Mullet

Todd Beckham saga resurfacing

50 minutes ago, chicken said:

Just to  highlight.

Maldini - one of the best defenders in the world of his generation:
As Milan and Italy legend Paolo Maldini turns 49… here's why he was the  defender so good he didn't need to tackle

Of course, we wouldn't have wanted him because he wore a hairband.

Messi, said by some to be the greatest player EVER...
The Fascinating Evolution of Lionel Messi's Hair | Bleacher Report | Latest  News, Videos and Highlights

Wouldn't have him here because he has worn hair bands?

I can keep going. Beckham, Ronaldinho, Fernando Torres, Sergio Ramos, C. Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic, Gullet, Van Nistelroy... So it's just personal playground level attacks on someone they don't know but who they feel can be summed up for wearing a hairband.

Don’t forget Todd’s pal, Antoine Griezmann. As you say, they’re nothing new, but also very popular today. It is possibly the most petty kind of dig that I’ve ever seen levelled at a player, especially when you consider it’s one of own. To be fair, some do it in a playful way, but unfortunately some do not.

As for Maldini, I’d argue that he is not one of the best defenders of his generation - He’s one of the very best of all time 😉. Used to date an Italian girl back in the early to mid 90’s whose father worked for AC Milan and so I watched a lot of them at the time. I’ve even got one of Van Basten’s match worn and signed shirts that she got me. But Maldini, Baresi, Costacurta, Tassotti, Panucci etc - good god, they were some defenders those boys.

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

As for Maldini, I’d argue that he is not one of the best defenders of his generation - He’s one of the very best of all time 😉. Used to date an Italian girl back in the early to mid 90’s whose father worked for AC Milan and so I watched a lot of them at the time. I’ve even got one of Van Basten’s match worn and signed shirts that she got me. But Maldini, Baresi, Costacurta, Tassotti, Panucci etc - good god, they were some defenders those boys.

I agree. Always used to watch Football Italia. The only reason I didn't put best of all time is that it is likely to upset someone and then a whole other argument would start about alice bands, best defenders and why can't modern footballers make do with comb-overs and heavier footballs like Jack Charlton...

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Todd's a great player and will be an important one for us this season, if people could just let him get on with it.

I don't think he's particularly well advised though.

Michael Bailey had said that the club expected Godfrey, Cantwell and Buendia to leave in the summer, and that our valuations for Aarons and Lewis were unlikely to be met. So neither Buendia or Cantwell got their moves and were dropped from the squad for a lack of focus.  Buendia's been reintegrated into the team and the club or his agent are running some positive press in the media. We also signed Kieran Dowell as a Cantwell/Buendia replacement.

I don't know whether Todd has genuinely been struggling with injuries or if that's just a cover.  I think from previous comments from the club that his agents aren't the easiest to deal with, he didn't sign a new contract until we got promoted and his contract only runs till 2022 (By contrast Buendia is signed up till 2024) Todd's agents also represented Josh Maja in his well-documented departure from Sunderland, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were running down Todd's contract. The comments in the Farke interview about agents advising their players to "protect their brand on social media" could only have been directed at Todd.

According to the Leeds local press the club weren't particularly interested and it was the agents trying to sell the player to the club.

42 minutes ago, chicken said:

I agree. Always used to watch Football Italia. The only reason I didn't put best of all time is that it is likely to upset someone and then a whole other argument would start about alice bands, best defenders and why can't modern footballers make do with comb-overs and heavier footballs like Jack Charlton...

I'm happy to say that I've watched football for 54 years and Maldini was the best defender I've ever seen. 

As for Jackie Charlton and heavier footballs, I'm afraid that because today's footballs are lighter they move much quicker which means that, contrary to popular opinion, they actually cause just as much damage. 

• Like 1

The Todd defenders are overstating the degree to which fans harp on his hair, looks, etc. And they're understating the degree to which it IS clear something is going on with him.

I don't buy for a second he's been "injured" this entire time. But he has his right to privacy and do I think we should just leave him alone. It's a dead topic at this point without further news or developments. Frankly, I'm not worried much about Todd either way. We have the squad to get promoted without him!

