East Rider

Adam Idah starts for Ireland

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Is this irony?  Isn't another of our strikers, Morris, there doing this?  Or maybe not as he was on the bench today.

Looks like he started 3 games in 8 days with last being 11th November, so not really odd that he's rested today otherwise that would be 4 games in 11 days... would expect some rotation? 

On 12/11/2020 at 21:10, Branston Pickle said:

What does Ian Wright know...?.😕

About timing runs into the box to score goals?

Yeah, nothing probably.

9 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not good at picking up on sarcasm, are you?!

My bad...difficult to tell on here sometimes.

To be fair, Wright was not playing international football-- as sole striker- at 19. At that age he was not good enough to play in the Football League. 

Idah's link play is good and part of his game is to take defenders out of the way to create space for others. On a night when the rest of his team played so badly, it's unfair to pick on a young player. 

Wright was a late developer, he had the benefit of playing off the likes of Mark Bright and Alan Smith. The game has changed now and I regard him more of a media wh0re than a international football expert. 

He played 33 times for England- scored 9 although 4 in one game v San Marino and 2 against Moldova, so that's 28 games out of 33 he failed to score. 

Funny how his comments can provoke people to change their opinion of our player. He is getting better experience at international level than he would in a lower division. 

I missed Wright's comments at the time but it sounds like he was right. And to be fair, the guy does understand football and does offer insight.

It was when the guy on the right for Ireland (Horgan, I think) cut the ball across the 6 yard box. It was obvious that was the ball he would look to play when he got on it but Idah hadn't read it.

But then, realistically, Idah is not a world class prospect. He's a good prospect for a club of our size.

2 hours ago, curious yellow said:

To be fair, Wright was not playing international football-- as sole striker- at 19. At that age he was not good enough to play in the Football League. 

Idah's link play is good and part of his game is to take defenders out of the way to create space for others. On a night when the rest of his team played so badly, it's unfair to pick on a young player. 

Wright was a late developer, he had the benefit of playing off the likes of Mark Bright and Alan Smith. The game has changed now and I regard him more of a media wh0re than a international football expert. 

He played 33 times for England- scored 9 although 4 in one game v San Marino and 2 against Moldova, so that's 28 games out of 33 he failed to score. 

Funny how his comments can provoke people to change their opinion of our player. He is getting better experience at international level than he would in a lower division. 

Too much sense there to be put all in one post Curioso 😉. Idah was playing well until England scored, Ireland lost direction and there was no cohesion to their play.  

Ian Wright, though a likeable character, is not an analyst to any extent. His MOTD appearances show a lack of knowledge of players in general, his awareness of the multitude of different styles of play lack depth and when compared to Jermaine Jenas , seems childlike in his appraisal of games.

I agree that Idah is getting good minutes playing for ireland, Steven Kenny, though no Pep just yet has done very we indeed in his previous jobs, bringing in a slick ,on the ground, pass n move game , not dissimilar to ours. Both Dundalk and Ireland u21s were good to watch , the 21s in particular acheived success against bigger opposition. 

As for Wright being an influencer on some posters, that says more about them than it does about him. 

I think Wright's delivery sometimes leads people to assume he's not offering insight. But he is. Worth listening to.

On 15/11/2020 at 19:50, shefcanary said:

Anyone watch today?  He played 75 minutes but not mentioned in the BBC report.  How'd he do?

Started well, but as usual when ireland went to pieces ,he became anonymous. Injured before HT, played on. Just heard on Irish Radio he's out injured for tomorrows game v Bulgaria......no Ideah(ha!) how serious the injury is. Fingers crossed .

8 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Started well, but as usual when ireland went to pieces ,he became anonymous. Injured before HT, played on. Just heard on Irish Radio he's out injured for tomorrows game v Bulgaria......no Ideah(ha!) how serious the injury is. Fingers crossed .

Thanks.  One injury - hopefully no more.  Eire mustbe struggling for an 11 let alone full subs bench given all the covid cases.

22 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Thanks.  One injury - hopefully no more.  Eire mustbe struggling for an 11 let alone full subs bench given all the covid cases.

13 first teamers out combination  of injuries and covid  , unsure of how many of each  , mostly injuries  I think. Had to call up 2 from Shamrock Rovers and Troy Parrott  from u21.... which is a shame  for idah as him an Parrott  are a deadly combo....they 'get' each other and have been banging them in since u15s, Parrott is class and a year younger than idah.