Jersey Canary

McLean to Rangers in January?

Yes please.

Kenny is slipping down the pecking order. He’s behind Skipp and Rupp. I dare say Sorensen would be a better option once Quintilla is back or if Mumba breaks through. I think we’re better off taking the cash and investing the cash elsewhere.  

2 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

Yes please.

Kenny is slipping down the pecking order. He’s behind Skipp and Rupp. I dare say Sorensen would be a better option once Quintilla is back or if Mumba breaks through. I think we’re better off taking the cash and investing the cash elsewhere.  

I don't exactly want to get a reputation for being a Kenny supporter.

But the hate this man gets is entirely unjustified. He's had a bad start to this season and has rightfully seen his position lost to Rupp. But he's still a talented player who is a top six championship player on his day.

Rangers would have to come up with a very attractive offer to justify selling, IMO.

• Like 11

I wonder what value you could put on McLean?

He signed a new contract this summer, do rangers have a big budget? He would be a good player for that team and league. I don't think a star player but again a good one, so again that may effect his value.

If we do go up this year would he get playing time? I would say no. I do think we would need some premiership experience in the middle, someone with 3 or 4 years in that league. Of course that all depends if we go up.

I could see it happening if Lungi gets some more playing time in the middle once xavi is back at left back.

I like Kenny and he's a useful player to have in the squad, even if he isn't a regular starter. 

However, he isn't indispensable and if Rangers can make us a decent offer then I wouldn't be opposed to thanking Kenny for some crucial goals (Bristol City, Manchester City) and letting him be on his way. We still have Skipp, Rupp, Sorensen, Tettey and Vrancic for two central midfield places- although we'd need a bit of restructuring next summer as at least two, probably three, of those five won't be here.

• Like 1

Think that's a good move for Kenny to be fair. Consistently in the running for titles and European football, and Rupp's definitely showing himself the better player right now. That said, Kenny's a good back-up at Premiership level and as @Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man put it, he's useful to have around.

If we've got a youngster coming along who's looking quite close (@Bethnal Yellow and Green seemed to say in previous posts re. the youth team that Hondermarck could be coming along best so far) then I'd be up for the sale, thank Kenny for pretty good service and some damned funny celebrations when we won the Championship, and wish him the best of luck in winning titles north of the border.

35 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Sun? Ah, untrue and made up then.

Seriously though rangers would be a good move for him. I would miss him, wouldn't say hes a great footballer but hes a decent backup player and an all around decent bloke too.

If we do go up this season then everybody, especially Farke and Webber, should be fully aware of the players who won't quite be up to the mark next season.

What was the expression? The inbetweeners? inbetwenies? Anyhow, back-up players at best. If we stay put, then it's more difficult. We will probably lose Skipp either way and AT will probably and finally be put out to grass in his homeland.

Kenny McClean has proven to be a decent player at NCFC and has had his moments, but he and a few others may well be considered redundant if we are to finally succeed in the Premier League, ie. avoid relegation at the first attempt.

What price his services? Probably around £5m, possibly more but do Rangers have the cash available?

Edited by BroadstairsR

The thing with McLean and to a greater extent Hanley is that both have a reason to play out of their skins now, with them only Scotland squad players and therefore not assured of going to the Euros. I wouldn't be inclined to let McLean go

Looks like Webber has converted a few posters into putting pounds, shillings and pence at the top of the priority list when considering what a player brings to the squad. What a player brings to the squad in terms of ability has dropped down the pecking order or so it seems to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Looks like Webber has converted a few posters into putting pounds, shillings and pence at the top of the priority list when considering what a player brings to the squad. What a player brings to the squad in terms of ability has dropped down the pecking order or so it seems to me.

You may not have  noticed  but we went decimal with our currency  some time ago. Do keep up.

What has dropped down the pecking order is.....

kenny McLean !!!so if the management think  we have better coming through and we can get far more for KM than we paid, that's the project/ plan/ new direction/ whatever.....in action right there. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Alternatively, it could just be a case of: could we sign players that bring more to the squad than McLean for the price we'd get for him?

It's a tricky one with McLean. I think he probably contributes more to the squad behind the scenes than his minutes on the pitch suggest, but ultimately he's now only a squad player in a position that we're very well stocked in. 

