cambridgeshire canary

Jude Bellingham called up to senior England at 17 years old

I'm not saying It's undeserved. I'm not saying the quality of the England squad should come into question when players like this are being called up. But I am asking.. Once he's played one match for us will England retire his number? 😉

Will be interesting to see he play regardless of everyones thoughts on him, Dortmund so seem to rate him pretty highly.

18 minutes ago, Rolf Harris said:

Get your head out of the English leagues and you'll see he's been playing in the Germany legaue regularly.

'Dortmund so seem to rate him pretty highly'

Did you not read my post then orrr

Seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Admittedly both Pele and Maradonna were full internationals at sixteen, but as good as he might be I'm pretty sure that Bellingham will never reach their heights. There were a few others at seventeen spread about.

Theo Walcott was/still is England's youngest and he subsequently never quite set the world on fire, although being more than decent.

Still, if you're good enough then you're old enough, as they say.

There was me thinking that i read somewhere on here yesterday that Cambridgeshire Canary said he was not starting anymore threads but then again somebody did say give it a day. 😜

If you're good enough, you're old enough. This, if anything, is vindication of how Dortmund carry out their business. Not to mention Bellingham will have been playing with another England player regularly in Sancho so both players already know what the other tends to do under pressure.

Makes very good sense if Bellingham's form has been good. Partnerships between strong club players are well worth keeping in the international arena.

Hes played one full 90 minutes for Dortmund where as players like Barkley & Maddison have started the season very well.

25 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

There was me thinking that i read somewhere on here yesterday that Cambridgeshire Canary said he was not starting anymore threads but then again somebody did say give it a day. 😜

I mean I was clearly joking

3 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Hes played one full 90 minutes for Dortmund where as players like Barkley & Maddison have started the season very well.

Indeed, as I have said sure seems they rate him highly.

Just my opinion but it seems far too easy to get an England call up these days. It should be the pinnacle of a players career and be earned over a period of time. A few decent performances and it seems a call up is handed out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Move Klose said:

Dont think Southgate is much of a Maddison fan.

If Southgate can't find a way to accommodate Grealish or Maddison in his XI then he needs to go.

We talk about the 'lost generation' when we had probably the best group of midfielders in the world but stuck with managers who couldn't fit them in a system which worked, but then we don't learn our lesson when Southgate can't find a way to use a midfield playmaker.

I would say however that with Maddison being mostly on the bench for Leicester and Grealish in good form, that it would definitely be Grealish over Maddison on merit right now. 

25 minutes ago, Clint said:

Just my opinion but it seems far too easy to get an England call up these days.

Graham Taylor played some right cloggers and ignored some excellent players, so this isn't a new problem.

49 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

The same James Maddison who has only started 2 league game this season, started a game on the bench 7 times and hasn't completed a full 90 minutes yet? 

That one? 

Being kept out of the side by Harvey Barnes. 

12 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Is it a “if you don’t get him a cap he qualifies for another country and they could snap him up” situation?

I mean he was born in Stourbridge, seems both his parents are British and he's played for England since the under 15's.. Not that the last part means much given he's still only 17 and all though

12 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The same James Maddison who has only started 2 league game this season, started a game on the bench 7 times and hasn't completed a full 90 minutes yet? 

That one? 

Being kept out of the side by Harvey Barnes. 

Madders was injured for the start of the season then made some sub appearances before finally starting the last couple of games. Seems like he was eased back in more than anything. So I think it’s more to do with injury rather than anything else, he’ll likely start every week now, injuries/suspensions aside.

On another general note regarding Jude Bellingham, I find it absolutely completely and utterly laughable that players get picked largely for who they play for rather than what they do on the pitch. Yes, he’s a good young talent, but 90mins for Dortmund has justified his inclusion has it? If ever there were proof as to why the likes of Holty never got his call up, then this is it! Disgusting really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'Dortmund so seem to rate him pretty highly'

Did you not read my post then orrr

To be fair, there are so many of them, it would hardly be a surprise if he hadn't.