17 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

The Todd defenders are overstating the degree to which fans harp on his hair, looks, etc. And they're understating the degree to which it IS clear something is going on with him.

I don't buy for a second he's been "injured" this entire time. But he has his right to privacy and do I think we should just leave him alone. It's a dead topic at this point without further news or developments. Frankly, I'm not worried much about Todd either way. We have the squad to get promoted without him!

Why don’t you believe he has been injured? Farke has always been very honest with the media about players not playing when there are behind the scenes falling outs - why change that now? 

Before the Brentford game Farke said Cantwell had picked up a knock but should be okay. He was taken off at half time as he wasn’t comfortable and then was recovering the following games. 

I highly doubt there is a cover up going on and Cantwell has been injured. Hopefully the international break has given him a chance to get fit again and we’ll see a firing Todd soon.

Now with extra subs having as many fit players in the match day 20 will be so important. 

23 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

It is clear that he's getting unwarranted grief from a number of small-minded idiots who would rather pull someone down than try to help build them up.

Consider the meaning of the word "supporter"..

Edited by kirku
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, kirku said:

It is clear that he's getting unwarranted grief from a number of small-minded idiots who would rather pull someone down than try to help build them up.

Consider the meaning of the word "supporter"..

Well I've just ordered mine on EBay.

Should arrive from China by Christmas?

Unisex Mens Sweatband Hairband Sports Sweat Headband Yoga Gym Stretch Head Band

Condition:
New with tags

Color:
- Select -YellowPurplePinkRed[out of stock]

Quantity:
More than 10 available / 3 sold

Price:
£0.99
Edited by BroadstairsR

36 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

Eh? Right now there’s nothing to say he isn’t just simply recovering from injury, unless of course you’re a conspiracy theorist. But more importantly, and what is abundantly clear, is that a small minority have decided anything and everything that has gone on with Todd this season is down to a RUMOUR that he never got his move to Leeds. Have you ever considered for one moment that there maybe something else, or even a series of events, in his private life recently that has affected him deeply, perhaps even his mental health? There have been a couple of messages via his social media in recent weeks that have, reading between the lines, alluded to this I feel. Even his tribute to Etty Smith yesterday hinted that herself and Delia had been really looking out for him in a way that doesn’t sound like they felt sorry for him because he didn’t get his move to Leeds. The tone suggested something different to me. Online bullying has taken the life of several young people in the public eye (and more in the not so). It’s no secret, but it still continues. It’s a very serious issue.

This isn’t a post at all about those people that simply criticise his or any other players performances on the pitch - that is just respectful opinion which of course everyone’s entitled to, and those people will get what I’m saying. Only those that are responsible will of course be butthurt about it. Though to be honest this is more aimed at those idiots on Twitter and Instagram etc that derive pleasure from attempting to upset the likes of Todd. Honestly, how f***ing sad can those people get?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, chicken said:

Just to  highlight.

Maldini - one of the best defenders in the world of his generation:
As Milan and Italy legend Paolo Maldini turns 49… here's why he was the  defender so good he didn't need to tackle

Of course, we wouldn't have wanted him because he wore a hairband.

Messi, said by some to be the greatest player EVER...
The Fascinating Evolution of Lionel Messi's Hair | Bleacher Report | Latest  News, Videos and Highlights

Wouldn't have him here because he has worn hair bands?

I can keep going. Beckham, Ronaldinho, Fernando Torres, Sergio Ramos, C. Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic, Gullet, Van Nistelroy... So it's just personal playground level attacks on someone they don't know but who they feel can be summed up for wearing a hairband.

Look at that list of players not a single city fan would attack any of them for wearing a hair band, or playing in a clown outfit if they so chose because they made it in football. Classy, proffesional and dedicated throughout their careers. Todd is getting stick because he's played in the premier league for a season has gained some interest from another club and is possibly getting ahead of himself. No body likes someone who thinks they are gods gift before they actually are. If the club are actually regretting not selling him there surely must be something wrong with his attitude or application. If that is the case fans are going to imply he thinks more about his head wear than his football. 

