Uncle Fred

Middlesbrough game will define our season

Warnock has did his usual job and made boro very hard to beat

if we win tomorrow and our injury crisis doesn’t get any worse I think we will be on for a promising season, it is really a barometer game for us ie can we break down the best organised defence in the league away from home

If we don’t I think there will be question marks about the campaign, every season you look back and see that as a pivotal game, I think that game is tonorrow

23 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Warnock has did his usual job and made boro very hard to beat

if we win tomorrow and our injury crisis doesn’t get any worse I think we will be on for a promising season, it is really a barometer game for us ie can we break down the best organised defence in the league away from home

If we don’t I think there will be question marks about the campaign, every season you look back and see that as a pivotal game, I think that game is tonorrow

To be fair, if there’s one defence which would be the most ‘acceptable’ not to break down then it would be Boro’s, so if we say draw away against them I don’t think that will define the season, and for many a City supporter a point and keeping our unbeaten record intact would be a pretty good result. I guess we all have a game though where we think ‘there’s the turning point’ - mine I would have said Bristol City, but actually I think it was Swansea, the best team we have faced I feel. We look in good shape - it’d take a tremendous drop in form now to see us finish outside the top 6 and really, if anything, we definitely have a higher gear to go to which we’ve not seen yet. Still have this feeling we’re going to win the title though, yellow and green tinted specs perhaps, but I just think overall we really do have the most to offer on our day.

• Like 1

I also see Boro away as a key game; a draw against them would be credible. However, a convincing win could represent the gear-change in performance most of us are hoping to see. 

31 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

I also see Boro away as a key game; a draw against them would be credible. However, a convincing win could represent the gear-change in performance most of us are hoping to see. 

Can't really argue too much about a getting an away draw in this leauge regardless of who we are playing 

17 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

Breaking boro really is a statement and by 3 or 4 would send shivers down the spin of other teams 

Yes it would be a statement, as you say, they are hard to beat. 

Given that you say that, I don't think this other comment you made can be true. 

18 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

If we don’t [win] I think there will be question marks about the campaign, every season you look back and see that as a pivotal game, I think that game is tonorrow

It won't define our season, but two years ago a game at the Carra against Middlesborough changed and arguably defined our season. For me the glorious 2018-9 season turned on a paper-thin 1-0 win over Boro thanks to a 58th minute goal from Pukki. The goal came just when it seemed that he would never work our way through an organised Tony Pulis' defence.

That was the day when for me Daniel Farke's tactical planning finally came to fruition, and the results started to flow. The result only put us up to 16th, but it was champagne and oysters from then on, right through till the end of the Championship-winning season.

It was the game after the 1-1 draw at Portman Road, so it quite a defining game for Farke. We could easily have lost at Ipswich, and who's to say that Daniel would have survived a defeat. He was in need of vindication, and the Middlesborough win provided it.

Leading into the game, Teemu had scored two winners for Finland in two Nations League games during the international break. I bet that win be in Daniel's mind when he selects his team today 🙂

Edited by Pugin

50 minutes ago, Banjoman said:

Yes it would be a statement, as you say, they are hard to beat. 

Given that you say that, I don't think this other comment you made can be true. 

Aren't boro on a 10 game long unbeaten run right now? Although admittedly they have only scored 9 goals in those matches- But then again that statistically evens out to one expected goal scored per match ratio for them

All in all If I was a betting man I would be hedging my bets on a draw

I'm guessing a 1-1.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I seem to recall similar sentiments expressed about the Swansea game.

Each team in this league is capable of presenting problems of their own, whether it be a bus park from some of the lesser units or an attacking threat from the likes of Swansea and (in anticipation) Watford, or even a piece of brilliance of the kind we experienced from Rooney.

It's a long season and I am not inclined to define it just yet, except to say that we deserve to be, are and will be amongst the front- runners. 

'Boro may or may not be there too but could well fade once the Warnock effect finally wears off. 

