Steve1987

How big of a club are we?

56 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Always good to know that just beacause you don't live in a certain city you can't support said citys club

I mean I was born in Norwich and has been the only club I have ever supported all my life but nah beacause I live elsewere now it would seem I can no longer support us

What a load of nonsense

I’ve never lived in Norwich and never will, I will continue to support the club though. I cannot believe someone has that attitude towards a fellow Norwich supporter. I get it if there was a glory hunting element in there, but 😂 there really isn’t!

14 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I’ve never lived in Norwich and never will, I will continue to support the club though. I cannot believe someone has that attitude towards a fellow Norwich supporter. I get it if there was a glory hunting element in there, but 😂 there really isn’t!

God forbid someone tells him about all the Norwich fans living in other countries 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

What does not living in Norwich have to do with whether your opinion is relevant or not?

Ask Waveneyo.....he'll give you a balanced, measured answer.

45 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Ask Waveneyo.....he'll give you a balanced, measured answer.

Which user is that? Isn’t he under loads of different aliases!?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Which user is that? Isn’t he under loads of different aliases!?

He does, the big problem for him is that ,even over the internet, you can smell him a mile off.

18 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

He does, the big problem for him is that ,even over the internet, you can smell him a mile off.

Haha, I remember that jobsworth tool on here, what’s the latest name?

The whole 'big club' debate is one of the worst things in football IMO. Football is in a constant state of flux and it will always change. Try telling a fan from 1993 that you can argue that Bournemouth, Swansea or Wigan are on our level and they'd laugh you out of the building.

How big can we be? We do have a captive audience to a certain extent, we're the only professional team for miles and Norfolk has a population of around 1m people- so with the right combination of infrastructure and success on the pitch could we be regularly pulling crowds of 40-50k? Maybe but we'd likely need someone with very deep pockets to do that.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Haha, I remember that jobsworth tool on here, what’s the latest name?

Lost your sense of smell then Thumbo? 

15 hours ago, Lazza said:

Leicester and Norwich are similar in terms of size of city

Leicester has more than twice the population of Norwich!

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

The whole 'big club' debate is one of the worst things in football IMO. Football is in a constant state of flux and it will always change. Try telling a fan from 1993 that you can argue that Bournemouth, Swansea or Wigan are on our level and they'd laugh you out of the building.

How big can we be? We do have a captive audience to a certain extent, we're the only professional team for miles and Norfolk has a population of around 1m people- so with the right combination of infrastructure and success on the pitch could we be regularly pulling crowds of 40-50k? Maybe but we'd likely need someone with very deep pockets to do that.

All true Kayceyo. The true (current)status of Clubs will not be apparent until the books are done once this Covid shoite is done for.  We may emerge from this in a better state than many similar sized Clubs, due to recent income from prem/ parachute and sales.....at least thats what I am hoping. Our cautious approach and recruitment pre covid could well be our financial saviour.  This pandemic could provoke mayhem and turmoil in footy as we know it, I like to think we are better equipped than many to emerge in decent fettle. 

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Tbh, I have never paid attention to the uncle fred account on here. I take it he gives off a bad odour!

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Uncle Fred

Cheers, I will keep an eye on this. Haven’t noticed the same level of hatred for Cantwell as jobsworth seemed to have

Seen on this thread some think we are as big as leeds and newcastle? That is ludacris. They are huge clubs. 

Be interesting to see what we could get in the prem if we were a solid mid team. I would guess realistically we could get 30k average. Not sure we would get signifcantly more over a season than the 27,000 average we had last season in the prem even if we were doing better.

Realistically I think we could average 30-32k in the prem.

We have been held back a bit by Delia and co but not to the extent some think. 

Edited by Steve1987

Hi everyone, I have to come clean, I am a Portsmouth fan and just came on here to troll Norwich fans as I'm very bored. 

I don't know why I do it, I should seek help really. 

If you see me on any other threads, please either tell me to go away, or get me banned. 

Thanks. 

Well try TWTD next time if you want to experience an exercise into the unreal.

You will, no doubt discover that Ipswich Town are sleeping giants with an illustrious history unmatched in these parts and further afield and in whose shadow Norwich City permanently exist.

You will no doubt also be privileged to a ball by ball account of their multiple European exploits and also be asked to contribute to the latest fund that they have set up in order to erect yet another statue of one of their greats.

One or two may tell the true story.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Well try TWTD next time if you want to experience an exercise into the unreal.

You will, no doubt discover that Ipswich Town are sleeping giants, with an illustrious history unmatched in these parts and further afield and in whose shadow Norwich City regularly exist.

One or two may tell the true story.

I've already tried twtd and rightfully got banned. They saw straight through my obvious attempts at trolling when I kept claiming Portsmouth are a huge club, which we're not. Tiny in fact. 

