Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

President Biden

7 hours ago, king canary said:

While I almost never agree with you on here, you've always come across as a generally intelligent person. Do you genuinely believe this sort of rubbish?

Does the election college actually formally vote? If so then until they do he is plain Mr Biden.

Edited by Barbe bleu
Just noticed this is already clarified

No, he's President Elect Biden. Or just simply President to me and you. Do keep up. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SHRIMPER said:

You have been a LOSER all your life and will remain so. And a rabid altright racist into the bargain.

On the contrary. I voted for the winning side in the Brexit referendum, the 2017 General Election and the 2019 General Election. (And the largest group in the European Elections). So that makes me a four-times Winner. We'll ignore your little pee-pee at the end. Now tell us how you voted.

35 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Were there any outstanding judicial cases on November 10th 2016?

This thread should be renamed President anyone but Trump celebration thread. Are we that interested in US politics.

35 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Does the election college actually formally vote? If so then until they do he is plain Mr Biden.

Yes they do. This year on December 14th

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

Are there any non-vexatious ones at the moment?

None. It is all a delaying action to prevent the States from verifying their electoral results. i.e. drag this out until Dec 14 and give an excuse to the Republican Party who is in the majority in the State Assemblies of Arizona, Wisconsin, Georgia, Pennsylvania, to say "there was no decision made by the statutory date and therefore we are appointing our own set of electors”. A coup in plain sight. 

The other reason for them is it allows Trump to grift off his base one more time. For example in the very small print of their fundraising e-mail it declares that the first $8,000 ! from any contribution made to the "legal fund for protecting the election" goes to Trumps own political action committee (to pay off his campaign debts). More fraud in pain sight. 

Edited by Surfer

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

Have you looked at the lawsuits? They are all either nonsense or quibbling with tiny numbers of votes that wouldn't remotely change the results of the state they are in.

Sticking with the world's sorest loser isn't a great look.

2 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Better than being sick in the 'arris

That is true. Didn't you read my other post. I was given the all clear. Much to your chagrin.

So another commie lives to pester your evil, racist, fascist beliefs. And now you want to stereotype native Americans just like the days when your right wing hero with the girls name was making movies about shooting them.

At least Jools has some intelligence. You are lower than a snakes belly.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

On the contrary. I voted for the winning side in the Brexit referendum, the 2017 General Election and the 2019 General Election. (And the largest group in the European Elections). So that makes me a four-times Winner. We'll ignore your little pee-pee at the end. Now tell us how you voted.

That makes you a five times LOSER. The four times you have voted for the shower of sh it mentioned above. You are just a LOSER in life. That makes it five time LOSER. Sad part is that through your stupidity and others like you the UK and NI are the biggest losers of all.

Another example of the 'Biden effect', a few days in the job and the whole of Scotland is rejoicing.

No other President of the USA, not even Abe Lincoln, has done more to bring joy to the nation of Scotland. 😀

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

So another commie lives to pester your evil, racist, fascist beliefs. And now you want to stereotype native Americans just like the days when your right wing hero with the girls name was making movies about shooting them.

I think this is unfair.  John Wayne didn't make a lot of films about shooting native Americans. That description demeans a genre that proved itself more than capable of delivering subtle and sympathetic views of native Americans  and was equally capable of, and more concerned with, discussing the oppositions that existed in frontier life.

If you dismiss John Wayne films as offensive right wing nonsense you have spent at least some portion of your life abstaining from some truely great works of art.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

I think this is unfair.  John Wayne didn't make a lot of films about shooting native Americans. That description demeans a genre that proved itself more than capable of delivering subtle and sympathetic views of native Americans  and was equally capable of, and more concerned with, discussing the oppositions that existed in frontier life.

If you dismiss John Wayne films as offensive right wing nonsense you have spent at least some portion of your life abstaining from some truely great works of art.

John Wayne was a notorious extreme right-winger who openly avowed racist and homophobic views:

"In the interview with Playboy magazine from 1971, the actor born Marion Morrison states, among other things “I believe in white supremacy” and calls Midnight Cowboy “a story about two fags”.

"Many of the films that Wayne made rest on a completely racist ideal, which others and stigmatises non-white cultures, and claims America for white people."

He was president of the Motion Picture Alliance for the Preservation of American Ideals (1949-53), a right wing organisation that sought to uphold “the American way of life” in films. Wayne was one of the most vociferous activists in persecuting writers, directors and actors, such as  Sam Wanamaker and Dalton Trumbo for “un-American activities”, frequently putting them out of work. I highly recommend the film "Trumbo" if you want to see the level of persecution that Wayne amongst others visited upon their "left-wing" peers.

Modern-day westerns have sought to rid the genre of its former shameful shameful prejudices. However, I don't remember a western in which Wayne appears where Native American Indians are not either patronised as simpletons, or treated as unAmerican savages.

"Wayne would provide strong ammunition for that accusation the following year when he gave an incendiary, wide-ranging interview with Playboy. While talking about race relations in America, Wayne notoriously said, “I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility.”

