Jersey Canary

McLean to Rangers in January?

A bit like Bradley Johnson, although Bradley was more obviously useful to the first team. Can't see us selling him until we know we have more than one replacement / upgrade for his position. So, if Rupp is one, who is the other?

Edited by Surfer

McLean is a very good Championship box-to-box midfielder who was an excellent piece of business and has served the club very well indeed. I have a soft spot for him and would be sad to see him go. That said, if he realizes the PL might be above his level and/or would like to be closer to family and/or would like European football AND Rangers want to come in at £4-5 million ... I'd probably let him go and feel such a deal would work well for all parties.

Rangers spent £10m in transfer fees in 18/19 and 19/20. They won't be blowing most of their budget on Kenny.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Well why not when the game is now decided by other people's money being top of the priority list.

Game, set and match.

56 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Would imagine £7m to be fantasy figures, particularly for Rangers.   Would not be disappointed if we recovered £3m, any more is a bonus of course.   I can't see a long-term future for Kenny given that we need to improve and there are other options now so it makes sense to move on.

Would largely agree with that GITOB. Around 3m sounds about right and more realistic. I'd like to see him stick around though until the end of the season and see the lie of the land then. If he wants to go before then, that's a bit different & the best of luck to him. He looked a bit out of his depth in the Premier and I'm sure he'd like to be a regular starter coming into his peak years. 

Skipp 'n Rupp have those spots at the moment, but that could easily change and Kenny could well find himself back in the starting 11 before too long. He's a good option for this level. 

15 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Would largely agree with that GITOB. Around 3m sounds about right and more realistic. I'd like to see him stick around though until the end of the season and see the lie of the land then. If he wants to go before then, that's a bit different & the best of luck to him. He looked a bit out of his depth in the Premier and I'm sure he'd like to be a regular starter coming into his peak years. 

Skipp 'n Rupp have those spots at the moment, but that could easily change and Kenny could well find himself back in the starting 11 before too long. He's a good option for this level. 

Considering how highly farke rates him, him, on a long term contract and a good age and international, I think 3 or 4 million seems low 

The thing is you aren't going to get a replacement of similar quality (or a good quality in another position) for three or four million. 

Also backing onto what the other guy said, a good enough player at this level and good squad player overall, with no need to sell contact wise, so why let him go for three or four million.

No need to cheapen a player's worth just because they are out of the team for any reason and he may well have an important part to play for us again this season, as he did two years ago.  He is a very good player, no question about it, great left foot, not so bad with the right either and a good header.  Wouldn't sell anyone half way through a season, especially a player who proved his worth in a team that got promoted only two years ago.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

No need to cheapen a player's worth just because they are out of the team for any reason and he may well have an important part to play for us again this season, as he did two years ago.  He is a very good player, no question about it, great left foot, not so bad with the right either and a good header.  Wouldn't sell anyone half way through a season, especially a player who proved his worth in a team that got promoted only two years ago.

He can be good but is not a very good player even at Championship level.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

36 appearances in a Championship winning team suggests otherwise.

We are trying to get better Lakeyo, by your logic we should ne playing the same team as 2 years ago. 

Just to make it clear, got no probs if Kenny sticks around, but as I said earlier,  if he's falling down the pecking order  and we are improving  , it makes sense to cash in.

Please let this be true, nothing personal against the guy, but simply don't see what he genuinely offers and would play any of our other options over him, including Leitner.

Leitner and Trybull contributed as much if not more in the league winning season. Along with Kenny none were good enough at Premiership level.
Time to move on and offload, decent money for Kenny has to be taken. 

3 hours ago, paddycanary said:

My view is that we need to be looking to improve the team and developing talent that could step up and play EPL level.   I don’t think that will happen with the likes of Kenny and Marco around... think we should have Sorensen and Martin ahead of them in the pecking order to achieve that overall improvement.   Doubt we’d get a better offer than £3-4 mill for Kenny so should take it, that would help towards a replacement.   A decent proven replacement is likely to be £10m and we will likely have to bite the bullet next time around!   

3 hours ago, kirku said:

£3m? You've got to be joking. He's worth at least double that

No one outside the EPL has any money.   Who do you think is going to pay any more than that?    Nothing against Kenny but doubt we would even get that much.     Bear in mind we tried and failed to offload Trybull and Leitner.   

3 hours ago, kirku said:

Not in this market he isn't....... most clubs are skint and he isn't Premier League standard. Couldn't even give away Leitner and Trybull. 

