Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Tettey and Todd respond to online abuse.

I’m pleased I’m not alone in my thoughts on this as has been highlighted by the club moments ago on Twitter. And believe me, these are without doubt some of the tamer ones, certainly regarding Todd. 

• Like 1

People troll Tetty? The hell? Very interesting video to sell. People often ignore the mental harm that trolling, harassment and bullying tends to do to people.

And sadly most people who engage with it will just be all 'well it was only banter hahahah man up' or some variation of that, sad sad pathetic people.

13 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I’m pleased I’m not alone in my thoughts on this as has been highlighted by the club moments ago on Twitter. And believe me, these are without doubt some of the tamer ones, certainly regarding Todd. 

Did Todd mention Stuart Webber's effort at the end of last season?

6 minutes ago, El Convento said:

Did Todd mention Stuart Webber's effort at the end of last season?

Eh? Not the same thing at all. It goes back to criticism without abuse which is a VERY different thing to online trolling and bullying entirely. 

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

People troll Tetty? The hell? Very interesting video to sell. People often ignore the mental harm that trolling, harassment and bullying tends to do to people.

And sadly most people who engage with it will just be all 'well it was only banter hahahah man up' or some variation of that, sad sad pathetic people.

Out of reactions, Cambridge, but exactly 👍. Was surprised about Tettey, and bear in mind it’s safe to assume that’s only the messages they could read out. There’s obvious banter and fun, and then there’s another side. The two are quite different and it’s usually apparent which side of the line it falls. 

28 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Eh? Not the same thing at all. It goes back to criticism without abuse which is a VERY different thing to online trolling and bullying entirely. 

Maybe, but in anti-bullying week we could bear in mind that anonymous on-line trolling is just abuse, but from your boss it's bullying.

Well said by both players! 

The Cantwell tweets seemed to me to be fuelled more by by hatred and spite, at least the Tettey ones were somewhat better humoured! 

It is just so bizarre to think our own supporters feel compelled to post abuse publicly to the players for the team they are supposed to support - and why it also gets allowed on this forum to a degree as well.

I'm particularly baffled as to how Uncle Fred hasn't just been banned completely? I'd certainly much prefer this place without his trolling and would love to see people made accountable for their cowardly behaviour!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, El Convento said:

Maybe, but in anti-bullying week we could bear in mind that anonymous on-line trolling is just abuse, but from your boss it's bullying.

Well apparently it's ok as long as you're the Home Secretary.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Well apparently it's ok as long as you're the Home Secretary.

Especially if you don't do it deliberately...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, El Convento said:

‘Just abuse’ - what, only? Well that’s ok then 😳

It was a one off single criticism from Webber probably designed to get a reaction - and certainly not tantamount to bullying by any stretch of the imagination.

For the record, bullying comes in many forms and is not confined to either physical or in person. 

The message from the club is a good one and it beggars belief that it appears debatable in some people’s eyes. 

• Like 2

I don’t think there are enough weeks in the year for all the “weeks” we have. 

I think some of them must overlap. I bet “hedgehog awareness week” overlaps with “running downhill after cheese week” or something.

can you just declare a week or is there some sort of international register for “weeks”?

can I just say it’s “Alex Tettey is a legend week” next week or do I have to fill out a form or something?

3 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I don’t think there are enough weeks in the year for all the “weeks” we have. 

I think some of them must overlap. I bet “hedgehog awareness week” overlaps with “running downhill after cheese week” or something.

can you just declare a week or is there some sort of international register for “weeks”?

can I just say it’s “Alex Tettey is a legend week” next week or do I have to fill out a form or something?

I'm sure they're (mostly) well-intentioned, but I do wonder what actual benefit comes out of them, other than nebulous "raising awareness".

43 minutes ago, El Convento said:

On line trolling is just abuse up to a point, but when people see it and add their abuse to it, it becomes bullying as it builds up.  It's the bandwagon effect and it is rife all over the internet.  One lowlife starts something and other lowlife or ignoramuses join in because they think it is the thing to do and before you know it, it has become full blown online bullying.