5 minutes ago, Steve1987 said:

I've already tried twtd and rightfully got banned. They saw straight through my obvious attempts at trolling when I kept claiming Portsmouth are a huge club, which we're not. Tiny in fact. 

Are you one those people who gets off on being belittled?

26 minutes ago, Steve1987 said:

True. You've been sleeping giants for so long that the casual observer might be excused for thinking that the whole club has been put into a medically induced coma for the last few decades.

Never mind, you have this :

hat's even worse than ours.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Every now and then I convince myself we're a big club, the size of Leicester or Wolves, then I look at our attendances in the 1990s and realise we are about as large as my penis. Miniscule. 

3 minutes ago, Steve1987 said:

Every now and then I convince myself we're a big club, the size of Leicester or Wolves, then I look at our attendances in the 1990s and realise we are about as large as my penis. Miniscule. 

This is performance art.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Steve1987 said:

Comparing to the rest of the English clubs. Take into account trophies, finals, crowds past and present, facilities etc. 

I would say we are a medium sized club with a decent stadium, lots of money and a good fanbase. I'd put us above the likes of Swansea, QPR, Bristol City. They haven't really done much. 

We are probably on par with someone like a Portsmouth. A big fanbase, great history of major trophies and finals, but an old stadium and a league below, a club who haven't been developed infrastructure wise and now struggling. Similarly, we are probably similar to Palace. Palace are in a position to now push on to be London 5th biggest, have a decent support, a decent history but an ageing stadium. Lack of trophies damages them a bit. But they are in the prem with lots of money and will stay there for a while yet it seems. They have established themselves. 

For me you have small clubs like QPR, Swansea, medium sized clubs like us, the scum, Portsmouth, Palace, Wba, and Big clubs like West Ham, Villa, Everton. 

Bigger than Ipswich . That’ll do. 

5 hours ago, Badger said:

Leicester has more than twice the population of Norwich!

Badly worded perhaps but I was referring more to the clubs catchment areas.

I never understand this question, does it really matter? We are a club which has a stadium big enough for our demand, we have a playing staff as good as we can afford and to look at history is irrelevant as how far do you go back?

We are Norwich, in Norwich City, in the championship.

6 hours ago, Steve1987 said:

Seen on this thread some think we are as big as leeds and newcastle? That is ludacris. They are huge clubs. 

Be interesting to see what we could get in the prem if we were a solid mid team. I would guess realistically we could get 30k average. Not sure we would get signifcantly more over a season than the 27,000 average we had last season in the prem even if we were doing better.

Realistically I think we could average 30-32k in the prem.

We have been held back a bit by Delia and co but not to the extent some think. 

Ludacris's Black Hairstyles – Cool Men's Hair

7 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

If it’s for three days or more then you should get tested 😁

• Haha 1

It's a fairly pointless discussion/argument. And I agree with the above post about how the "ludacris" amounts of money pumped in over the last 20/25 years has completely skewed the concept.

However, did someone not post on here fairly recently that we are historically the 17th biggest club, the criteria being time spent in the top division(s)?

In all honesty, this question has been discussed before  and answer is quite  clear - we  are in the top quartile (top 25%) of clubs, but not in the top decile (top 10%) on a long term basis. 

Over my lifetime this is progress, and it would be more the case for (even) older posters, for whom Division Three (south) was the norm until the 1960s. In my lifetime, we have only been in the third tier once, after Roeder, but this was our normal position until the 1960s.

Below is a link detailing our league positions over time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Norwich_City_F.C._seasons

On 08/11/2020 at 16:23, Steve1987 said:

Comparing to the rest of the English clubs. Take into account trophies, finals, crowds past and present, facilities etc. 

I would say we are a medium sized club with a decent stadium, lots of money and a good fanbase. I'd put us above the likes of Swansea, QPR, Bristol City. They haven't really done much. 

We are probably on par with someone like a Portsmouth. A big fanbase, great history of major trophies and finals, but an old stadium and a league below, a club who haven't been developed infrastructure wise and now struggling. Similarly, we are probably similar to Palace. Palace are in a position to now push on to be London 5th biggest, have a decent support, a decent history but an ageing stadium. Lack of trophies damages them a bit. But they are in the prem with lots of money and will stay there for a while yet it seems. They have established themselves. 

For me you have small clubs like QPR, Swansea, medium sized clubs like us, the scum, Portsmouth, Palace, Wba, and Big clubs like West Ham, Villa, Everton. 

Not giving any consideration there to training facilities and academy status? 

You put us on par with Portsmouth, but they have a Category 3 academy.

The difference between Category 1 and Category 3 is like night and day.