Bare in mind that the highest fee paid for a centre midfielder by a Championship club this summer was £4.5m, for Harry Arter, who is simply a better player.

Norwich fans seem to over value our players, if you throw around values of £10m+ for everybody in our squad then why were we so pathetic last season? Its because many of our players were Championship standard, like McLean, and if you are Championship standard and 29 years old then you aren't worth at least double of £3m.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

Considering how highly farke rates him

Farke can change his opinion on players very quickly.

Only took Farke 6 months to switch from ''best midfielder in the Championship'' to persona non-grata with Moritz Leitner.

And a similar length of time between new contract for ''club legend'' Russell Martin to him ushered out of the door.

And sometimes managers big up their players in public because they are trying to give them a bit of confidence, thought about that? 

4 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

Considering how highly farke rates him, him, on a long term contract and a good age and international, I think 3 or 4 million seems low 

Kenny McLean probably banging on the door begging to be allowed to play for his boyhood team Rangers will help to bring the fee down, and there is some benefit to selling to a team in a different country.

On Football Manager I accepted an offer of £36m for Emi Beundia from Boca in Argentina as he kept having a strop, when I could have got £56m from a divisional rival 🤣

3 hours ago, kirku said:

I find it hard to pick out any club who might be willing to pay north of 3m for Kenny. And as Geddy mentioned above, we had trouble trying to shift Tommy T & Leitner over the summer, players of arguably a similar ability level going by the last Champo season. 

Personally, I don't really see why we would sell him mid-season, unless he wants out. He's likely to see plenty of pitch time over the next two months, & probably beyond that. If we do achieve promotion, we'll require an upgrade. If not, he's a decent option to have around. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Only took Farke 6 months to switch from ''best midfielder in the Championship'' to persona non-grata with Moritz Leitner.

And a similar length of time between new contract for ''club legend'' Russell Martin to him ushered out of the door.

And sometimes managers big up their players in public because they are trying to give them a bit of confidence, thought about that? 

And sometimes managers big up their players in public because they are trying to give them a bit of confidence, thought about that?  - what's that got to do with what I was saying about his value? "Thought about that?" - just rude there mate. 

And then you next post you go on about what you do in football manager. Uh huh, wtf you on about? How is that even relevant o_0

27 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Also, clearly something has happened personally with Mo and DF. Surely can't be from a professional view point (in terms of talent and what he brings to the team, obviously it could be his training and attitude etc) and I can only really comment on what we know now, which is how DF rates him now.

Unsure what happened with RM, anyone know?

1 hour ago, NeymarSmith said:

How is that even relevant

There are players who were playing in the Championship last season who are now in non-league because of the way the football economy is right now. 

So if you can't see the blatant reality and remain seemingly oblivious to what is going on the world economically, and the carnage that having no gate receipts is doing to football finances across the world, then thought I may as well throw in a random line about a computer game. 

Kenny McLean is not Premier League standard, and therefore isn't going to reach silly money at almost 29 years of age. 

To keep it relevant, then highest transfer fee paid by each Championship club this summer:

• Barnsley - £1.26m
  • Birmingham - £2.49m
  • Blackburn - £450k
  • Bournemouth - £0
  • Brentford - £5m
  • Bristol City - £0
  • Cardiff - £1.98m
  • Coventry - £1.35m
  • Derby - £3.87m
  • Huddersfield - £630k
  • Luton - £0
  • Middlesbrough - £2.7m
  • Millwall - £0
  • Norwich - £2.97m
  • Notts Forest - £4.95m
  • Preston - £1.35m
  • QPR - £2.43m
  • Reading - £3.51m
  • Rotherham - £250k
  • Sheffield Wed - £500k
  • Swansea - £800k
  • Stoke - £1.98m
  • Watford - £0
  • Wycombe - £0

We are the leagues second biggest spenders this season, having spent £8.99m in total. Nottingham Forest spent £13.45m. Six clubs didn't pay a single transfer fee, made possible because there has been a record number of free agents. Clubs are broke across Europe, that's why we're stuck with Leitner and Drmic. 

That's the financial reality, so when you say this...

6 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

I think 3 or 4 million seems low 

Then no, it doesn't sound low at all, it actually sounds very high. For a player who is 29 before the transfer window, who can't currently get a game. If he moved to a Championship side for £4m that would be the third highest incoming transfer fee this season in the Championship. 

