Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

England v Belguim predictions and match thread

Just my own personal view but I’ve never been keen on a non-English England manager. It then becomes just a job rather than a passion and what should be, the pinnacle of an English managers career.

In many ways I think I would be happier with that performance last night as an England fan than if I were a Belgium fan. I felt a draw or a narrow 1-0 or 2-1 win to England would've been a much fairer reflection of the play. 

I do agree with a lot of irks about Southgate's selections are starting line ups, but I do think he has us playing to near the sum of our parts. I don't see us ever playing better against Belgium away with the line up we had available to us - the fact the result didn't come our way was nothing to the discredit of Southgate IMO.

And in fairness to him, its probably a bit more difficult for a national team manager to integrate players just off the back of short term form, as there is a balance to be had with those players and the players he has formerly entrusted who are familiar with his system and each other (I.e. Trippier, Dier, Pickford). The points raised about Bellingham's selection have been correct however. 

In a way its good that there is plenty of merit in these arguments as it shows there is lots of competition for places! There's always going to be a group of fans who are unhappy one way or another. 

15 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Wot Hank said 

All true but still huge disappointment to me that we missed out to Denmark (no disrespect).

Another bugbear: Our press were quoting Belgium as the world’s no.1 ranked team.. but forgot to say England are ranked fourth, so wasn’t exactly David v. Big G. As big a drop off as there is from the top 3 down... and it’s outdated, so we won’t fare so well following the next update...

Do you wanna blow all the goodwill you built up from a delightful semi-final run in the 2018 World Cup? Because starting f**king Declan Rice and Jordan Henderson in the middle is how you do that!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

Do you wanna blow all the goodwill you built up from a delightful semi-final run in the 2018 World Cup? Because starting f**king Declan Rice and Jordan Henderson in the middle is how you do that!

Henderson I can handle, and shows glimpses of superb play when in midfield (as he did in Russia). But what Southgate sees in Declan Rice, I have no idea. No vision, passing ability (other than backwards) or quality what so ever. 

That added to the worst backline in 30 years... Mings, Dier, Walker – ironically all adjectives to describe our national team’s defence!

12 minutes ago, Robornio said:

Henderson I can handle, and shows glimpses of superb play when in midfield (as he did in Russia). But what Southgate sees in Declan Rice, I have no idea. No vision, passing ability (other than backwards) or quality what so ever. 

That added to the worst backline in 30 years... Mings, Dier, Walker – ironically all adjectives to describe our national team’s defence!

People love giving Henderson a hard time.. The guy captined Liverpool to winning both the Prem and the Champions Leauge, have some respect

Henderson isn't full of natural flare but he is still a very good player and an extremely hard worker.

He's worth his place.

• Like 1

Our midfield was two full backs and two holding players.

We can boast any amount of top front three players and the emergence of Grealish gives extra hope.

Forget the defence, Belgium are rated top and they were poor at the back. Just the numbers kept us from scoring.

But midfield is normally where the great international teams succeed. And ours was just dull.

Maddison and Foden could both slip into that midfield and add something going forward.

Three at the back is not working. Try the diamond formation with Grealish at the top of it with Winks or Henderson at the base.

44 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Three at the back is not working. Try the diamond formation with Grealish at the top of it with Winks or Henderson at the base.

Three at the back might work with the right people in the 3 and the right people on the width. I find Trippier is too lightweight. Yeah he can put a good ball when he gets the time and space in but he doesn't carry enough threat.

As for midfield, I'd rather see someone with a little more zip in there next to Henderson. Winks is a good player but doesn't quite have that edge to his game.

45 minutes ago, GJP said:

Three at the back might work with the right people in the 3 and the right people on the width. I find Trippier is too lightweight. Yeah he can put a good ball when he gets the time and space in but he doesn't carry enough threat.

As for midfield, I'd rather see someone with a little more zip in there next to Henderson. Winks is a good player but doesn't quite have that edge to his game.

I wouldn't want Winks and Henderson either. I was suggesting one of either Henderson or Winks. 

I was thing something like, ignoring defence

Winks or Henderson

Rashford                                  Maddison

Grealish

Kane                              Sterling

That still leaves players like Foden, Mount, Sancho, Calvert Lewin, Greenwood, Ward Prowse etc.