Sign in to follow this  
gissing canary

january transfer window - over priced players

Ok so everyone agrees we need players, and most of us want some more young hungry players, to build for next season, as this season does appear to be a right off.But... I really dont want over pay for players, in my opinion we over paid for hughes, as missed out and other targets and time was starting to run out in the summer so we over paid.Now although i want halford, davenport and earnshaw here, i dont wanna see us paying over the odds.If we dont sign anyone i will be upset, but rather that than overpay like we did on etuhu and hughes, both in my books panick signings, or bring in old players who wont be here next season, i say we get it right and stick to our guns on prices.Earnshaw 2mill yes.3mill or 3.5mill and think we are massively overpaying.i dont want anymore 30somethings on loan, wait and get the signings right.What does anyone else think, as I dont believe we will get relegated, or promoted, so better to pay right prices,a dn get the right players.

i think that you have a good point, but i have a couple of thoughts to add. firstly, EVERY player for sale in january will be over priced. Bearing in mind that Cardiff could make the play offs - and what happened to west ham last season -the sale of jerome could indirectly cost Cardiff a season in the land of milk and honey. If you were a cardiff supporter would you want to sell you prized asset for £2m ? I dont think so. Secondly, i dont think that west ham paid silly money for Ashton, but they did over pay over the odds. Thats just the way the market works and why there shouldnt be a transfer window for non-prem clubs. To sell at over the odds and look for a bargain is total trot - its either a way of keeping the money (maybe for a new manager) or taking mid table boredom and saving the powder until later. Maybe the club will be looking at 6 month loans and using cash for wages, but i am fed up with all of the loans.

I agree, yet i personally don''t believe 3 million for Earnshaw is massivley over-priced. he is the type of player who entertains (more season ticket sales) and has a great goals to game ratio in division 1.

I had great expectations after the Ashton transfer. After all, negotiations had been ongoing for some time, the club have admitted that the lad wanted to leave and lets face it, we weren''t going to stand in his way anymore than we stood in Francis'' way- we just had to push for the best price for us we could, and quite rightly so. So why my great expectations ? Well, I was convinced that we would have replacements all sorted out during the two weeks or so that the Ashton negotiations took. I find it very hard to understand that we couldn''t sort something out, we have now left everything to the last minute (as for the Francis situation) and we are finding it very difficult to buy anybody.

Whether you regard Norwich City as a football club, a business, or perhaps both, it is a very poor way to operate. Making the mistake once is understandable, not learning from it is unforgiveable. Even if we do get anybody in now, you can be sure that we are paying an inflated price because the selling club is well aware of what money we received for Ashton.

I draw from this, two possible conclusions. First is that Mr. Doncaster isn''t half as clever a businessman as he would like to think he is. Second is that he may indeed be a clever businessman and between himself and the rest of the board they have decided not to entrust the money to the current manager who they are considering relieving of his position in the Summer.

Mark .Y.