As I said before, if we can get a decent fee for him then I wouldn't be opposed to letting him go and reinvesting the money in a defender or two, just to add competition for places and provide depth.

As our squad quality improves across  the board then there will be those whose services are no longer required, if they sell for more than we paid, and their replacement is superior/cheaper/ younger/more versatile...is that not a good thing?

After saying all that I'm not gonna get me knickers in a twist about an article in the Sun which is then picked up by clickbait central and aggregator  of tripe,NewsNow.

Is Cambridgeshire Canary the living embodiment of  NewsNow?

Id rather keep him if its just going to be a bog standard fee. If they want to overpay for him and give us 6 or 7 mill then I imagine we could get a similar player with a bit more potential in.

• Like 4

He was loosely linked with a £10m move to West Ham last year... if we got near that then I'd be getting him sold! Does leave us a tad light but maybe a reason to bring leitner back from the cold? Rupp and Skipp is clearly the number 1 partnership with Vrancic there if we need a cutting edge and Tettey if we need more grit and pragmatism

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

If we do go up this season then everybody, especially Farke and Webber, should be fully aware of the players who won't quite be up to the mark next season.

What was the expression? The inbetweeners? inbetwenies? Anyhow, back-up players at best. If we stay put, then it's more difficult. We will probably lose Skipp either way and AT will probably and finally be put out to grass in his homeland.

Kenny McClean has proven to be a decent player at NCFC and has had his moments, but he and a few others may well be considered redundant if we are to finally succeed in the Premier League, ie. avoid relegation at the first attempt.

What price his services? Probably around £5m, possibly more but do Rangers have the cash available?

If we get promoted I would have thought Skipp would stay for another season. 

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Well why not when the game is now decided by other people's money being top of the priority list.

44 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

If we get promoted I would have thought Skipp would stay for another season. 

That would be a very good thing, from what we've seen  from him so far. This would be easier to gauge as a possibility if we knew where, if at all , Skipp features in Spurs plans for next season. Wait and see I suppose.

If we are to go up and Skipp is an option I think that is a good move but I would say I think I would rather we purchase a more proven player. It is going to cost some money but if we go up we need to spend again in that key midfield position. Skipp would be a good player to have alongside, but we aren't up yet.

Let's see what happens this season, if there is an offer on the table in january and we feel we are moving forward and upwards then happy to move on.

It would be interesting to see the value, the new contract would have a bit of a say there too.

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Id rather keep him if its just going to be a bog standard fee. If they want to overpay for him and give us 6 or 7 mill then I imagine we could get a similar player with a bit more potential in.

All for this. To me, there isn't much to choose from rupp or McLean. Both seem to do a similar job and have similar passing and engines and rupp is the man in form at present.

It's needs to be towards 7m so we can look at spending that fee back into the team. Four doesn't really seem enough

In the scheme of things, continuity of team development is a must.    The central midfield positions require major improvement so such a move (if it were true 'The Sun'!!!) makes sense for both the player and the club.    We have Rupp, Sorensen, Tettey, Vrancic, Sitti and youths waiting in the wings.,.. and Skipp for this season.     Whatever happens, if we go up, it will be a priority to ensure this position is adequately covered and that will likely require an expensive signing even if Sorensen steps up to partner Rupp.    Tettey and Skipp will be elsewhere and McLean did his best last season but its quite evident the EPL is a step too far.   Highly likely, we could get by to the end of the season without Kenny.

Ultimately, £3m is a more likely max. fee (Rangers aren't a rich club still) but any amount should be ring-fenced to allow for the necessary replacements.  

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

All for this. To me, there isn't much to choose from rupp or McLean. Both seem to do a similar job and have similar passing and engines and rupp is the man in form at present.

It's needs to be towards 7m so we can look at spending that fee back into the team. Four doesn't really seem enough

1 minute ago, NeymarSmith said:

Would imagine £7m to be fantasy figures, particularly for Rangers.   Would not be disappointed if we recovered £3m, any more is a bonus of course.   I can't see a long-term future for Kenny given that we need to improve and there are other options now so it makes sense to move on.