Alex Moss

Idah and Mumba out until February

That’s the incoming news from today’s press conference. Idah picked up his injury on international duty, Mumba rolled his knee in training. Positive news is that Hanley, Zimbo, Gibson, Aarons, Rupp and Cantwell are all fine.

Big shame to lose both of them, particularly Mumba after he changed the game versus Swansea completely.

But with Cantwell given the all clear hopefully he can finally start to settle himself back into the team! 

• Like 1

My immediate thought now is could this see the return of Josip Drmic? If we lose one more striker then we’ll definitely need to promote somebody from within, Tyrese perhaps is more likely?

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The biggest worry for me though is Quintilla. He's still out with no timescale for his return. I fear this could be a long one and the club are trying to downplay it to quieten those who would complain about there being no left back cover in the squad.

Then in that instance I think it does us no harm at all in not knowing, Wacky

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Then in that instance I think it does us no harm at all in not knowing, Wacky

I understand that and I'd probably do the same thing if I were the club, to be honest. Although as a fan, it's frustrating to be kept in the dark.

But by not putting a timescale on it, it makes me think it's a longer term injury. Surely if it was only a week or two they would've told us that?

Down to 4 defenders now. Guess it's lucky it's a midfield game these days and they seem to be able to play anywhere.

That is very bad news. I'm sad for Mumba as he was about to announce himself big time, or so I felt. But Idah is a big loss. He offers.ua something quite different.

Come on Jordan. Your time has come.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I understand that and I'd probably do the same thing if I were the club, to be honest. Although as a fan, it's frustrating to be kept in the dark.

But by not putting a timescale on it, it makes me think it's a longer term injury. Surely if it was only a week or two they would've told us that?

It’s a good point pal, I got the impression from the press conference that he wasn’t too far away, only because Daniel said something along the lines of he’s not ready yet, which just suggested to me that he wasn’t that far away. I think it’s worth bearing in mind that where possible he will keep expectation and pressure down as much as is possible, he knows what it takes to win the league and I think managing those sides of things are an important element of it. 

4 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Down to 4 defenders now. Guess it's lucky it's a midfield game these days and they seem to be able to play anywhere.

In name, we have in total Aarons, Hanley, Zimbo, Gibson as you say but also Rupp, Sorensen, Stiepermann, Tettey and I have no doubt several others available to get us through the next few weeks until the transfer window reopens. Not to mention, I could see Kenny playing fullback too if worst came to the worst. These are of course the worst case scenarios however. 

Only conceded 1 in last 3 games with KB rookie Sorenson in place of Quintella who hasn't looked the best defender.  Wouldn't get excited at his return Sorenson will do.  With the injury news expect to see some interesting names to complete the bench  as required by Farke.  Cannot see much transfer action in January, Famewo back as CB cover provided he's fit, which given our injury record is likely to be a no, could be some foreign loans.  Duda no thanks.

Oh look, a lack of numbers in defence biting us on the backside again - those loans out look less and less sensible as time rolls on. We’re going into a period of 9 games in 28 days with 4 fit defenders available before having to go for makeshifts...not great.  
Who saw this coming, other than just about everyone.....?

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Oh look, a lack of numbers in defence biting us on the backside again - those loans out look less and less sensible as time rolls on. We’re going into a period of 9 games in 28 days with 4 fit defenders available before having to go for makeshifts...not great.  

Really hoping that once January rolls around our first course of action is to bring in a new defender

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Hear what you’re saying there, Branston. Though fortunately Sorensen has looked very good in that position thus far and I think we’ve only conceded 1 in the last 4 since he stepped in. My feeling is that named positions for players are at the end of the day, just that, and only of more importance to a supporter than the boss as Lungi has comfortably proven so far. Daniel sees things in training that we will never will until game day, hence Sorensen getting his chance at LB.

Think it’s worth bearing in mind that we know very well that one of Daniel’s main policies is to bring in a youngster if he feels he’s ready to step up. And he’s done incredibly well with that so far, none of us would remotely deny that. With that taken into consideration, and armed with the knowledge that he has a good track history of doing this, I think we would be wise to be mindful that Daniel will almost certainly know which kid he will give the chance to impress if the situation arises. As it happens, I think there’s still a fair few ahead in the pecking order though I would prefer to see Rupp for instance retain his place alongside Skipp.

For these reasons, I feel very calm about the situation.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The biggest worry for me though is Quintilla. He's still out with no timescale for his return. I fear this could be a long one and the club are trying to downplay it to quieten those who would complain about there being no left back cover in the squad.

This is a good point. The gist I got after the initial injury at Brentford was that he 'tweaked' something before the game and had to sit it out. Sounded very minor and like he would be back in no time, but this has not proven to be the case at all!

Then again, I wouldn't say it is like Farke to be political and keep cards to his chest knowing there could be potential criticism - look at the frenzy he inadvertently whipped up when he spoke about Buendia and Cantwell not getting their heads down in training.

Either way we are fortunate that Sorenson has done a really good job covering at LB, I'm not convinced that Quintilla would even make it straight back into the team right away. I certainly think Sorenson would be the better choice against the stronger sides.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

My immediate thought now is could this see the return of Josip Drmic? If we lose one more striker then we’ll definitely need to promote somebody from within, Tyrese perhaps is more likely?

Why not give Omatoye a crack? He's been whacking them in against League Two sides with fellow youngsters?

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Worrying that Mumba is out longer term- between him and Byram we are out of fullback cover until the New Year. 

Yes. But, I feel as if Rupp could cover RB without much difficult and both Stiepi and Gibson have covered at LB before. We could also go with 3 at the back and have WBs.

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Why not give Omatoye a crack? He's been whacking them in against League Two sides with fellow youngsters?

Drmic has a better chance of contributing this season I think

9 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

Yes. But, I feel as if Rupp could cover RB without much difficult and both Stiepi and Gibson have covered at LB before. We could also go with 3 at the back and have WBs.

Or Sorensen, for that matter.

9 minutes ago, Haus said:

Drmic has a better chance of contributing this season I think

Fair point, and it could be a motivator for him as well.

My immediate thoughts with all these long term injuries and the re-introduction of 5 subs is that it could pave the way for Drmic or Leitner to return. If we continue to pick up the same number of short term injuries as we have been as well, we’ll struggle to name a full squad every week.

Got bans and Covid tests to contend with as well.

Edited by Clint

14 minutes ago, Clint said:

My immediate thoughts with all these long term injuries and the re-introduction of 5 subs is that it could pave the way for Drmic or Leitner to return. If we continue to pick up the same number of short term injuries as we have been as well, we’ll struggle to name a full squad every week.

Got bans and Covid tests to contend with as well.

With respect Clint i don't term 10 week lay offs as short term.

We have a big squad which we need in view of the strain being put on the players

the long term question is what does this level of strain have on a players long term health like dementia and heading the ball?

4 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Interesting thought. I still feel Drmic can do a job for us at this level if we gave him a run of games.  From what I’ve seen of Hugill I’d be inclined to give Drmic a chance sooner rather than later but that’s not going to happen until Hugill has had a fair crack of the whip.