24 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

To be fair, there are so many of them, it would hardly be a surprise if he hadn't.

hot.gif

39 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Madders was injured for the start of the season then made some sub appearances before finally starting the last couple of games. Seems like he was eased back in more than anything. So I think it’s more to do with injury rather than anything else, he’ll likely start every week now, injuries/suspensions aside.

On another general note regarding Jude Bellingham, I find it absolutely completely and utterly laughable that players get picked largely for who they play for rather than what they do on the pitch. Yes, he’s a good young talent, but 90mins for Dortmund has justified his inclusion has it? If ever there were proof as to why the likes of Holty never got his call up, then this is it! Disgusting really.

Yeah, sadly Maddison has been pretty badly injured last few months

22 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

hot.gif

Yeah, sadly Maddison has been pretty badly injured last few months

Maddison and Grealish have done more than this kid, granted, Madders has been injured but I’m sure he’ll play his way into contention. As for Grealish, god knows. 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean he was born in Stourbridge, seems both his parents are British and he's played for England since the under 15's.. Not that the last part means much given he's still only 17 and all though

There’s been a few situations recently where other countries have shown interest in them through grandparents or whatever. I think Declan Rice was one with an Irish link? Same with Grealish? There seems to be a lot of competition on the international stage and a lot of scope to play for other countries through family links.

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I think Southgate has been much better than previous managers at picking players from outside the top 6/7, Mings, Coady and Pope for example.

But I do think 17 is a bit too young, should stay in the U21's for another year. 

Should have taken Barnes or Maddison with Leicester doing well. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Southgate has managed 46 matches and has now called up 87 different players.   This seems an inordinate amount of players, given that the nucleus of the squad has largely stayed the same during his tenure.

He just seems to hand out a cap here and there with no justifiable explanation. The point about Barnes is extremely valid, in last months squad, got a cap, played well for Leicester since but a 17 year old with a less than a dozen top flight appearances has been selected over him in this squad.

Why? Where is the logic and justification?

7 hours ago, Rolf Harris said:

Get your head out of the English leagues and you'll see he's been playing in the Germany legaue regularly.

331 mins over 6 league games in the bundesliga and 69 mins over 3 games in the champs league.

3 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

There’s been a few situations recently where other countries have shown interest in them through grandparents or whatever. I think Declan Rice was one with an Irish link? Same with Grealish? There seems to be a lot of competition on the international stage and a lot of scope to play for other countries through family links.

Rice played for Ireland!

I think Declan Rice played u17 - u21 & in a couple of senior friendlies for Ireland, but was then "advised" to throw in his lot with England. Likely for improved commercial opportunities. A similar story for Grealish. Both are Englishmen and qualified for Ireland through Irish grandparents. I understand the new Irish boss Stephen Kenny is willing to continue with players already in the fold, but won't be exploring the "granny rule" with any future caps. His remit is to try and be competitive while bringing through lots of new blood from the young lads coming through & some other potentials, to hopefully qualify for Qatar 2022, assuming that actually goes ahead. Unfortunately at the moment Ireland are shíte & in danger of a Wembley tonking in a couple of days.

Perhaps he should give Farke a ring for a few pointers! 

"Entschuldigung Herr Farke! Warum sind wir nur scheisse auf Fussball? Was haben sie mit Aarons und Godfrey gemacht? Bitte!!"

I would respect his selection if he got called up whilst he was playing for Birmingham. 

I understand that players need to be playing at a certain level but it defies logic that Bellingham is suddenly worthy of a call up now that he plays for Munich. 

It seems like Southgate is set on playing an uninspiring central midfield, whoever we play against, so Maddison is going to have to have an outstanding season if he is hoping to get his first cap.

Just to add, fully supportive of Grealish getting a call up/start ahead of Maddison at the moment though - he's been excellent this season, as annoying as he is. 

I actually can't believe he isn't starting every England game at the moment, to be honest.