It usually does as his managerial history suggests:-

1980–1981 Gainsborough Trinity
1981–1986 Burton Albion
1986–1989 Scarborough
1989–1993 Notts County
1993 Torquay United
1993–1995 Huddersfield Town
1995–1997 Plymouth Argyle
1997–1998 Oldham Athletic
1998–1999 Bury
1999–2007 Sheffield United
2007–2010 Crystal Palace
2010–2012 Queens Park Rangers
2012–2013 Leeds United
2014 Crystal Palace
2015 Queens Park Rangers (caretaker)
2016 Rotherham United
2016–2019 Cardiff City
2020– Middlesbrough
Edited by BroadstairsR

It don't think it will define us. I don't think we have clicked yet. I think Rupp and Skipp have done a good job in that area and the three in front of them have enjoyed plenty of ball. Once that three is established and start scoring as well, we could be favourites.

As I have said before Bournemouth and Watford fans are saying exactly the same thing about their own teams. They have not clicked or have another gear to go. It's very difficult to look good in this league but as long as we are clinical and fight for the wins we will be there or there abouts. Today will be exactly the same a bit of a fight and take the few chances that come your way. I don't think any game in this decision is defining as they are all winnable and losable. 

29 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

As I have said before Bournemouth and Watford fans are saying exactly the same thing about their own teams. They have not clicked or have another gear to go. It's very difficult to look good in this league but as long as we are clinical and fight for the wins we will be there or there abouts. Today will be exactly the same a bit of a fight and take the few chances that come your way. I don't think any game in this decision is defining as they are all winnable and losable. 

Think we’re in a better position to say than Bournemouth or Watford supporters as to whether our respective clubs have another level to go to. Both of those clubs have new managers and therefore have nothing to base their assumption on - they simply don’t know yet whether they are playing below themselves or not, but I suspect they’re HOPING they can play better more than anything. It could be that this IS them playing as well as they can under these managers, they are at their best. Us, on the other hand, have been on the Farke journey for some years now, and can claim with confidence that we know for a fact that Farke sides can play even better than we are now, certainly offensively. 

Keeping the current run going is important.

Hernandez scored in 1-0 win at Boro right footed shot in corner not Pukki.

I feel that the first game back after a break is always important. A win of any description could do much to shape the season. But equally not doing the business away at Middlesbrough is a disappointment that is easily put to back of the head

We've usually been pretty good first game after this international break, hopefully it will continue. A win today would be massive, defeat and the manner of defeat could be equally damaging. 

I'd take a draw but let's not start sticking our head in the sand like we did last season, you can't afford to lose to your rivals and expect success.

56 minutes ago, pete said:

Keeping the current run going is important.

Hernandez scored in 1-0 win at Boro right footed shot in corner not Pukki.

He was talking about the HOME game against Boro that season (when Pukki did indeed score).

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Think we’re in a better position to say than Bournemouth or Watford supporters as to whether our respective clubs have another level to go to. Both of those clubs have new managers and therefore have nothing to base their assumption on - they simply don’t know yet whether they are playing below themselves or not, but I suspect they’re HOPING they can play better more than anything. It could be that this IS them playing as well as they can under these managers, they are at their best. Us, on the other hand, have been on the Farke journey for some years now, and can claim with confidence that we know for a fact that Farke sides can play even better than we are now, certainly offensively. 

Beating the league leaders after being 2-0 down at half time would suggest that Bournemouth have already found that extra gear.

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

All I can say is what I hear from my Watford friend but I do tend to agree with him. Any team that at this point in the season is 2nd but is still having players like Deeney, Gray, Capoue, Will Hughes and Sarr being fed in is a team that you would imagine would improve. Yes we can play better but there are other teams who will probably get better as well. Still hoping we improve more 😄

9 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Beating the league leaders after being 2-0 down at half time would suggest that Bournemouth have already found that extra gear.

Great turnaround but let’s not forget despite Reading’s great start to first few weeks of the season, they have since levelled and also conceded 3 goals in each of their previous 3 games to this. I thought Bournemouth looked very vulnerable on the counter attack at the time of posting, and at that point they were - they even went 2-0 down. If that’s their extra gear, then I don’t think they’ll be turning over a side like Swansea, Boro etc but we shall see. 

51 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Not up to the challenge in the first half hopefully more desire in the second 

Your wish has been granted.

7 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

I can now confidentially confirm that we will win the league and be promoted 

It’s all over 

Whos hacked your account then 'cause this clearly isnt Fred

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

7 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

I can now confidentially confirm that we will win the league and be promoted 

It’s all over 

Something’s gone wrong with you these last couple of days.

But there’s your turning point, Fred 👏🏆