When it is your boss doing it, it is more than just bullying, it is mal-practice and unprofessional conduct as well and really, if it is happening to you, you either have to tell someone who can do something about it or leave. I have a friend who was in the dilemna of doing a job he loved, but which was made impossible by the people above him in the heirachy.  He left in the end and went in a new direction and career, but they couldn't manage without him so eventually he went back after they promised things would change and offered him more money too. But after a while it started again and he left for good - and started working outdoors and now starting a new business for himself in the leisure/activities business, much happier, more positive and away from the poison of a workplace that was actually ruining his life. And no I'm not talking about myself, it is someone in my circle who it was painful to watch as his life was made a misery in a job which should have been brilliant for him.  Painful as it was to leave that job, he is now in a much  better frame of mind because he did something about it - he confronted it and then left them to it.  I heard that they are trying to get him back again, because he was so important for their business, but he has thankfully completely moved on - their loss and their own fault and apparently he told them that when he left for the second time. Bullies can be beaten, you just have to find a way to take away their power over you, even if it means removing yourself from them.

Edited by lake district canary

50 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Well said by both players! 

The Cantwell tweets seemed to me to be fuelled more by by hatred and spite, at least the Tettey ones were somewhat better humoured! 

It is just so bizarre to think our own supporters feel compelled to post abuse publicly to the players for the team they are supposed to support - and why it also gets allowed on this forum to a degree as well.

I'm particularly baffled as to how Uncle Fred hasn't just been banned completely? I'd certainly much prefer this place without his trolling and would love to see people made accountable for their cowardly behaviour!

7 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

I'm sure they're (mostly) well-intentioned, but I do wonder what actual benefit comes out of them, other than nebulous "raising awareness".

But if it wasn't for the 'raising awareness' maybe this video never gets put together? Maybe lots of other conversations that are happening right now wouldn't be happening (like this one).

IMO its good to see our players are bringing the trolling into perspective by personally reading out abusive tweets, that real-human element certainly hits a lot harder than not having the conversation at all. Physically seeing Cantwell clearly affected by it is surely a better deterrent, but I do appreciate people like Uncle Fred will always be complete legends! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Raising awareness  is the object of the exercise.  Then people may talk a bit more, shame those who engage in this cowardly behaviour.  Some may even change their names after being called out...  eh Freddo, who apparently   , is a good laugh, according  to some(one).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Raising awareness  is the object of the exercise.  Then people may talk a bit more, shame those who engage in this cowardly behaviour.  Some may even change their names after being called out...  eh Freddo, who apparently   , is a good laugh, according  to some(one).

This second half of this post seems like a riddle that I can't be arsed to work out,

4 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

It is just so bizarre to think our own supporters feel compelled to post abuse publicly to the players for the team they are supposed to support

I don't understand the public abuse and making themselves look a total fool and **** at the same time. 

Makes me wonder if the people who act that way are on benefits or something. As if that's a good way to portray yourself. 

Negative use of social media is the quickest way to implicate yourself or lose your job if your employer is watching. 

4 hours ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

I think the UN summed up international “days” or “weeks” when they posted this yesterday on international men’s day...

CF101D4D-72E8-460F-9637-B648F95B2689.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

This second half of this post seems like a riddle that I can't be arsed to work out

Dont bother, for those that know what it means , it has relevance, for those that dont heres a brief  resume  ... 'Uncle Fred' is a vile troll who has said so many low things on this board  that he has had to change his name more than once, (more than ten, actually)needless to say , it doesnt take him long to revert to type.  Another poster of long standing , knows him in ' real life'....and said that he's a good laugh, which kinda demonstrates what the internet allows  people  to become.

Maybe Lappinituppo could publish a full list of Fred's previous  names Again).Then if you could be bothered , you could check out just what vile nonsense  'Uncle  Fred' has spouted over the years under his various names....though if you value your time, don't. 

12 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Dont bother, for those that know what it means , it has relevance, for those that dont heres a brief  resume  ... 'Uncle Fred' is a vile troll who has said so many low things on this board  that he has had to change his name more than once, (more than ten, actually)needless to say , it doesnt take him long to revert to type.  Another poster of long standing , knows him in ' real life'....and said that he's a good laugh, which kinda demonstrates what the internet allows  people  to become.

Not forgetting the fact that he goes to all home and away games so he’s allowed to say what he wants. Although that excuse has lost a bit of effect at the moment.

I think the club doing this is ridiculous and don;t really think its appropriate.

There will be thousands of nice tweets and messages out there about these players and yet they have made them sit down and shoved in front of their faces a few unpleasant onces probably from trolls. I don;t really see what they are trying to achieve except to do more damage to the bond between players like Todd and the supporters.

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think the club doing this is ridiculous and don;t really think its appropriate.

There will be thousands of nice tweets and messages out there about these players and yet they have made them sit down and shoved in front of their faces a few unpleasant onces probably from trolls. I don;t really see what they are trying to achieve except to do more damage to the bond between players like Todd and the supporters.

