Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

President Biden

Time to celebrate all the accomplishments of Sleepy Joe and Comrade Kamala. 😀

He had only been President-elect a few hours and a vaccine for Covid19 was announced, just think what he'll be able to do when he gets his feet under the Resolute desk.

Edited by A Load of Squit
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

Hurricane Eta made landfall on FLORIDA. Just saying!

Well I know one golf course it want it to wreck.

The new Chief of Staff wrote that covid is coming and that trump isn't prepared. In January. 

I'll be more sceptical here, but those who have seen my political rantings here will have a pretty good idea why, namely I see both parties as symptoms of a dreadful electoral model that was in need of reform when the Marshall Plan was divvied out. So whilst I think it's good that a poor President is on the way out, I maintain that the model is so weak and ill-adapted to the demands of modern government that nothing but radical reform is required and therefore any happiness at Trump being voted out is very much limited.

Gamed, gerrymandered seats and first-past-the-post voting over time results in a two-party w-a-n-kfest, negative campaigning trump-ing positive visions to the point that positive campaigning is for-biden, and a spoiler effect that kills off any chances third parties have of even becoming a coalition party in many cases.

America has this problem. The UK has this problem. From very limited knowledge, India and Canada both have similar problems. All have first-past-the-post voting. We're the only country in Europe (except for Belarus...way to go, Lukashenko) with it. And it needs to be ripped out at the root before improvement can take place.

Summa summarum, complaining about Biden over Trump (or Trump over Clinton) is merely worrying about the symptom, not the root cause.

Edited by TheGunnShow

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'll be more sceptical here, but those who have seen my political rantings here will have a pretty good idea why, namely I see both parties as symptoms of a dreadful electoral model that was in need of reform when the Marshall Plan was divvied out. So whilst I think it's good that a poor President is on the way out, I maintain that the model is so weak and ill-adapted to the demands of modern government that nothing but radical reform is required and therefore any happiness at Trump being voted out is very much limited.

Gamed, gerrymandered seats and first-past-the-post voting over time results in a two-party w-a-n-kfest, negative campaigning trump-ing positive visions to the point that positive campaigning is for-biden, and a spoiler effect that kills off any chances third parties have of even becoming a coalition party in many cases.

America has this problem. The UK has this problem. From very limited knowledge, India and Canada both have similar problems. All have first-past-the-post voting. We're the only country in Europe (except for Belarus...way to go, Lukashenko) with it. And it needs to be ripped out at the root before improvement can take place.

Although we did have third past the post in Government not long ago.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Although we did have third past the post in Government not long ago.

Sure, and look at the proportion of votes to the number of seats (not to mention they were in coalition). We've had plenty of examples where number of votes is not remotely representative to the number of MPs they get. Not to forget the resulting referendum (FPTP vs. AV) was between two poor methods that are easily gerrymandered. Really need single transferable vote or mixed-member proportional representation instead.

I'm always amused at the fear of coalition governments. What some people consider to be the "slowing down" of reform tends if anything to be "ensuring more people's views are reasonably represented".

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'm always amused at the fear of coalition governments. What some people consider to be the "slowing down" of reform tends if anything to be "ensuring more people's views are reasonably represented".

This⬆️

It leads to a more adult way of governing I might add. Complex issues receive far greater scrutiny and the quality of decisions improves, not least transparency. What is not to dislike really?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Summa summarum, complaining about Biden over Trump (or Trump over Clinton) is merely worrying about the symptom, not the root cause.

What on earth has the Marshall Plan got to do with electoral reform?

1 minute ago, Rock The Boat said:

What on earth has the Marshall Plan got to do with electoral reform?

To quote verbatim:

" I see both parties as symptoms of a dreadful electoral model that was in need of reform when the Marshall Plan was divvied out."

It does not remotely mean that the Marshall Plan is part of electoral reform. It means the system's been problematic since the time the Marshall Plan was enacted.

10 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

To quote verbatim:

" I see both parties as symptoms of a dreadful electoral model that was in need of reform when the Marshall Plan was divvied out."

It does not remotely mean that the Marshall Plan is part of electoral reform. It means the system's been problematic since the time the Marshall Plan was enacted.

If it has nothing to do with electoral reform why mention it?

20 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

The election result hasn't been called yet so it is premature to describe Biden as president-elect

I bet this time 4 years ago you were calling Trump President-elect.