You'd have to massively over rate him to consider £4m low in this climate. 

Rangers signed Kemar Roofe for just £4.5m.... and they paid less than that for Hagi, 22 year old Romanian International who is rated as better than Dennis Man. There are countless bargains to be had in football right now, market values have drastically fallen for all but top level players. 

I'd be surprised if we got any more than £3m for McLean, wouldn't be surprised if it were considerably less. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NeymarSmith said:

Unsure what happened with RM, anyone know?

Farke just realised he was actually a dogsh*t centre back and his legs had gone I should imagine. 

9 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

There are players who were playing in the Championship last season who are now in non-league because of the way the football economy is right now. 

So if you can't see the blatant reality and remain seemingly oblivious to what is going on the world economically, and the carnage that having no gate receipts is doing to football finances across the world, then thought I may as well throw in a random line about a computer game. 

Kenny McLean is not Premier League standard, and therefore isn't going to reach silly money at almost 29 years of age. 

To keep it relevant, then highest transfer fee paid by each Championship club this summer:

• Barnsley - £1.26m
  • Birmingham - £2.49m
  • Blackburn - £450k
  • Bournemouth - £0
  • Brentford - £5m
  • Bristol City - £0
  • Cardiff - £1.98m
  • Coventry - £1.35m
  • Derby - £3.87m
  • Huddersfield - £630k
  • Luton - £0
  • Middlesbrough - £2.7m
  • Millwall - £0
  • Norwich - £2.97m
  • Notts Forest - £4.95m
  • Preston - £1.35m
  • QPR - £2.43m
  • Reading - £3.51m
  • Rotherham - £250k
  • Sheffield Wed - £500k
  • Swansea - £800k
  • Stoke - £1.98m
  • Watford - £0
  • Wycombe - £0

We are the leagues second biggest spenders this season, having spent £8.99m in total. Nottingham Forest spent £13.45m. Six clubs didn't pay a single transfer fee, made possible because there has been a record number of free agents. Clubs are broke across Europe, that's why we're stuck with Leitner and Drmic. 

That's the financial reality, so when you say this...

Then no, it doesn't sound low at all, it actually sounds very high. For a player who is 29 before the transfer window, who can't currently get a game. If he moved to a Championship side for £4m that would be the third highest incoming transfer fee this season in the Championship. 

You'd have to massively over rate him to consider £4m low in this climate. 

Rangers signed Kemar Roofe for just £4.5m.... and they paid less than that for Hagi, 22 year old Romanian International who is rated as better than Dennis Man. There are countless bargains to be had in football right now, market values have drastically fallen for all but top level players. 

I'd be surprised if we got any more than £3m for McLean, wouldn't be surprised if it were considerably less. 

Fair play, I understand your point of view more now. I would still say that I'd be unhappy if the news by 5 o clock today was that we had agreed to sell McLean for £4m, but that's my opinion.

Thank you though for clearing your point up to me.

• Like 1

Interesting one this altough I doubt Rangers have the finances to make a deal that realistic.

Kenny is a useful squad option, seems like a good guy to have around the place  and never lets us down so on one level I would be disappointed to see him go but I am perhaps being a little selfish there because at the same time I don;t want to see him in our starting XI on a regular basis. I think we have improved significantly in midfield since Farke rid himself of his obsession with playing Kenny and Rupp has come in for him and personally I would also play Tettey or Sorensen (once he is not needed at left back) ahead of him as well. So on the face of it, he's one we could perhaps afford to let him go if the offer is right and if he wants the move to try and cement his Scotland squad spot ahead of the Euros.

13 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

My view is that we need to be looking to improve the team and developing talent that could step up and play EPL level.   I don’t think that will happen with the likes of Kenny and Marco around... think we should have Sorensen and Martin ahead of them in the pecking order to achieve that overall improvement.   Doubt we’d get a better offer than £3-4 mill for Kenny so should take it, that would help towards a replacement.   A decent proven replacement is likely to be £10m and we will likely have to bite the bullet next time around!   

Whilst I agree with you in principle, I think Stiepermann has a big role to play this season, not least because his link up with Pukki is helping the latter re-discover his confidence which could be crucial for us.  i also think we were a bit quick to ditch Stiepermann last season. He's a clever player who should be able to adapt to the top level. 

Where actually is leitner? I assume he's still about given i don;t remember hearing anything about him being sold or loaned out?