25 minutes ago, Mullet said:

Look at that list of players not a single city fan would attack any of them for wearing a hair band, or playing in a clown outfit if they so chose because they made it in football. Classy, proffesional and dedicated throughout their careers. Todd is getting stick because he's played in the premier league for a season has gained some interest from another club and is possibly getting ahead of himself. No body likes someone who thinks they are gods gift before they actually are. If the club are actually regretting not selling him there surely must be something wrong with his attitude or application. If that is the case fans are going to imply he thinks more about his head wear than his football. 

Speak for yourself.  You don't  speak for  me.

41 minutes ago, Mullet said:

So, in short, from everything I can garner from your post, you have a problem with him based on ‘possibilities’, rumours, and stories from NewsNow, rather than actual confirmed factual truth. 

Absolute classic.

Btw, it’s good to know that once he’s officially become gods gift then it’s ok for him to act that way. But not until that point. Does arrogance suddenly become an accepted and attractive quality at that point then?  

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

So, in short, from everything I can garner from your post, you have a problem with him based on ‘possibilities’, rumours, and stories from NewsNow, rather than actual confirmed factual truth. 

Absolute classic.

Btw, it’s good to know that once he’s officially become gods gift then it’s ok for him to act that way. But not until that point. Does arrogance suddenly become an accepted and attractive quality at that point then?  

I don't have a problem with him I'm trying to ascertain why he gets stick from some fans and balance the argument. What can you do except take note of what is reported I'm not a club insider or friends with Daniel Farke so I have no clue about the facts as do you I suspect only what is reported. In my opinion I think it's a mistake to act as though you are gods gift unless you are that good It can't be disputed. I wouldn't say arrogance is a good thing but it is an easier flaw to live with if you have some credentials to back it up. I was trying to understand why the alice band is an issue as it keeps coming up and all I can deduce is that some use it to have a poke because they find him frustrating. Some fans on here may suspect Todd thinks he is better than he actually is without knowing any facts about how he feels but this has all come about from Farke's comments about his application and subsequently being dropped and the latest report that some within the club regret not cashing in on him now I'm sorry but thats not a comment you make if he is committed. That said It could all be fake news in which case there is no point believing anything you read from any source.

Edited by Mullet

10 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

This whole Alice band thing does make me laugh. I hate to break it to some of you but it’s not even rare to see a player wearing an Alice band, they’re everywhere in football these days but reading this board you’d be forgiven for thinking it’s just Todd. As it happens, they’re kind of quite helpful if you’ve got longer hair and are playing sport, for obvious reasons. I hope he plays on Saturday and wears THREE.

This post had nothing to do with alice bands and yet you started a chain reaction about it. No one mentioned alice bands as a negative before you did

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mullet said:

This post had nothing to do with alice bands and yet you started a chain reaction about it. No one mentioned alice bands as a negative before you did

Actually they were mentioned in whatever context on this thread about Todd ‘Beckham’ twice before my post - my first response was just a general point about the regular ridicule, and in some instances, abuse, that Todd receives regarding this. Deny it all you like but unless you’ve been living in a cave, the abuse of Todd is not infrequent, even now. I would suggest this is partly why Farke has taken him out of the firing line at times in recent weeks - because of sad people like you. 

As I said, only the perpetrators would get a bit salty over this - your defensive replies certainly suggest it’s hit a spot with you. Everyone else, including those decent Pink’un posters that simply post respectful criticism or doubts about his performances but tellingly don’t make it personal or result in online bullying, won’t be bothered about it at all and may even possibly agree. 

12 hours ago, Mullet said:

Btw, this is incredibly ironic given the title of your thread. Who resurrected or ‘resurfaced‘ the ‘saga’ again? Don’t be surprised if most Norwich City supporters have a tendency to do just that, support and defend, one of our own when it goes beyond the boundaries of simple criticism of a players performances and turns personal. My feeling is most of those people that simply have doubts over his performances are just showing what high regard they hold for his undoubted ability and want to see more from him this season. I’m very clear that I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, and I’m sure Todd would agree with those supporters that there’s a lot more to come from himself. The other petty playground online bully shoite that is the focus of my post? Those people can do one 👍

The very title of the thread is supposedly putting Todd Cantwell in a negative light by suggesting that he equates himself in some way to Beckham - one of the greatest footballers England has ever produced. He of course had his own kind of negative personal PR issue. but modelling yourself on David Beckham didn't seem to do James Maddison any harm when he was at Norwich.

