarantee you, Hucks would be staying, and Rivers would be just a bad memory!.

''Have you seen where Derby are ?'' I hear you say, and ''what happened to the the boys in blue ?'' Yes I have, and did you see George''s superior tactics play us off the park just recently ?, (Come on admit it, we were lucky) just think what GB could do with a City team defending the lead. Oh, if wishes could only come true!.

Jingle bells. Jingle bells.............

You know how I feel about this little gem Wiz, but the most important thing as far as I can see is IF IT AIN''T BROKE DON''T FIX IT!!!!

GB may be that little bit more tactically astute than our Nige, but as far as passion and comittment are concerned we would lose out. What I''m saying is, at this level you can''t have it all - with GB you get more tactical awareness, but under NW we would never lie down and die like Ips***h did and Derby have so far. I''m happy so far, and would seriously object to changing the man in charge.

Have to say I agree with Mook. I know worthy somtimes makes some questionable decisions but more often than not he makes some damn good ones.

We are COMPLETLEY unrecognisable from the days of Hamilton, and I don''t think we would be any further under GB than Worthy.

Fair point as usual, Mook. But if we don''t end up with any of the loanees, then I belive the question regarding Worthington as manager, may be taken out of the supporters hands, because NW may well go, and who could blame him!.

And then..........................

I think if we forget our Anti Ipswich attitude for a nano second and compare George with Nigel, you would have to say that GB is the better manager in most areas.NW may have the edge Getting the most out of the players physically but then if you gave Saddam Hussein a big stick he could get even more out of them, we would probably be in Div 3 within 2 years, but at least some people would be happy that under Saddam we were getting 101% out of the players!!

A few years ago, our players were slack, spineless whimps. I would shout myself hoarse trying to get Llewellyn, Forbes, Sutch, Coote etc to get STUCK IN. I don''t care whether GB can play a 3-5-2 with wingbacks and a free-role striker, passion and pride count for a lot more when the going gets tough. And I watched Ips**** cave in so many times in their relegation season that I will never trust GB to motivate. Every manager has their faults, Wenger for discipline, Ferguson for his arrogance (I bought Lauren Blanc and Barthez so they MUST be good!) the list goes on.

Let''s concentrate on the good things.

And I really don''t think NW will go anywhere if we lose the loanees. He knew the score when we got them in, and he is trying to use them as a lesson for our players and a motivation. We have more points than we would have got, obviously he would love to keep them but he knows the deal.

And would people please stop this "Hucks wants to stay, he said so himself" thing?!?!?

He''s not going to say "Oh, it''s rubbish here, can''t wait to get back to City" is he? And even if he wants to stay, it doesn''t mean anything! I WANT to go on a date with Britney Spears, but that doesn''t mean she''s going to give me a call in a minute and tell me she''ll meet me in Pizza Hut at eight! Oh, hang on, my mobile''s ringing....

Lets hear it for Mook - reason AND humour! Get back in your box wizard, we''re going top tonight (ok, we''ll probably blow the chance again) but if ever there was someone who embodied the impossible to please football fan it''s you!
Worthy is the first manager since MW mk1 who has allowed us to hold our heads high as NCFC supporters and for now, i''m happy with that and the way he has us playing and the personnel he has at the club. You''re entitled not to be, but you''re ploughing a very lone furrow!

Just jumped out of my box AI, to say there was nothing wrong with MW mk2 either, if he''d been given as much time as Nigel, who knows?. Oh, the dream team replaced him, more a damn nightmare like!. getting rid of MW mk2 stank, and you know it, the team had just started banging in the goals. (I saw 10 in two home games!) This was a period in the clubs history which was unsavory, in my opion, and I still find it hard to forgive them for that.

So with one voice I cry, Bring back Mike Walker, OK, A1. Where''s my plough?...............

Well said Mook. As I said pre season this was the year the NW had to prove himself - the excuses about inherited squad had gone and it was make or break as to whether he could take the team to another level.

NW is still learning but has proved this season that he is learnining from his mistakes - last season there were tactical blunders and bizzare substitutions every other game. Now, when he includes Easton, we question him for the first time in 9 plus weeks - that has to be progress.

In addition he has proved that he can cope with star players and utilise them well - it is to his and the coaching staff credit that we have actually seen Hucks & Crouches ability by ensuring the melded into our team so well - many star loan signings disappoint and have nowhere near the impact this pair have had.

Also he has shown me that he can vary the play from just the long ball game that I feared was here to stay. There is a place for the long ball game but only when mixed with a passing approach - we seem to be getting better at this now we have a better class of player.

Finally NW is a winning manager - given the recent drivel we have had in leadership this is a much under-rated attribute - carry on NW.

Now that we have a improving manager who has shown he can work within a budget, be ruthless when required and motivate players it is time for the board to support him by giving him the tools needed to deliver promotion - ie the quality of player at Crouch and Hucks level & not current div 3.

Never mind the danger.

ok ok, i''m not going to get in to a debate about mike walker, that wasn''t my point. i didn''t agree with his sacking either and i suppose if he was good the first time there''s no reason why he couldn''t have been the second time. but that''s long in the past and my point was that this is the best period since the first MW era.
the 10 in two home games - you''re testing my general knowledge here but i''ll go for swindon and huddersfield, 95/6 (or the year after). am i right? and amongst the scorers then - erik the viking fugelstaad!!! Now there was a questionable signing if ever i saw one! NW (and his staff) has a better eye for a player than most of our recent managers, even if he hasn''t been right every time.

Random people Wiz has touted as being better than whoever is currently in charge. Number 136:- George Burley.Worthy led NCFC to 94 points and promotion shortly afterwards.

[quote user="Mungo Lloyd"]Random people Wiz has touted as being better than whoever is currently in charge. Number 136:- George Burley.

Worthy led NCFC to 94 points and promotion shortly afterwards.

[/quote]

Many thanks Mungo for proving that I was posting way back in 2003, and wow, check the post count! (how I wish those stats could be transfered to my present account Pete)

I owe you one Mungo.[Y]

I think we''re all indebted to Mungo for reminding us that you promised to stop posting at 19,000. How did that go?

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

I think we''re all indebted to Mungo for reminding us that you promised to stop posting at 19,000. How did that go?

[/quote]

1. Did I?

2. Have a wild guess

[quote user="Ginja"]Do we really have to bump the entire thread? surely a link will suffice...[/quote]Think about it... Where could this link have been posted? [:)]10 years, 20,000 posts and the message is the same it''s only the names that have changed."Anyone is better than whoever we''ve got"

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

1. Did I?

2. Have a wild guess

[/quote]

1. Yes

2. Tonights Euromillions numbers will be 1,2,3,4,5 8&9.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

1. Did I?

2. Have a wild guess

[/quote]

1. Yes

2. Tonights Euromillions numbers will be 1,2,3,4,5 8&9.

[/quote]

As if I jack this site in and give some posters that satisfaction.[;)]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="TCCANARY"]I think we''re all indebted to Mungo for reminding us that you promised to stop posting at 19,000. How did that go?[/quote]Did I?[/quote]Yes[/quote]As if I jack this site in and give some posters that satisfaction.[;)][/quote]But that is exactly what you did Wiz when you got your original account quashed. [:O]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]And what village would be complete without an idiot?

[/quote]

Oh my..............so orignal.[:S]

[quote user="im spartacus"]i missed you when you stopped posting on footy mad wiz [:D]
[/quote]

I lost/forgotten my logins spartacus and that site doesn''t let you use a newer email addy, I think.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]And what village would be complete without an idiot?[/quote]

Oh my..............so orignal.[:S]

[/quote]Can you lip read?

[quote user="im spartacus"]i missed you when you stopped posting on footy mad wiz [:D]
[/quote]

I have re-registered spartacus so I might well pop in more now....

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Is he not in a home yet? ruined my day, lets hope the winter gets him hey[/quote]

If it does get me fella you''re the first bugger I''m coming back to haunt.[:D]