Alex Moss

Team and predictions for Middlesbrough.

What are your thoughts folks? Can see from reading some of their fans thoughts that there are still some that are still bitter about the PO Final. Though loved CamJam’s comments about it on the recent TNC podcast. I think this will be a tight game as they can defend but can’t score. I’m going 1-0 to us. Hugill header late on.

Krul

Aarons

Hanley (if fit)

Gibson

Sorensen

Rupp

Skipp

Buendia

Stiepermann

Placheta

Pukki

Hope to see Cantwell get some minutes too if fit.

Krul

Aarons Hanley Gibson Quintilla/Mumba

Rupp/Sorensen Skipp

Buendia Stiepermann Placheta

Pukki

if either Quintilla or Rupp are still injured then the players listed should start instead.

I can see Pukki, Placheta and possibly Skipp being rested out of this one. We really do have to be careful with Teemu with the sheer volume of games coming up rotating him out for a period will be crucial if we don’t want to burn him out.

on this occasion I would leave all the internationals out of the first X1 (I wouldn’t usually) but not picking up injuries and using the full depth of our squad to keep them as fresh as possible will be crucial over the next few weeks. Tim Krul being the obvious exception. 

Just really hope we win this game even more than usual , can't stand that Boro fan who is some kind of YouTube sensation , he's very bitter about us beating them in p.o. final , I think we will win although they have improved since Warnock took over .

1 hour ago, Big O said:

I can see Pukki, Placheta and possibly Skipp being rested out of this one. We really do have to be careful with Teemu with the sheer volume of games coming up rotating him out for a period will be crucial if we don’t want to burn him out.

on this occasion I would leave all the internationals out of the first X1 (I wouldn’t usually) but not picking up injuries and using the full depth of our squad to keep them as fresh as possible will be crucial over the next few weeks. Tim Krul being the obvious exception. 

This makes a lot of sense!   Pukki has played a lot of games and Boro are likely to park the bus so may suit to go with Hugill anyway.. not sure how fit Idah is.

Momentum is gathering and players getting a chance are taking it, Martin, Mumba and Sorensen just adding to the strength in depth....

would go with 

Krul

Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Sorensen 

Skipp, Rupp

Martin, Buendia, Cantwell

Hugill or Idah.

GK, Mumba, Zimmerman, Platcheta,  Vrancic, Idah/Hugill, Pukki, McLean and Quintilla.   We can have 9 now.

Confident we will edge a tight game, poss 0-1, 1-2 in our favour.

Edited by ged in the onion bag

I think we will murder them 1-0. As for the team - unchanged, if everyone fit. Pukki will have travelled all the way back from Cardiff - he'll be fine. Playing twice a week means very little training required to stay match sharp. We also have 5 subs available.

Although it has some merit I don't agree with this policy of resting players after an international break.

Players differ. Pukki, for example seems to revel in a sizeable workload, is rarely injured and, I am sure he would be desperate to play being on a high after that super goal he just scored for Finland. With him it would seem to be a confidence thing, but when he is on a roll he is unstoppable. Leave match winner Stiepperman in as well as he would seem to complement the striker's needs as much as Buendia does, so why break a successful partnership? Besides resting works both ways. Some, including Marco have had a decent break.

Also, as strikers go we are somewhat limited. Idah also played international games and, because of his youth and due to the fact that he had  been very pressured by that need to prove his worth at international level,  in what turned out to be a difficult experience due to poor service and his own naive ( nervy) contribution. Add onto this somewhat harsh criticism from those supposedly in the know and it indicates that Adam Idah is now subject to a learning curve that could dictate his career.

For some reason I am less convinced with starting Hugill than I originally was due to his virtual and complete lack of impact when subbed on in recent games. Want to be wrong.

Placheta is full of get up and go. His success on the international scene will have him fired up and in make him likely to be in prime condition to play with all the energy/enthusiasm he has hitherto shown. I get the impression from this player's total commitment that an international recognition will take him to new heights rather than leave him an exhausted passenger.

