East Rider

Adam Idah starts for Ireland

Not dissing Idah, but stepping back a bit, Ireland must be desperate if they have to start with a championship team's sub.  Or Farke has it completely wrong?  🤔

Either way, I hope Adam scores and has fun tonight but more importantly avoids injury. Its a friendly, no pressure.

41 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Some tidy work so far by him. Shame the rest are a shambles. 

Sadly, Ireland are gash. There's 3

• Like 1

2 hours ago, overthebordercanary said:

Ian wright had a go that he wasn't making any runs to get into the box

He was right too. For a striker he showed a strange lack of desire to get into goalscoring areas when his teammates had the ball out wide.

8 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

What does Ian Wright know...?.😕

Actually I agree with him on this one. I had thought the same, especially when those two dangerous crosses came in from the right early doors and I was left wondering just why Idah was nowhere to be seen.

Early days for the youngster though. He seemed desperate to get involved, but then, on a few occasions, took the easy option of passing sideways rather than using his pace and power to threaten.

Clearly still raw at international level, and he was up against the world's most expensive defender apparently. He'll come good.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Not dissing Idah, but stepping back a bit, Ireland must be desperate if they have to start with a championship team's sub.  Or Farke has it completely wrong?  🤔

I don't get it, why would this mean that Farke has got something wrong? By giving him minutes in 7 out of the 8 league games he has been eligible for this season?

Ireland seem to have several good young prospects up front and it says a lot about how much they rate Idah that he'd get the nod over Connolly and Parrot, but suspect they'd be starting McGoldrick if he hadn't retired a week ago, or Shane Long if he'd been getting minutes at club level.

They've always played Championship players though, even in their World Cup 94 squad they went with a player who was in his third season at Tranmere. I mean, granted it was John Aldridge who had also played for Liverpool and in La Liga, but at that point in time he was in his third season at Tranmere in the second tier. 

Idah probably showed against Wycombe why Farke isn't trusting him to start games yet, when he a rush of blood to the head led to a 3 game suspension. Had that occurred at the end of the first half rather than at the end of the second half then it would have ruined the game for us and lost us points.

I'm sure Farke is fully aware of how good Idah could become, and that he's more talented than Hugill, but sometimes good to keep young players hungry and not give them too much too soon.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I believe the problem for Adam Idah was that after that amazing hat trick at Preston in the cup, everyone expected him to get some game time in the prem after. That just didn't happen, which was for me a mistake, as his confidence was high. Since then, he's probably been understandably a bit disappointed.

Not a great showing, but that could be said for Ireland in general. However, I'm not unhappy to see him get 70 minutes in his legs when he's not had much game time recently due to that suspension. So, whilst I hoped to see more, I'm happy to see him stay match-sharp.

11 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't get it, why would this mean that Farke has got something wrong? By giving him minutes in 7 out of the 8 league games he has been eligible for this season?

Ireland seem to have several good young prospects up front and it says a lot about how much they rate Idah that he'd get the nod over Connolly and Parrot, but suspect they'd be starting McGoldrick if he hadn't retired a week ago, or Shane Long if he'd been getting minutes at club level.

They've always played Championship players though, even in their World Cup 94 squad they went with a player who was in his third season at Tranmere. I mean, granted it was John Aldridge who had also played for Liverpool and in La Liga, but at that point in time he was in his third season at Tranmere in the second tier. 

Idah probably showed against Wycombe why Farke isn't trusting him to start games yet, when he a rush of blood to the head led to a 3 game suspension. Had that occurred at the end of the first half rather than at the end of the second half then it would have ruined the game for us and lost us points.

I'm sure Farke is fully aware of how good Idah could become, and that he's more talented than Hugill, but sometimes good to keep young players hungry and not give them too much too soon.

Someone missed the tongue in my cheek!  

36 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Can never be too sure on here, apologies.

No worries!  Must remember the emoji!🙂🤭

Idah did OK and will have gained useful experience. The service was poor, Wright was out of order-I suppose he's got a lot on his mind, working for the ITV, BBC and making cr@p adverts. 

2 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

Idah needs to go out on loan in my view. He doesn’t quite look ready for Championship football but could do with regular games somewhere. 

Was he not all ready and set for a loan to Doncaster that fell apart due to his cup hatrick, srbenys sale and Drmics... well, less said about him the better but I'm sure you get what I'm on about

I tend to agree that he needs to go out and get some game time, he’s not going to improve much with cameo appearances for us.

We’re paying Drmic so we might as well use him for the last 10 mins ‘throw on another striker’ sub. He may be re motivated now as scoring even a couple of goals might get him a move in January.

I agree that he should go out on loan for the second half of the season, but what would we do about numbers? 

Sign a striker on loan ourselves, or bring Drmic back into the frame? 

• Like 1

Sinani if it’s possible to get him back?

Half a season in league one would do Idah the world of good. 

Edited by Gordon Bennett

5 hours ago, rock bus said:

I tend to agree that he needs to go out and get some game time, he’s not going to improve much with cameo appearances for us.

We’re paying Drmic so we might as well use him for the last 10 mins ‘throw on another striker’ sub. He may be re motivated now as scoring even a couple of goals might get him a move in January.

Can't agree with that. In all the time Drmic has been with us, I've not seen one decent shot on target from him, wheras Idah is strong and a good physical presence and at least he gets shots on target with power now and again and has scored this seaason already.  Yes, he has a lot to learn, but I'd rather he was playing than someone who has never made any impression at all.

• Like 1

I think Idah has great physical attributes especially for his age. Strong and quick and a powerful shot.

Unfortunately he doesn't have a natural footballing brain to be in the right place at the right time and make the right decisions. Few players have it all, so his football brain is going to have to be coached into him.

I wouldn't send him on loan as he has been getting decent minutes with us so far.

1 hour ago, Jersey Canary said:

MK Dons would be a good place for him with Cameron Jerome there to learn off. 

Is this irony?  Isn't another of our strikers, Morris, there doing this?  Or maybe not as he was on the bench today.

Why would a lad starting for Ireland and involved with us drop down to League 1?   Why would we let him.   There’s good argument for him to go out on loan but there’s no point him dropping below the Championship if he did.    Up to the club to find a team where he’s likely to start.   That said, an injury to Pukki and he’s getting that chance.   Much more likely he’ll suit our game than Hugill will.   
Drmic not worth bothering with, prefer they brought in Omotoye for the 10-20 min cameos.   Sinani back in Jan would be a good shout too, if that’s an option.    

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

I think Idah has great physical attributes especially for his age. Strong and quick and a powerful shot.

Unfortunately he doesn't have a natural footballing brain to be in the right place at the right time and make the right decisions. Few players have it all, so his football brain is going to have to be coached into him.

I wouldn't send him on loan as he has been getting decent minutes with us so far.

See I still have this slight worry that Carlton Morris will blow up as soon as we've released him.

Such a big unit with really good close control and quick feet and footballing intelligence, brings the ball down really well with his chest, wins headers and brings others into play and good at buying the foul.

In many ways reminiscent of big Grant Holt, and in terms of technical ability is simply a better player than Hugill. 

Just hasn't scored many goals as of yet, its a weird one. Heskey wasn't prolific though was he, basically a 1 in 6 man in the league. 

He's almost 25 and can't be considered a prospect forever, but at 24 Kieffer Moore was in the National League, and at 25 was an Ipswich reserve player on loan to League One, now he's the main man for Wales up front and a good Championship striker! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten