Sign in to follow this  
The Bristol Nest

Bolton Wanderers v Salford City

2 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Wow. This is a big club on the way down against a made up club on the way up. 

Made me chuckle Nesto!!! Surely all Clubs were  ' made up' at some point. We were made up in 1902.

• Haha 1

Come on Bolton , up the Trotters !! Stuff Salford . Sends a shiver down my spine thinking what Bolton fans have gone through . Can you imagine if it were us ? 
Truly terrifying.

I’ve scared myself now . I think a 🥃 required. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

Come on Bolton , up the Trotters !! Stuff Salford . Sends a shiver down my spine thinking what Bolton fans have gone through . Can you imagine if it were us ? 
Truly terrifying.

I’ve scared myself now . I think a 🥃 required. 

Could have been Norwich without some luck. 

52 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Wow. This is a big club on the way down against a made up club on the way up. 

Indeed .

As an aside Bristol Nest . Did I meet you at Sheff Wednesday away in 2018 when we won 4-0 ? I was walking up the hill with my youngest son to what was the away pub , you were walking down , as it wasn’t an away pub any more ! We ended up in a bar on the Don right near Hillsborough . Can’t be many Norwich fans Bristol way . Apologies if it wasn’t you ! 

Just now, Pockthorpe said:

Indeed .

As an aside Bristol Nest . Did I meet you at Sheff Wednesday away in 2018 when we won 4-0 ? I was walking up the hill with my youngest son to what was the away pub , you were walking down , as it wasn’t an away pub any more ! We ended up in a bar on the Don right near Hillsborough . Can’t be many Norwich fans Bristol way . Apologies if it wasn’t you ! 

If I was great company and charming then obviously it was me. In reality there are a few Canaries in Bristol as both are "rural cities" Next time Pockthorpe we shall have a beer. I wasn't at that game. Soz.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pockthorpe said:

Indeed .

Hi Pockthorpe, it was me and I was at the game using the excuse of coming up to see my stepson who was at Sheffield Uni, the game produced an unexpected result! 

16 minutes ago, Wroxham Bridge said:

Hi Pockthorpe, it was me and I was at the game using the excuse of coming up to see my stepson who was at Sheffield Uni, the game produced an unexpected result! 

Hello again !! Yes I remember now you were also up to see your stepson. The Riverside Terrace and bar ? My son had not long started at Bristol Uni . Am I right in thinking you’re in the Bristol area or have I got that completely wrong ! 
Hope you’re keeping well and would be great to bump into you at another away game . Another 4-0 would do us well !

As a Canary living in Bolton, it probably might be an idea to provide a local view.

Some would say the rot began when Allardyce left the club in 2006-07 as the club couldn't quite finance matters to push on even further. Much of that was provided by a local businessman called Eddie Davies when he became part of a consortium that took over the club, and then Allardyce got the club settled into the Premiership with 4 consecutive top-8 finishes. And he pissed off large swathes of the media who couldn't stand how a northern club from a poorer part of the country often shook up more fancied teams on a more regular basis. *cough, Arsenal, cough, Arsene Wenger, cough.

Fell down to the Championship and it became clear Bolton had lived beyond its means in trying to get back. So, when some of us complain about our finances, this next bit should be the warning.

December 2015 and Bolton were over £170 million in debt, but much of it was their owner Eddie Davies (which later got written off when Bolton was sold) and HMRC issued a winding-up order. A takeover in 2016 promised something as a winding-up order was fought off but it was a false dawn and Bolton ended up with one of the most window-licking chancers in charge, called Ken Anderson. Promises upon promises of finding better investment came and went and Bolton got worse and worse. It came to a head in the summer of 2019 when prolonged negotiations with the Football Ventures group nearly saw the club do a Bury at the same time as Bury but a last-minute takeover salvaged the club. They went down from League One to League Two now but are being run on more financially prudent lines than before.

There's obviously a lot more to it than that, but Bolton's current plight is a warning about living beyond your means, unsuccessfully gambling on getting back to the Premiership when falling out of there, and poor ownership from those who don't care about the club and basically act as asset strippers can do.

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

I was at Bolton when we beat them 4-0 in the Championship, we got promoted, they got relegated.

The date of that game was 16th Feb 2019!

Was it not 5-0 ?

31 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Was it not 5-0 ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47180826

https://www.skysports.com/football/bolton-vs-norwich/392929

Bolton 0-4 Norwich: Teemu Pukki inspires Canaries to easy win as they return to top

Marco Stiepermann and Emiliano Buendia also on target for Daniel Farke's side

You must be thinking of another game.

30 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47180826

https://www.skysports.com/football/bolton-vs-norwich/392929

Bolton 0-4 Norwich: Teemu Pukki inspires Canaries to easy win as they return to top

Marco Stiepermann and Emiliano Buendia also on target for Daniel Farke's side

You must be thinking of another game.

I was there that day and had it in my mind we scored 5 but i now recall that Kenny McClean missed a penalty. 😜

12 hours ago, Pockthorpe said:

Hello again !! Yes I remember now you were also up to see your stepson. The Riverside Terrace and bar ? My son had not long started at Bristol Uni . Am I right in thinking you’re in the Bristol area or have I got that completely wrong ! 
Hope you’re keeping well and would be great to bump into you at another away game . Another 4-0 would do us well !

If the vaccine is effective, we can all return to watching live games and then I'm sure we will bump into each other again, I hope your son is staying safe in Brizzle, I live halfway between Bath and Bristol.

• Like 1