Todd Cantwell is a young, talented footballer who lives in a very different world to everyone on this message board or the vast majority of social media users who can know nothing about his life. Why anyone on here, who purport to be Norwich supporters, would criticise him on personal issues they know nothing about is beyond me. He's a footballer - critique his football; nothing else is relevant.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

The very title of the thread is supposedly putting Todd Cantwell in a negative light by suggesting that he equates himself in some way to Beckham - one of the greatest footballers England has ever produced. He of course had his own kind of negative personal PR issue. but modelling yourself on David Beckham didn't seem to do James Maddison any harm when he was at Norwich.

Todd Cantwell is a young, talented footballer who lives in a very different world to everyone on this message board or the vast majority of social media users who can know nothing about his life. Why anyone on here, who purport to be Norwich supporters, would criticise him on personal issues they know nothing about is beyond me. He's a footballer - critique his football; nothing else is relevant.

👏

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

👏

"He's a footballer-critique his football; nothing else is relevant".

This whole post and ones before are reference to his own manger having to drop him and Emi for a lack of application in training around the transfer window. Subsequently this week it was reported (fake news or not ) that some within the club wish Todd had been sold. Since this saga started Emi is back in the side playing well and gave a good interview this week and everyone is raving about him. I think the topic is about football matters, I don't know him personally so I wouldn't dare to comment but if he has been arrogant I think in this case it is a football matter because it dictates whether he gets picked or not. Daniel Farke has stated he has no time for big time charlies. If the news comes to light that a NCFC player isn't applying himself in training because Leeds showed an interest and he isn't conscientious enough to still give 100% to the club that are paying his wages some of which comes out of my pocket then yes I think thats arrogant hence he thinks he's Beckham reference. I understand you think its about hair bands and his appearance and personal but I'm afraid it's about arrogance I never mentioned hair bands. I hope he gets in the team plays well and helps NCFC get promoted.  I think you have misunderstood me a little and although it's an open forum to discuss whatever you wish for your sake I won't reference Todd again ok . 

18 minutes ago, Mullet said:

"He's a footballer-critique his football; nothing else is relevant".

This whole post and ones before are reference to his own manger having to drop him and Emi for a lack of application in training around the transfer window. Subsequently this week it was reported (fake news or not ) that some within the club wish Todd had been sold. Since this saga started Emi is back in the side playing well and gave a good interview this week and everyone is raving about him. I think the topic is about football matters, I don't know him personally so I wouldn't dare to comment but if he has been arrogant I think in this case it is a football matter because it dictates whether he gets picked or not. Daniel Farke has stated he has no time for big time charlies. If the news comes to light that a NCFC player isn't applying himself in training because Leeds showed an interest and he isn't conscientious enough to still give 100% to the club that are paying his wages some of which comes out of my pocket then yes I think thats arrogant hence he thinks he's Beckham reference. I understand you think its about hair bands and his appearance and personal but I'm afraid it's about arrogance I never mentioned hair bands. I hope he gets in the team plays well and helps NCFC get promoted.  I think you have misunderstood me a little and although it's an open forum to discuss whatever you wish for your sake I won't reference Todd again ok . 

I’m going to stop you right there.

The initial headline in bold by SGNCFC is my whole point! What part of that do you not understand?

For the record, I’ve not attributed you to any hair band stuff either. So stop making stuff up. You got your knickers in a twist at my post, not the other way around.

As for the melodramatic nonsense at the end about not ever posting about Cantwell again to please me (?) - that just screams guilt trip and victim. But I’ll bite - I’ve been on this message a hell of a long time and I wouldn’t dream of censoring any *reasonable* poster ever, and never have - I’m always respectful of *reasonable* opinions even if I don’t agree rightly or wrongly with the poster. Being a tw@ towards one of our own is another matter. But good effort at trying to give me that reputation though 😜