Rest nobody. We need to start on the front foot, as at Bristol. It is unthinkable to restart the campaign without Pukki. He is back to being in his pomp. His threat and workload put the ****eroos into opposing defences, even those packed with Warnockism style pragmatism.

I would keep Zimmermann in. Let the other two fight for the spot, with three at the back a possibility. Memories are short if they have forgotten Zimbo's massive displays/authority of two season's ago. He is Duncan Forbes re-incarnated as Attila the Hun and destined for PL recognition.

My pick. Unchanged, but with even more awareness of the nine subs rule, the threat of Mumba, the possibility of Hugill proving his credentials, Marios game saving contributions and, more than all, the availability of yet another impressive Cantwell comeback; and also not forgetting the fact that we will have one of the most talented benches in the entire Chumps coming Saturday.

For some, not particularly logical, reason this game has assumed  enhanced proportions when assessing our prospects for the season. It's not really the case as a loss would be commonplace in this unpredictable league. However, an away win up there would cement our predominance in this league and give us that aura of being  the 'unstoppable,' that we have previously, joyously and recently experienced.

I predict a 1-1 draw with every indication of the season's outcome  still totally in doubt. It's early days.

Edited by BroadstairsR

6 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Placheta is full of get up and go. His success on the international scene will have him fired up and in make him likely to be in prime condition to play with all the energy/enthusiasm he has hitherto shown. I get the impression from this player's total commitment that an international recognition will take him to new heights rather than leave him an exhausted passenger

There is a huge difference between Placheta playing for Poland and playing for us. I think he was picked against Holland because Poland had identified a weakness with pace on the left hand side of the Dutch defence. It worked in the first half but Holland changed things round at half time and he became less of a threat. The way Poland set up for the game suited him perfectly and obviously he was playing with much better players. But most importantly, he was playing against a team that didn't defend in depth which is something he hasn't experienced here yet. I doubt we will see the best of him this season because everyone knows the way to stop us is to sit deep and hope for goals from dead balls or quick breaks. That completely negates his pace. It may be that we'll only see the best of him when we are promoted. Having said that, the Bundesliga will have been watching with interest last night. 

As for Saturday's game, the fewer changes the better for me. I'll forecast a narrow victory and top of the league at 5.00😊

Have a feeling this might be a 0-0 stalemate. Hopefully we can keep the back door shut & nick another late goal.

The injury/fitness update should be interesting tomorrow. Idah, Quintilla, Hanley, Cantwell - are they available? Players coming back from international duty? 

I suspect DF would like to play a very similar first 11 to the last time out. The extended bench should favour the likes of us with a deep squad. Keeps most close to the action, gets minutes into legs & gives some of the younger lads some first team exposure. Will the likes of Josh Martin get more chances to stake his claim? And the rate of attrition may well be high over the next couple of months. 

What about:

Krul

Aarons     Zimm     Gibson     Sorensen

Skipp     Rupp

Buendia     Stiepermannn     Placheta

Pukki

I'd be perfectly happy to see Hanley in for Zimm if fit, McLean in for Skipp if necessary, Todd in for Placheta, Hugill in for Pukki, all depending on fitness etc. We currently have plenty of options. While we're bound to see players become unavailable over the next period, it's the same for everyone and I believe our depth of quality surpasses most of the other squads in the division. With a bit of luck, this will be proven to be true in the near future & we're in for an interesting ride. 

If we're facing a Warnock side, who tend to be good on set-pieces and play the percentages, I'd rather have a more old-school stopper in Hanley back there instead of Zimbo alongside Gibson, who's bound to be fired up as hell for this one. If Cantwell's shaken off the hip injury then I'd start him on the left and let Placheta come off the bench, if not then let Placheta start as his workrate coming back is pretty impressive combined with his pace. That said, Mumba could also come off the bench to great effect.

Rather keep Pukki up top. Can't see Boro being too worried about Hugill. Warnock's teams are generally chokka with big bastards at centre-half. Skipp and Rupp should stay together, Stiepermann and Pukki should also stay together.