51 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

The election result hasn't been called yet so it is premature to describe Biden as president-elect

While I almost never agree with you on here, you've always come across as a generally intelligent person. Do you genuinely believe this sort of rubbish?

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Sure, and look at the proportion of votes to the number of seats (not to mention they were in coalition). We've had plenty of examples where number of votes is not remotely representative to the number of MPs they get. Not to forget the resulting referendum (FPTP vs. AV) was between two poor methods that are easily gerrymandered. Really need single transferable vote or mixed-member proportional representation instead.

I am not convinced.

Jacinda Adern has come in for a lot of global praise recently and has just been given a mandate by the people of NZ.

However, her previous term was a coalition of more than one party and ended up pleasing very few. A centre left politician, she was forced to endorse some policies of the Green Party, which many find too far left. Yet she had to endure the nationalistic Winston Peters, an anathema to the Greens, to ensure a working majority.

FPTP is not ideal either. But I cannot see any evidence that a coalition is a solution. Decentralisation of power has been shown to be anywhere ideal either.

31 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I am not convinced.

Jacinda Adern has come in for a lot of global praise recently and has just been given a mandate by the people of NZ.

However, her previous term was a coalition of more than one party and ended up pleasing very few. A centre left politician, she was forced to endorse some policies of the Green Party, which many find too far left. Yet she had to endure the nationalistic Winston Peters, an anathema to the Greens, to ensure a working majority.

FPTP is not ideal either. But I cannot see any evidence that a coalition is a solution. Decentralisation of power has been shown to be anywhere ideal either.

It pleased people well enough that she got a legitimate majority off her work in the coalition. Furthermore - and just as importantly - in such a model smaller parties have more of a chance as voting for them legitimately represents the views of the electorate as opposed to tactical voting here. 

I'm inclined to say the fact that she's got a majority win off working together with the Greens, and is working with Peters, is actually the polar opposite of a refutation as they also had some degree of a say. Not to mention their model pretty much kills off gerrymandering and the spoiler effect. Both gerrymandering and the spoiler effect are massive weaknesses with FPTP.

Edited by TheGunnShow
Might as well add a good explanation of the problems the UK/US models uniquely have!

3 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

The election HAS been called, but the results haven't been certified by the individual States yet and no Electoral Collage votes have been cast because that happens in January. So technically the "election" hasn't happened yet, but if we follow the practice of every presidential election for the past 100 years it's already over. Biden 306 EC votes v the 270 needed, and 5 Million lead in total votes cast.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/10/heres-when-the-results-of-the-2020-election-will-be-finalized.html

4 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

LOSER you are a FVCKWIT.

😀

VoteForJustice 

The Navajo Nation flipped AZ. They cast 76K votes, at 97% for Biden. He is currently ahead by 16,985 votes. Some of them spent 2 hours on horseback getting to the polls. And unlike Never Trump Republicans, they supported down-ballot Dems and helped us with the Senate.
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, king canary said:

While I almost never agree with you on here, you've always come across as a generally intelligent person. Do you genuinely believe this sort of rubbish?

what I am saying is that there will be some kind of Electoral Commission responsible for the running of the election, and as far as I am aware they have not officially announced the final result yet. How can they do so when there are legal challenges that need to be resolved?

4 hours ago, Surfer said:

The election HAS been called, but the results haven't been certified by the individual States yet and no Electoral Collage votes have been cast because that happens in January. So technically the "election" hasn't happened yet, but if we follow the practice of every presidential election for the past 100 years it's already over. Biden 306 EC votes v the 270 needed, and 5 Million lead in total votes cast.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/10/heres-when-the-results-of-the-2020-election-will-be-finalized.html

Thanks  Surfer. So I am correct. And I think in the US the Constitution takes priority over precedence.

3 hours ago, SHRIMPER said:

LOSER you are a FVCKWIT.

I understand it is a little bit beyond your mental capabilities, so I make allowances for you.

13 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

😀

VoteForJustice 

The Navajo Nation flipped AZ. They cast 76K votes, at 97% for Biden. He is currently ahead by 16,985 votes. Some of them spent 2 hours on horseback getting to the polls. And unlike Never Trump Republicans, they supported down-ballot Dems and helped us with the Senate.

Amazing what you can trade for a few blankets these days.

3 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

I understand it is a little bit beyond your mental capabilities, so I make allowances for you.

You have been a LOSER all your life and will remain so. And a rabid altright racist into the bargain.

Edited by SHRIMPER