Steve1987

How big of a club are we?

Comparing to the rest of the English clubs. Take into account trophies, finals, crowds past and present, facilities etc. 

I would say we are a medium sized club with a decent stadium, lots of money and a good fanbase. I'd put us above the likes of Swansea, QPR, Bristol City. They haven't really done much. 

We are probably on par with someone like a Portsmouth. A big fanbase, great history of major trophies and finals, but an old stadium and a league below, a club who haven't been developed infrastructure wise and now struggling. Similarly, we are probably similar to Palace. Palace are in a position to now push on to be London 5th biggest, have a decent support, a decent history but an ageing stadium. Lack of trophies damages them a bit. But they are in the prem with lots of money and will stay there for a while yet it seems. They have established themselves. 

For me you have small clubs like QPR, Swansea, medium sized clubs like us, the scum, Portsmouth, Palace, Wba, and Big clubs like West Ham, Villa, Everton. 

Lots of money? West Ham big club really.  Certainly the biggest club in East Anglia, the level of Delia's ambition.

1 minute ago, pete said:

Lots of money? West Ham big club really.  Certainly the biggest club in East Anglia, the level of Delia's ambition.

We do have lots of money. Godfrey, Lewis etc. Parachute payments. And West ham have always been a big club. Great Fanbase and history. Great stadium now too. 

2x EFl cup winners, decent sized stadium that (prior to covid of course) tends to sell out every home match and a history of battling it out in the top divison, even if we are somewhat of a yo-yo club.

If 10 was a massive, historic club that has won everything and 1 is your local pub team we would be a comfortable 6.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

We are on a par with Ipswich. Slightly smaller stadium, fewer trophies but more successful on the pitch in the past couple of decades. Beyond that I’d compare us to Leicester, Bristol C,  Swindon, Preston, Swansea, Middlesbrough, all regional clubs without much competition, but none of us “big” clubs over decades. 

11 minutes ago, Surfer said:

We are on a par with Ipswich. Slightly smaller stadium, fewer trophies but more successful on the pitch in the past couple of decades. Beyond that I’d compare us to Leicester, Bristol C,  Swindon, Preston, Swansea, Middlesbrough, all regional clubs without much competition, but none of us “big” clubs over decades. 

But we haven't got any stars on our shirts...

22 minutes ago, Surfer said:

I disagree. We are smaller than Leicester by some way now. We are bigger than Swansea. Bristol city and miles bigger than Swindon lol. Fanbase wise we are bigger than Preston but they have a great history. Boro, similar sized I'd guess. 

18 minutes ago, Steve1987 said:

I disagree. We are smaller than Leicester by some way now. We are bigger than Swansea. Bristol city and miles bigger than Swindon lol. Fanbase wise we are bigger than Preston but they have a great history. Boro, similar sized I'd guess. 

If we are now some way smaller than Leicester then equally we are some way bigger than Ipswich.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

If we are now some way smaller than Leicester then equally we are some way bigger than Ipswich.

Leicester are a bigger club than the scum. 

Stinks of lil ole Norwich,

As someone not from the area its difficult to watch how 'happy clappy' our fan base are,

As someone from Leeds, its even more difficult to see their swagger, despite the fact that they've been irrelevent to English footabll for circa 20 years.

I wish we as a club would carry some arrogance, confidence and aggression.

As a club we undoubtdly should be a estabilished Premier League club, who have a filiration with cup runs and Europa spots.

I'm massively thankful to Delia but our ownership has held us back, for sure.

Being a Leeds fan, I had hoped Stuart Webber would bring in a little bit of that 'f**k you' attitude but its clear hes happy to look after the numbers.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Steve1987 said:

Comparing to the rest of the English clubs. Take into account trophies, finals, crowds past and present, facilities etc. 

I would say we are a medium sized club with a decent stadium, lots of money and a good fanbase. I'd put us above the likes of Swansea, QPR, Bristol City. They haven't really done much. 