Eh? 

That tweet won’t damage any bond between Todd and all the decent respectful supporters out there at all! That 99% of people that aren’t trolls will totally understand and support the message like any normal and reasonable human being!

The only people that will be offended by that tweet are the perpetrators themselves!

40 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Eh? 

That tweet won’t damage any bond between Todd and all the decent respectful supporters out there at all! That 99% of people that aren’t trolls will totally understand and support the message like any normal and reasonable human being!

The only people that will be offended by that tweet are the perpetrators themselves!

I don’t agree. It’s like those individuals who see a critical tweet/post about a player on social media so they reply but copy in the player at the same time thus making sure they become aware of something they wouldn’t have been aware of in the first place.

as far as I can tell these tweets were not sent directly to these players. I kind of get what the club is trying to do here but I think it’s misguided.

fans will always think certain players are sh*t or not playing well and will say so on social media. That’s different to targeted bullying. 

8 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

The thing is, Uncle Fred is famously old user 'Waveney' who just reinvents himself every now and then under a different name.

Hilariously it really doesn't take long to figure out it's him again.

Whether he actually decides to reinvent himself or the decision is made for him by way of a ban. Not sure and don't really care.

His last persona (Jobsworth) disappeared after some particularly hairy comments regarding Todd and subsequent article where Todd himself spoke of the trolling and hatred affecting his mental health.

In typical ignorant fashion, 'Waveney' dismissed this insinuating Todd was too sensitive, not that mental health issues are a real thing that affect people, including youngsters in the limelight.

The forum generally hit back. That persona disappeared. Suddenly Uncle Fred appeared.

It isn't the first time, I just find myself wishing each one was the last.

I noticed he's posted today but stayed away from this thread, which he would surely love to comment on I'm sure. Probably just learned his lesson from the Jobsworth account getting hounded out.

He knows he's a troll. Just try not to feed him TOO much (I'm aware of the irony here).

Edited by Flying Dutchman

58 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I don’t agree. It’s like those individuals who see a critical tweet/post about a player on social media so they reply but copy in the player at the same time thus making sure they become aware of something they wouldn’t have been aware of in the first place.

as far as I can tell these tweets were not sent directly to these players. I kind of get what the club is trying to do here but I think it’s misguided.

fans will always think certain players are sh*t or not playing well and will say so on social media. That’s different to targeted bullying. 

I’m sorry Jim but how on earth you can think any decent Norwich City supporter is going to feel a wedge driven between themselves and the likes of Todd over that tweet is beyond me. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Yes I agree with your thought that copying a players Twitter handle into a derogatory comment about them isn’t helpful. How could it be?

No I can’t see what’s misguided about raising issues over online bullying for the very reason I’ve stated in my first paragraph (and initial reply).

And finally, yes, players will always get tweets from supporters if they think they’ve had a poor game. As long as it’s put forth in a respectful manner then I can’t see anything wrong with that. Which of course is very different to what I’m talking about - unpleasant hateful stuff designed purely to get a rise. Those people are ar5eholes - the extreme examples of those people being when a player of a football club receives abuse about their family, skin colour, or even in the most extreme cases, death threats.

I cannot agree with your main point being that that tweet will drive a wedge between decent footballing supporters and the players. Anyone with half a brain will respect the message for exactly what it is - bullying is not ok! If they don’t, then that tells you everything you need to know about that particular individual.

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I’m sorry Jim but how on earth you can think any decent Norwich City supporter is going to feel a wedge driven between themselves and the likes of Todd over that tweet is beyond me. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Yes I agree with your thought that copying a players Twitter handle into a derogatory comment about them isn’t helpful. How could it be?

No I can’t see what’s misguided about raising issues over online bullying for the very reason I’ve stated in my first paragraph (and initial reply).

And finally, yes, players will always get tweets from supporters if they think they’ve had a poor game. As long as it’s put forth in a respectful manner then I can’t see anything wrong with that. Which of course is very different to what I’m talking about - unpleasant hateful stuff designed purely to get a rise. Those people are ar5eholes - the extreme examples of those people being when a player of a football club receives abuse about their family, skin colour, or even in the most extreme cases, death threats.

I cannot agree with your main point being that that tweet will drive a wedge between decent footballing supporters and the players. Anyone with half a brain will respect the message for exactly what it is - bullying is not ok! If they don’t, then that tells you everything you need to know about that particular individual.

What I mean is that it fuels a perception by the players that the fans are on their back. These tweets were not sent to the players. 

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

How can you possibly miss the point of this that badly?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1