A Load of Squit

Interesting. re Russell Martin.

The Twitter rumour was that Russell Martin was the source for this article in 2017. God knows if that's true.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/norwich-latest-daniel-farke-next-manager-news-a8122101.html

The Independent is a fairly decent paper so you would have thought they wouldn't have published it unless they had a credible source.

Edited by Icecream Snow

11 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

The Twitter rumour was that Russell Martin was the source for this article in 2017. God knows if that's true.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/norwich-latest-daniel-farke-next-manager-news-a8122101.html

The Independent is a fairly decent paper so you would have thought they wouldn't have published it unless they had a credible source.

4 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Not good form.

Dare one say he might have had a point... see injuries list and the consequences!

I mean it did get us promoted to the Prem.. But yeah, we clearly are doing something wrong behind the scenes to still three years later be havng injury crisis after injury crisis

The day Russell Martin becomes manager is the day Webber and Co have moved on and we go backwards to the old "he used to play for us and is a nice man" criteria for picking managers.

So obviously it's absolutely bound to happen 🙄

Not sure what you have all seen of MK Don's this season, been getting some great reviews of the football they've been playing.

2 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

I think it's been all but confirmed by Martin himself. It was almost certainly him.

No way now but if he's proven himself a good manager in a few years time and we are looking for one, then of course he should be an option.

Wouldn’t even consider him at the moment as he’s only just starting his managerial career and so has barely any 3rd tier experience, let alone 2nd or 1st tier. Maybe some point in the future if he guides a team to the championship and keeps them up, but personally I don’t think I’d want him until he has good championship experience unless by chance the strength of our squad happened to drop to what it was like in the Grant-Roeder-Gunn era (bottom half Championship or lower)

Russ Martin has all the required badges to manage in the Prem, plus a qualification in club management, he is a very intelligent and articulate man, he understands human psyche, he was incredibly well respected as a Captain by all the players here, he has tremendous focus and when we had Howson sent off at Bournemouth with the score at 1 – 1 and Alex Neil (his first match) came down from the stand and asked the management team what changes they would make, they told him but also told him that the Captain had suggested, which was something different, AN said go with Russ and we went on to win the game.

Does any of this mean RM will prove himself as a top manager, no, but I know where my money would be.

14 hours ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

I think it's been all but confirmed by Martin himself. It was almost certainly him.

I seem to remember Russ saying Farke didn't need a senior pro confusing messages about a new way of playing and he understood why there was no longer a role for him on that basis. I don't remember anything about confessing to this, but i could have forgotten it, or just missed it in the first place?

From day one Russell Martin was always ready to expose his thoughts to the waiting press.

Some might say (have said) that he was a bit too forward with this.

Some might say that it illustrated that he had a decent footballing mind that heralded a future manager in the game.

A bit of both, it seems.

A good servant, a good clubman and a far better player than often portrayed on here.

He cost us peanuts but gave us chocolate coated Brazils. 🙄 Well not quite! Hmmm.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

How about Lampard, Gerrard  and now Rooney all with no experience getting high profile jobs