Mullet

Lookman penalty

If a player of mine took a penalty like that to secure a point for a struggling team and missed he would be in the reserves for the rest of the season and docked a months pay. If he had scored I would take him off penalty duty forever and fined.

Another nobody who thinks he's Maradona

Didn't Wes do something very similar vs Preston.

We were in the promotion hunt and cost us 2pts.

Edited by CDMullins

14 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

That was a Panenka, not a Maradona.

Lol I guess there's a guy called Panenka who did this and presumably scored I didn't know it had a name. This Lookman idiot didn't even commit to it. 

Scott Parker has to take some responsibility for not making it clear not to do this ever

56 minutes ago, Mullet said:

Lol I guess there's a guy called Panenka who did this and presumably scored I didn't know it had a name. This Lookman idiot didn't even commit to it. 

Scott Parker has to take some responsibility for not making it clear not to do this ever

Correct, Antonin Panenka was a Czech footballer who did precisely this in the finals of Euro 1976, lobbing no other than Sepp Maier in the process.

I think the overreaction towards Lookman has been a bit over the top, to be honest.

The Panenka penalty is a little bit like zonal marking. I'm not sure if it's any worse than the standard method in terms of success rate (zonal marking isn't, statistically) but when it goes wrong it just looks bad.

3 hours ago, CDMullins said:

Didn't Wes do something very similar vs Preston.

We were in the promotion hunt and cost us 2pts.

Yep, three was a history to why he did it. In the end it didn’t make a difference to how the season turned out for us...fortunately 

44 minutes ago, Essex_Canary said:

Yep, three was a history to why he did it. In the end it didn’t make a difference to how the season turned out for us...fortunately 

Oh go on, you can’t just say that and leave us hanging!

• Like 1

Or you could do it like De Bruyne and just push it past the post ..... an equally shocking miss.

6 hours ago, Essex_Canary said:

Wasn’t it the last he took? After that Holty took over the duty and showed everyone exactly how you take a pen...Wollop it in the top corner 

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

Wasn’t it the last he took? After that Holty took over the duty and showed everyone exactly how you take a pen...Wollop it in the top corner 

First one Holty took was in a great win at Leicester. Nearly had the net off. 

Nah, I remember the missed one, it was away versus Preston, I was felting my shed roof and listening on Radio Norfolk, must've been around ten years ago. And he scored one v the s(um in the playoffs since then. 

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

Nah, I remember the missed one, it was away versus Preston, I was felting my shed roof and listening on Radio Norfolk, must've been around ten years ago. And he scored one v the s(um in the playoffs since then. 

Definitely wasn’t away. It was at the river end. I was watching it (and furious when he missed). Was a tight game that we looked like we were going to sneak a win out of.

and I didn’t mean the last one he ever took...but Holty took over pen duties after the Preston miss. As Dylan said, I remember Holtys first was rocketed into the top left corner at the Barclay end

Edited by Fiery Zac

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

100% at CR.

6 hours ago, Surfer said:

Or you could do it like De Bruyne and just push it past the post ..... an equally shocking miss.

A pedant would say Lookman hit the target, De Bruyne didnt. Therefore logic says Lookmans was a better penalty. If the keeper had dived the other way , it would be a goal. For De Bruynes the keeper would have had to dive a long way in the right direction and scoop it over his shoulder into the net for it to be a goal......much more unlikely.

My opinion......both were bad, but given de Bruynes proven quality , it was worse.

• Like 1

Definitely wasn’t away. It was at the river end. I was watching it (and furious when he missed). Was a tight game that we looked like we were going to sneak a win out of.

and I didn’t mean the last one he ever took...but Holty took over pen duties after the Preston miss. As Dylan said, I remember Holtys first was rocketed into the top left corner at the Barclay end

Yeah you're right. I've had to bow to Google and the shed-felting one was away to QPR, remarkably in the same season as the Preston miss. Weird that I can vividly remember (apart from the opposition!) the miss that I heard about through the radio, but have no memory of the Preston miss despite the fact that I was almost certainly there, and in the River End too. But the Preston miss must've been somewhere in the old data banks because I thought the QPR miss was against Preston.

5 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Was at home up the River End v Preston 

The reaction probably is a bit OTT but it's because it's a deliberate and unnecessary showboat; had they been 4-0 up and cruising it would get laughed off but at 0-1 in the eleventy-third minute of injury time? 

I don't know. If you hit it hard you're still relying on the keeper going the wrong way or it being placed well enough although how often do you see a pen go "through" the keeper? If you elect for a Panenka you're still relying on the keeper diving out of the way but if you execute it badly (really badly in Lookman's case) then the keeper can dive, get up, tie his left lace, smoke a cigarette and read the opening chapter of a decent-length novel and still react quickly enough to save it. 

Percentage-wise I'm not sure there'd be much in it, the main thing is that if you go panenka and don't pull it off, you just look like a massive **** and people are going to ask who on earth you think you are; it's arrogant, isn't it? 

It was a woeful attempt but was still marginally better than Sutch's effort at Cardiff🤬😉

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mullet said:

If a player of mine took a penalty like that to secure a point for a struggling team and missed he would be in the reserves for the rest of the season and docked a months pay. If he had scored I would take him off penalty duty forever and fined.

Another nobody who thinks he's Maradona

I couldn’t bloody believe it. Just imagine if fans had been there? Jeeeeesus...

I know Wes scored most of his penalties but I was never that confident he would score. Saying that the pressure on the one in the playoffs was massive

6 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

I know Wes scored most of his penalties but I was never that confident he would score. Saying that the pressure on the one in the playoffs was massive

Your concern wasn't particularly misplaced from the stats. It looks like he only had a 66.67% success rate. 18 penalties, 12 scored, 6 missed.

Contrast that with Grant Holt who scored 7 and missed 2.

The Wes miss vs Preston dates back to the rivalry they had when he was at Blackpool. He basically wanted to embarrass them but it didn’t quite work out that way....

Which I guess tells us all we need to know about why players try a Panenka! 

Edited by Clint

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

To be honest it has been some time since I last felt certain we would score when we were awarded a pen

It'd have been fine if he'd smashed it over the bar though, right? Ridiculous

He's been their best player by a distance since he came in

Hadn't Wes scored one that way against the same keeper at Preston, whilst he was at Blackpool, so the keeper second guessed him and stood his ground?