Sign in to follow this  
NFN FC

Scenario: You've just been made England manager...

And Gareth Southgate has been sacked. All eligible players are fit. You need to get a team together. 

What formation would you use? 

Who'd be in the starting XI? 

Who'd be on the bench? 

Well, first of all, I’d sack Jude Bellingham and bring in Josh Martin because he’s got more Premier League experience.

I’d sack the waistcoat and bring back the tracksuit - you’re a football manager, not a bloody page boy.

Marcus Rashford MBE would be Captain.

And I’d give Grant Holt a call up apologising for the past atrocities of old. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I would first of all handpick my coaching staff from this forum as goodness me there is no limit to the tactical nous, expertise and man management available.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

42 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

And Gareth Southgate has been sacked. All eligible players are fit. You need to get a team together. 

Who'd be on the bench? 

I must have missed your tenure as England manager. 

Formation ..........1-9-1 

First XI .............Anyone who's English and has never been called up to the squad before 

Bench ? Er............how about anyone who's English etc etc (as above) 

34 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

I would Make Todd  Cantwell the team mascot

Talk about the epitome of ‘rent free’, Fred

spacer.pngNot how I would line up at the euros if I could help it. But injuries and form issues with some at the moment. Really not sure what to do with goalkeeper. I think I’d risk Henderson!

Sancho, Trent, Maguire, Ings, Greenwood, Maddison, Walker, Coady, Mount, Barnes, Pope, Foden, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Abraham all on the plane.

Edited by Decemberists

3-5-2 with Pope in goal, Alexander-Arnold and Chilwell as the wingbacks, Maguire, Gomez, Coady at the back; Maddison, Henderson and Grealish in the middle, Kane and Rashford up front.

Sterling, Sancho, Greenwood, Barnes, Foden, Phillips, Mings, Tarkowski, Henderson, Ings and Rice on the bench.

20201111-164558.jpg

This is what I like to call the 'trying something different plan b' approach 

please ignore the lack of Kane, how Wan-Bissaka isn't  a left back, and please keep in mind Smalling has been immense for Roma and that Dunk fully deserves a callup take him anyday over Mings 😉

Here's the England team singing a corrected version of the anthem. (Don't play it in the office, everyone!)

Well, Gomez won’t be playing for England because he’s got injured in training. Wouldn’t wish a minor injury on anyone other than Kevin Muscat and Donald Trump - but I’ve got to say I’m just absolutely GUTTED for Liverpool 😜. This season really is turning into a thing of beauty, supporters kept away from stadiums and Bournemouth’s ground aside.

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I would first of all handpick my coaching staff from this forum as goodness me there is no limit to the tactical nous, expertise and man management available.

Anyone in particular? 

37 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

20201111-164558.jpg

This is what I like to call the 'trying something different plan b' approach 

please ignore the lack of Kane, how Wan-Bissaka isn't  a left back, and please keep in mind Smalling has been immense for Roma and that Dunk fully deserves a callup take him anyday over Mings 😉

You left out our future Prime Minister! 

40 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You left out our future Prime Minister! 

Fair enough I'd say - Keir Starmer isn't very good at football. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Fair enough I'd say - Keir Starmer isn't very good at football. 😉 

Keir will just be keeping the seat warm for Lisa who in turn will be keeping it warm for Marcus. And it all ended happily ever after 

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Keir will just be keeping the seat warm for Lisa who in turn will be keeping it warm for Marcus. And it all ended happily ever after 

Not sure hes a good enough left winger these days mind, isn't he more central?

4 hours ago, NFN FC said:

Who'd be on the bench? 

I'd play 4-3-3.

Nick Pope would be my no. 1, but only because Dean Henderson was stupid and stayed at United. 

Alexander-Arnold would be my right back. 

Chillwell likely my left back. 

Centre backs - Joe Gomez and Harry Maguire. 

On the wings would be Sterling and Sancho.

Through the middle, Henderson, Grealish and Rice.

Up front would be Rashford. 

That's really harsh on Harry Kane, but I think Rashford works better in this line up.

53 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I'd play 4-3-3.

Nick Pope would be my no. 1, but only because Dean Henderson was stupid and stayed at United. 

Alexander-Arnold would be my right back. 

Chillwell likely my left back. 

Centre backs - Joe Gomez and Harry Maguire. 

On the wings would be Sterling and Sancho.

Through the middle, Henderson, Grealish and Rice.

Up front would be Rashford. 

That's really harsh on Harry Kane, but I think Rashford works better in this line up.

Like this however, it would have to be Kane up front for me.

Pope

Alex-Arn Gomez(pre inj)Maguire Chilwell

Ox-Chamb    Henderson    Foden

Sancho       Kane      Sterling

Certainly none of Southgates horrific 5 at the back and two holding midfielders...unless we're playing the likes of France..not bl0ody Denmark

2 hours ago, chicken said:

Vardy has retired from international football hasn't he? 

Yep, shame really because at 33 he’s still one of the very best in the Premier League.

Doesn't sound too good for Joe Gomez from the way Southgate was talking. Don’t feel sorry for Liverpool, but I do feel sorry for him. He’s had rotten luck with injuries poor lad, seems like he’ll be one of those players that’ll never quite stay fit for any length of time unfortunately. 

27 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Yep, shame really because at 33 he’s still one of the very best in the Premier League.

I think I would take the same tack with Shearer and say that arguably, one of the reasons he continues to do well in the Premier League is because he no longer has the distraction/extra games that being an international means. Especially all of these friendlies and the phony Nations League... 

I think both have proved why it can be beneficial to retire from international duty when the time is right, to focus on your club career and ensure you play at as high a level as possible through to the end.

3 minutes ago, chicken said:

I think I would take the same tack with Shearer and say that arguably, one of the reasons he continues to do well in the Premier League is because he no longer has the distraction/extra games that being an international means. Especially all of these friendlies and the phony Nations League... 

I think both have proved why it can be beneficial to retire from international duty when the time is right, to focus on your club career and ensure you play at as high a level as possible through to the end.

I hear what yourself and Shearer are saying, and it could be absolutely correct, Chicken, but I always think how can we be sure about that theory? Unless we all had a way where we could have a parallel universe Vardy still playing internationally running alongside the Vardy as we know things, it’s hard to say whether those extra games would have come at a price? Perhaps it’s just age related rather game related? I just think some players are genetically better equipped to deal with the vigours of the game better than others, some have to retire early and some don’t. But who knows, if only we could test this out Marty McFly!

11 hours ago, chicken said:

Vardy has retired from international football hasn't he? 

Sadly so. Real shame, he proves time and time again that despite his age he can still compete at the top level and seems to just get better and better every season.

I heard he only retired beacause he knew he would never start and would only come off the bench due to Kane and all, which if true is a bit of a shame but hey it is somewhat understandable that and he clearly loves leicester and want's to focus on playing for them before anything else... His move to Arsenal which he changed his mind on does prove that too

I’d look at who the most talented players we have available are in midfield. I’d probably play 3-4-2-1 – two attacking midfielders (Maddison & Grealish) behind a striker. Two defending midfielders and a wing-back either side (obviously needing to be the fittest players on the pitch). Plan B would be to drop one of the CAMs and go 3-5-2. Declan Rice & Kyle Walker wouldn’t get near the team either. 

Edited by Robornio