I’ve gone 1-0 to us but I believe Boro have won 3 of their last 4 and not lost since the opening day of the season so they are clearly a decent side, and of course, you know what you’re going to get with a Warnock side. I have a feeling NW will see this as an opportunity for Patrick Roberts to make a point against us, and it’s almost written in the stars that he will score against us. 3 points could take us top if we better Watford’s score should they win, as I doubt Reading will beat Bournemouth. Don’t want to predict a draw as we’re so close to going into the Stoke game sitting pretty at the top but Boro will be a tough game. Are they as good as Swansea? Not sure, but we saw that challenge off in the end, and I feel they’re as good a side as we will face this campaign. Will be interesting to see how the first 5 subs game of the season for us both plays it’s part.

A lot depends on who's fit and available, but can't imagine too many changes from the pre-break team. Fingers crossed Rupp is back, as he's been fantastic.

Fancy us to win it by one with another late show.

Krul

Aarons Hanley Gibson Quintilla (Mumba is out for 10 weeks)

Skipp Rupp

Buendia Stieperman Cantwell

Pukki

Hope for a win, happy with a draw.

At this stage of the season, keeping in touch is what its about. Cannot win them all. But 2 wins and a loss than a win and two draws. So losses are always calamities. Other than spoiling the weekend. Especially in lockdown.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Krul

Aarons Hanley Gibson Quintilla (Mumba is out for 10 weeks)

Skipp Rupp

Pukki

Hope for a win, happy with a draw.

At this stage of the season, keeping in touch is what its about. Cannot win them all. But 2 wins and a loss than a win and two draws. So losses are always calamities. Other than spoiling the weekend. Especially in lockdown.

Quintilla still out unfortunately, K, but doesn’t sound like he’s far away.

14 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Rather keep Pukki up top. Can't see Boro being too worried about Hugill. Warnock's teams are generally chokka with big bastards at centre-half. 

You should definitely be writing for the EDP. Their namby pamby reporters would have taken half a page to say exactly the same thing. 

14 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Can't see Boro being too worried about Hugill.

From what Warnock said earlier, I think Hugill scored an absolute belter for QPR against his side last time they met so I’m not sure Neil would be relishing him playing either, Gunny 

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

From what Warnock said earlier, I think Hugill scored an absolute belter for QPR against his side last time they met so I’m not sure Neil would be relishing him playing either, Gunny 

True, I would say that belters aren't really Hugill's stock in trade though. By definition, a "belter" is something that's way out of the ordinary. Hugill's a combination of target man getting on the end of balls pinged in, mainly as crosses and someone hungry to climb all over anything loose in the box because he's up there making an absolute nuisance of himself.

Not saying he can't crack one from the edge of the box but we've got a few who can, when they're not trying to walk the ball in. Stiepermann's the obvious one for that when he actually gets it on his left but Rupp's definitely shown a nice tendency to crank one up and let fly from range, and he's forced a fair few saves with it.

Boro will be in our faces all afternoon, need strength and I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3-5-1-1: Krul; Hanley, Zimbo, Gibson; Aarons, Rupp, Skipp, Stieperman, Placheta; Buendia; Pukki. Very defensive I know but I'd take a point tomorrow

As a Boro fan I would snap your arm off for a point,Warnock has had the team over performing massively this season,but I can't see past an away win against arguably the best team in the league. Good luck for the season just not tomorrow 

• Like 1

Krul

Aaron's Hanley Gibson Sorensen 

Skipp Rupp

Pukki

Subs

McGovern Zimmerman Placheta Hugill Martin McLean Tettey Vrancic McAlear

Obviously we have to fill the bench but with no Idah, Mumba, Dowell, Hernandez, Quintilla and Byram (just the injured ones) this should still be too strong for Boro.

Head says 1-2 Norwich . Heart says we will score more. Just think our movement will be too much for them

15 hours ago, utb said:

As a Boro fan I would snap your arm off for a point,Warnock has had the team over performing massively this season,but I can't see past an away win against arguably the best team in the league. Good luck for the season just not tomorrow 

I'm still predicting 1-1.

Both of us on unbeaten runs, both with a 1 goal scored 1 expected stats etc