Sign in to follow this  
Nuff Said

Sunderland supporters not one to bear a grudge

Just read this article about David Corner, the 18 year old centre back who John Deehan beat to set up the goal in the 1985 Milk Cup.

“.. as I turned around he just punched me. It smashed my teeth and I had to have stitches under my mouth”.

“I was in hospital for 12 days with a fractured eye socket and broken cheekbone.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/08/torment-catharsis-sunderland-david-corner-1985-league-cup-final?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

😔

It left me bemused I have to say. Did any of the idiots who had a go at him think they could have done better?

How strange. It was only the Milk Cup final! The Sunderland fans were fine on the day but I suppose it only takes a few idiots. 

Why anyone would say Deehan is offside is beyond me. There's a Sunderland player in the six yard box playing him on. Not that it really matters. 

That is rather bizarre, I can’t imagine for one second that happening with one of our supporters.  Not least when you could blame the guy who deflected it, the keeper, the guy who missed a pen, over a guy who just got beaten.

One interesting bit to me is that “The referee, Neil Midgeley, later told Deehan he had looked to the linesman expecting the flag to go up before concluding that after a drab first half the game had probably needed a goal.”

I’d never considered Deehan might be offside, but interesting that the ref was happy enough as the game needed a goal - though it is not as if it was his choice to give an offside.

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

How strange. It was only the Milk Cup final! The Sunderland fans were fine on the day but I suppose it only takes a few idiots. 

Why anyone would say Deehan is offside is beyond me. There's a Sunderland player in the six yard box playing him on. Not that it really matters. 

At the point of contact, Deehan was inside the box, coming out. No Sunderland player except the keeper was inside the box.

BAC975D4-B003-4B5B-9CCB-C9413FF3E071.png

Edited by Mr Angry
Added photo

Seems that the Sunderland fans were kinder to Michael Gray.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-agony-and-the-ecstasy/2019/may/23/michael-gray-bloody-penalty-sunderland-charlton-play-offs

“I do Q&As up around the north-east and obviously that penalty miss is the story they all want to hear. Nobody is interested in my England caps, in me finishing seventh in the Premier League with Sunderland or Blackburn ... none of the good stuff. All they want to hear about is that bloody penalty. I don’t mind that now, but at the start it was one of those stories I didn’t want to talk about. But looking back, I think it marked a point where I became a stronger person and it helped get me to where I got in my career.

1 hour ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

I thought the reference to Deehan was in reference to whether the ball had gone out not whether he was offside 🤷‍♂️

In the article Corner said he appealed for offside.