CANARYKING

Have we a better defence without Godfrey ?

Hard to judge, given the strength of opposition difference from last year. Imagine a back three of Godfrey, Gibson and Hanley though. Bit of everything in there.

Not necessarily but certainly more experienced, 7 goals in 10 going the right way.

20 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

We are stronger now but still too leaky for my liking!

How do you work that out Cantiaci as we have played 11 league games and conceded just 9. Only one team has scored 2 against us and that in a game we did not lose ?

• Like 1

Ben Godfrey, though a graceful and athletic player, has much to learn regarding defensive nous. If he aquires that , he will be a great defender.  He is brave in the block and the tackle, has a sensible haircut and naturally warm hands. 

I think we do look more solid, but how much of that is down to Skipp n Rupp and how much is down the centre halves only detailed analysis  could really tell us. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No and definitely not if we’re caught higher up the pitch with less pace.

That said, Gibson is adding experience and demonstrates it vocally.    I do think Godfrey would have improved quicker alongside a Hanley or a Gibson rather than Zimmerman who is less experienced too.   

Think the loss of Lewis is more of an issue as we are less balanced and Quintilla is lightweight defensively.      

We'll only have an answer to this question back in the Premiership against better quality attacking line-ups. Also when we're more settled at left-back as well.

Our defence is certainly different without Godfrey. Less pace and technical skill, but probably does the basics better. 

Despite the constant criticism by some of our fans, our defensive record this season is actually excellent and has improved since Godfrey left. We've conceded just five goals in eight games without Godfrey.

We're no worse off without him and we're richer, so all in all, I think we can be pretty pleased with the business we've done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Godrey is tomorrow's man ... Gibson is today's.

We are stronger now but still too leaky for my liking!

See what you mean about a leaky defence, 3rd best at the moment in the championship and last 6 games 3 conceded ( 3 clean sheets )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

How do you work that out Cantiaci as we have played 11 league games and conceded just 9. Only one team has scored 2 against us and that in a game we did not lose ?

It's actually better than that: we've conceded eight. Only Swansea and Boro have conceded fewer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

We'll only have an answer to this question back in the Premiership against better quality attacking line-ups. Also when we're more settled at left-back as well.

I know we’ve been saying this for a while, but I’d expect to see us buying at least one significantly better player in central defence if we go up.

On second thoughts, scrub the ‘at least’, I wouldn’t want to disrupt things with two new CBs.

And we need to see how Quintilla and Mumba are at the day job, i.e. defending. Given that we’ll do well to keep Max another year.

Based on what?

Us playing Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea

or Rotherham, Wycombe and Derby?

Ben Godfrey would be in my team before any of our current three.

Godfrey was in our team for the first few games whilst the rest of the team were getting up to speed. 

Not sure if we have a new found solidity or not, Swansea had chances yesterday but were kept out by an inspired Krul. Also don't under estimate the influence of Skipp and Rupp in protecting our defence. We missed Rupp yesterday.

You could also argue we have been more solid with Sorensen at LB. Quintilla puts good crosses in, but I'm yet to be convinced by his defensive skills.

30 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Based on what?

Us playing Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea

or Rotherham, Wycombe and Derby?

Ben Godfrey would be in my team before any of our current three.

Ditto. Can't believe people are comparing this season with last. So far the Championship looks to have gone backwards since we were last here. Why we're playing 2 defensive midfield players is beyond me 

There's no prospect of an answer to this, so it really is a moot point.

For me, I like the central defensive trio of Zimmermann, Gibson and Hanley who I think all offer a good standard at this level. I'd like a fourth, possibly pacey central defender to add to it, but that's not a fault of any of the three gentlemen we're talking about here.

I said on here many times that Godfrey is a gifted footballer but not a great defender, and getting what we got for him was extremely good business. He might become the next Van Dijk though and certainly had huge potential. But are we stronger defensively without him and with Gibson playing - yes. Are we stronger defensively without Gibson playing - no. Gibson is unquestionably a better defender than Godfrey at the moment , but interesting to see Zimbo playing the crossfield passes to Mumba (almost like they knew what they were doing), which kind of replaces Godfrey's ability to hit such a pass.

I like Ben, for me, he excelled in blocking goal bound shots whilst also regularly making timely last ditch tackles. He’s already a natural in those respects, no question. Real quality. However, he has other areas to improve in my small opinion, that I will outline, and I think he will, I’m sure.

I don’t know whether Tim K and Ben didn’t quite gel, or whether it was one of Ben’s not so great attributes at the time, but... it was nice to see a lack of panic at the back between goalkeeper and defence when Zimbo and Grant were partnered in front of Tim. It was very noticeable, and quite telling.