Wayne also said, “I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.” Later in the interview, Wayne, whose Westerns, especially “The Searchers,” were accused of perpetuating stereotypes about Native Americans, hit back by accusing Native Americans of “selfishly trying to keep (North America) to themselves.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/02/09/john-wayne-is-a-racist-oscars-50-years-ago-struggled-with-a-new-world-order/

Edited by horsefly
added link
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

John Wayne was in reality, everything that Trump is now. I cannot separate the two. Big Jim McLain was a disgusting attempt to put up an "American Hero" and use propaganda to convince the US public there was a Red under every bed.

He crept round Hollywood snitching to the "UnAmerican Committee" about everyone he suspected. Ask Zoe Wanamaker about her fathers treatment and why so many fled to this country.

• Like 2

Just now, horsefly said:

John Wayne was a notorious extreme right-winger who openly avowed racist and homophobic views:

Hey,  thanks for taking an interest in my post.

I dont know John Wayne's opinions well enough to make any reaonable comment.   My post was about western films in general and specifically about westerns starring John Wayne. 

I believe that a lot of them are thematically very rich and thought provoking, and by no means should they be categorised as being about shooting native American Indians ( though as a part of history representation of this are understandably a feature of some).

If the John Wayne connection is uncomfortable would it help to call them a John Ford western instead? afterall it is his, in mu lowly opinion,  vision that is on most onscreen in the Wayne classics 

Honestly if you cannot watch Stagecoach or the Man who shot liberty valance without thinking that these films raise important questions about the very basis of American society and psyche you probably have no right to be on a forum giving an opinion on US politics.

2 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Honestly if you cannot watch Stagecoach or the Man who shot liberty valance without thinking that these films raise important questions about the very basis of American society and psyche you probably have no right to be on a forum giving an opinion on US politics.

Both utter tosh and patronising. Are you seriously suggesting that no one is allowed to comment on US politics if they haven't watched theses films? Jesus, get a grip man. I doubt half of the US has seen these films, what a ridiculous claim to make.

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

John Wayne was in reality, everything that Trump is now. I cannot separate the two. Big Jim McLain was a disgusting attempt to put up an "American Hero" and use propaganda to convince the US public there was a Red under every bed.

He crept round Hollywood snitching to the "UnAmerican Committee" about everyone he suspected. Ask Zoe Wanamaker about her fathers treatment and why so many fled to this country.

And you are entitled to that opinion but if you dismiss john fords work on the basis the his lead had views with which you disagree the corollary is surely that you must regard hattie mcdaniels role in gone with the wind as unworthy of consideration.

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

Both utter tosh and patronising. Are you seriously suggesting that no one is allowed to comment on US politics if they haven't watched theses films? Jesus, get a grip man. I doubt half of the US has seen these films, what a ridiculous claim to make.

No. Read it again. And do not willfully misinterpret.

I said clearly that if you cannot watch these films without those thoughts arising you have no right. I did not suggest that watching these films is required.

Clearly I am playing with the concept of 'rights' but honestly if you are so dead as to the themes that are addressed that you cannot see them i am not sure why I should regard your utterings as 'considered'. 

Anyway my key point is that the 'A' westerns are so much richer  visually,   thematically, and in terms of plot and characterisation than we might suppose. 

Sure they are genre driven but generic should not a term of insult.  On this point i urge anyone to watch the genre defining early work, like stage coach, high noon or (a bit later) liberty valance  and then see how the idioms of the genre are played with in the later unforgiven or gran torino

I suspect that everyone can think of a hundred plus films about which they could say the same things. And frankly I would not watch anything with John Wayne in given his hideous views and behaviour.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

I suspect that everyone can think of a hundred plus films about which they could say the same things. And frankly I would not watch anything with John Wayne in given his hideous views and behaviour.

Fair enough.  I think you are missing out but its your party and you can invite whoever you like.

For anyone else I honestly say watch those early films and then see how unforgiven and gran torino riff on the genre.

And for anyone who wants an excellent exploration of the right-wing American psyche of the late 40s and 50s, that saw many writers, artists, actors, directors etc imprisoned for their left-wing political beliefs, I recommend Trumbo.

5 minutes ago, horsefly said:

And for anyone who wants an excellent exploration of the right-wing American psyche of the late 40s and 50s, that saw many writers, artists, actors, directors etc imprisoned for their left-wing political beliefs, I recommend Trumbo.

Thanks bill, I might just do that.  Is it the 2007 version or the 2015 that you recommend?

1 minute ago, Barbe bleu said:

Thanks bill, I might just do that.  Is it the 2007 version or the 2015 that you recommend?

Pathetic!

More Biden effect.

A new travel company are offering tourist trips to the newly built section of border wall that the Trump administration completed during his 4 years in office. The tour of the twelve miles of newly created wall will generate 4 jobs for tour guides and 1 job for the automatic souvenir dispensing machine maintenance person.

• Like 1

Its the bill thing isn't it!?  Same character, different actor maybe? But you shouldn't take it to heart, its just a little bit of fun.

I'll check out the 2015 version with Bryan Cranston