Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Middlesbrough match thread

2 minutes ago, kirku said:

All Boro so far. We've had very little control of the ball or offered much threat in the final third.

Starting to look more like that as the game goes on. 

Hopefully Pukki will come on at some point. We look a different team with Hugill up top

How long are Dowell and Hernandez out injured? I want to see both of those in the side.

Given up on us ever seeing Cantwell. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 minute ago, kirku said:

Hopefully Pukki will come on at some point. We look a different team with Hugill up top

Akpom cost Middlesbrough the same in the summer, £2.7m, looks a good player. 

33 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I'd put protecting a player above fans curiosity.

That ⬆️. In spades. 

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Akpom cost Middlesbrough the same in the summer, £2.7m, looks a good player. 

Funnily enough, more of a Webber signing than Hugill. Somewhat lost his way but seemed to have good potential. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

How long are Dowell and Hernandez out injured? I want to see both of those in the side.

Given up on us ever seeing Cantwell. 

My understanding was that we wouldn't see them before the turn of the year. And now Idah as well. Frustrating.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Starting to look more like that as the game goes on. 

Agreed. But overall we have had 58% of the possession but half the number of dangerous attacks.

Our main issue, Hugill's control aside has been that Rupp and Stiepermann have just not found their game. Pukki and a midfield change for me for some time very soon in the second half.

It's been hard to get out of second gear.

1 minute ago, kirku said:

Funnily enough, more of a Webber signing than Hugill. Somewhat lost his way but seemed to have good potential. 

I've got a lot of respect for young English players who go overseas to get the football they need... Akpom left Arsenal and went and played a couple of seasons in Greece. won the League and Cup double! 

I do understand if we felt we couldn't afford Toney (although what a bargain he was for Brentford!) but discounting Toney and I think Middlesbrough have got the bargain of the season up front. 

Need to remain focussed we all know we don’t start really playing until 88 minutes let’s just keep this going and take our chance when we get it

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

That ⬆️. In spades. 

Protecting him from what exactly because yesterday's comment from Farke has surely hung him out to dry ?

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And now Hugill is clearly injured too

No he's  not injured - it's just the way he plays !

3 minutes ago, kirku said:

My understanding was that we wouldn't see them before the turn of the year. And now Idah as well. Frustrating.

I don't think Idah is ready anyway, although of course would be handy to have him fit if Hugill is now out of action!

But Placheta seems reluctant to run at defenders, still needs to grow in confidence, and there's been a few times when that's been called for today. Hugill got more chance of service if somebody can get past a full back and whip a cross in, Placheta did that late in the half but a fair bit of passing backwards from him. 

That 45 mins just underlines how good and vital Pukki is. A worry that we have no viable alternative until Jan at the earliest.

Just now, Clint said:

That 45 mins just underlines how good and vital Pukki is. A worry that we have no viable alternative until Jan at the earliest.

Indeed, much as people can try and slate Pukki for not getting as many as he used to he's still easily one of the best players when it comes to making runs and reading the game, often making runs before a player has even passed it- Nevermind his tracking back and defensive habbits too

And we don't really have any other strikers that do that kind of work