We are probably on par with someone like a Portsmouth. A big fanbase, great history of major trophies and finals, but an old stadium and a league below, a club who haven't been developed infrastructure wise and now struggling. Similarly, we are probably similar to Palace. Palace are in a position to now push on to be London 5th biggest, have a decent support, a decent history but an ageing stadium. Lack of trophies damages them a bit. But they are in the prem with lots of money and will stay there for a while yet it seems. They have established themselves. 

For me you have small clubs like QPR, Swansea, medium sized clubs like us, the scum, Portsmouth, Palace, Wba, and Big clubs like West Ham, Villa, Everton. 

I'd say based on who's won what and current position we are behind:

Leicester, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea,  Villa, Everton, Arsenal, Manchester's, Leeds, Blackburn, Forest and Scummers.

I think we are on a par with Bournemouth, Soton, West Ham, Newcastle, Brighton, Fulham, Palace, West Brom, Burnley, Derby.

I'd have us down at about 14th with loads of others 

Edited by Mullet

3 hours ago, Steve1987 said:

We do have lots of money. Godfrey, Lewis etc. Parachute payments. And West ham have always been a big club. Great Fanbase and history. Great stadium now too. 

We do not have lots of money. The latest accounts are not a pretty sight

There was a time when you could consider the “size” of a club based on its past and current successes. Those days are long gone though. The Premier League killed them. These days, the size of a club is all about its spending power. Leicester and Norwich are similar in terms of size of city and catchment area and their pasts (if you ignore the last few years) aren’t a lot different. Leicester now have massive spending power though that can see them competing with the “top six”. We have no chance of that. It’s a different world. 

Imagine if we’d played in Europe all those times during the 80’s... who knows what we’d have achieved and where we’d be now. Food for thought.

8 hours ago, CDMullins said:

Stinks of lil ole Norwich,

As someone not from the area its difficult to watch how 'happy clappy' our fan base are,

As someone from Leeds, its even more difficult to see their swagger, despite the fact that they've been irrelevent to English footabll for circa 20 years.

I wish we as a club would carry some arrogance, confidence and aggression.

As a club we undoubtdly should be a estabilished Premier League club, who have a filiration with cup runs and Europa spots.

I'm massively thankful to Delia but our ownership has held us back, for sure.

Being a Leeds fan, I had hoped Stuart Webber would bring in a little bit of that 'f**k you' attitude but its clear hes happy to look after the numbers.

Psst. If you are not from around here we don’t need to hear your opinion. You are now living in Paradise so just relax and enjoy life my friend. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

Psst. If you are not from around here we don’t need to hear your opinion. You are now living in Paradise so just relax and enjoy life my friend. 

What does not living in Norwich have to do with whether your opinion is relevant or not?

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

What does not living in Norwich have to do with whether your opinion is relevant or not?

Always good to know that just beacause you don't live in a certain city you can't support said citys club

I mean I was born in Norwich and has been the only club I have ever supported all my life but nah beacause I live elsewere now it would seem I can no longer support us

What a load of nonsense

• Like 2

Parochial nonsense, he might have been joking though.

A few others wouldn't be.

Edited by BroadstairsR

14 hours ago, Steve1987 said:

Leicester are a bigger club than the scum. 

Not quite the point I was making.

More that if Leicester are considerably bigger than us now, you're basing that on recent history. IF recent history is anything to go by, we're twice the size of Ipswich now.

4 hours ago, Surfer said:

Sorry, what?

Edited by CDMullins

A better question is potential v actual size

we have a huge catchment area with a little ambition we could have a much bigger stadium with bigger crowds and use that buying power to kick on 

we have had 2 decades of under ambition which as meant that the power of the size of the club ie crowds etc has been diminished by the vast wealth from the premier league

if we look at the canary fan clubs around the world compared to the likes of Liverpool , Man Utd etc we are a tiny tiny club

which ever way you look at it our current owners have held the club back in a spectacular way