Mullet

Bamford's fore arm was off side what a joke

1 minute ago, First Wazzock said:

I thought it had been said that it's only body parts that you can legally score with that can be offside. And if that is the case that should have stood as a goal.

The problem as I see it is this.

VAR has the ability to see and offside which is millimetres - we've never had that before. No Linesperson has ever had x-ray vision, which has meant that there has been a few close calls either way i.e. goals scored which should have been disallowed and the other way round. We may have moaned about it but we accepted it, there has always been a margin for error. But, with VAR there is no margin for error, it's either offside or not. Technically it's correct every time, but it's not in the spirit of the game, it's not what we have been used to, and, it's not what we want. I don't want a goal to be scored and then we have a five minute wait to see if it's 'legal' or not, I want the game to flow, as I'm sure many others do too. Continuing with this will be the ruination of the game.

VAR cannot judge offside by a millimetre as it cannot always measure the exact time a ball was played forward.  

3 minutes ago, paul moy said:

VAR cannot judge offside by a millimetre as it cannot always measure the exact time a ball was played forward.  

Not wishing to be pedantic but I did say millimetres - how far was Pukki's toe off side against Spuds last season?

And, if what you are saying is true the system is flawed and should be instantly scrapped

Edited by First Wazzock
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

Not wishing to be pedantic but I did say millimetres - how far was Pukki's toe off side against Spuds last season?

And, if what you are saying is true the system is flawed and should be instantly scrapped

Nope, I think the foot check would be enough.... If the feet are level or behind the defender then onside.  VAR tries to be too accurate when in reality it is clearly not able to be that accurate.  Unfortunately we have imbeciles in charge.

40 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Nope, I think the foot check would be enough.... If the feet are level or behind the defender then onside.  VAR tries to be too accurate when in reality it is clearly not able to be that accurate.  Unfortunately we have imbeciles in charge.

In that scenario, there will still be those silly big toe offside decisions.  For me they need to make it that the whole foot has to be clear of the last defender's foot to be a clear offside and for any other situations like part of their foot being in front - they should go in favour of the attacker. It's supposed to be about goals being scored, not goals being disallowed and the marginal decisions - which the technology cannot cope with because despite appearances of little computerised dots and lines - are not 100% accurate and they should not be paraded around as if they are 100% accurate.

Seriously, if it was based on the feet in contact with the ground, with clear daylight between the feet (i.e. no overlap or at least say 1cm clear space) before a call for offside it would retain the benefit of doubt being given to the striker as implied by the spirit of the law.  Surely that cannot be too controversial to implement?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Seriously, if it was based on the feet in contact with the ground, with clear daylight between the feet (i.e. no overlap or at least say 1cm clear space) before a call for offside it would retain the benefit of doubt being given to the striker as implied by the spirit of the law.  Surely that cannot be too controversial to implement?

That is far too easy.  Some people have to justify their jobs by making what we see as stupid decisions....  🤣

Athletics has been using the chest crossing the line to split finishers for the last 70 years or so - no one argues with it, even those who would have won if it was the head. It is mind boggling that the people who run football can't come up with a definitive rule which can be easily understood. Whether that is foot, head, arm doesn't matter as long as everyone understands it. 

That and the handball rule are the two things impacting the game - not VAR or technology; the people who run the game are the ones to blame, because they like us to talk about this stuff - it keeps football in the headlines.

The feet thing would be good since we seem to have lost track of why offside came in originally.

It was brought in to stop blatant goal hanging, not for marginal things like Bamfords armpit hair being offside.

On 08/11/2020 at 04:02, Beefy is a legend said:

The greatest positive to our Championship relegation is that we don't have to put up with this ridiculousness.

Yes and no.

Some decisions at this level are that bad my initial reaction is 'VAR will sort it' for a split second forgetting we dont have it!

Arsenal had a particulary bad offiside given against them in the Europa on Thursday that was so blatantly onside.

When it comes to the handballs, its not VAR thats the issue, its the silly rules;

You can almost see the referee's thought process being 'This is never a handball but I'm going to have to give it' as they watch back replays.

• Like 1

VAR ridiculous who would have thought, saw with our own eyes last season.

It should be like in the track events in athletics, where the chest is seen as the part that decides the location of the participant.
You won't win a 100m sprint with your arm or foot crossing the line first !

On 08/11/2020 at 02:59, paul moy said:

Correct, given the television technology used the area of uncertainly is about 12 cm. Unlike athletics or goal line technology where cameras are in line with the action, VAR also has the problem of resolving variable camera angles. 

To use it for anything other than a blatant error is technical and administrative malpractice. 

p.s I agree with the “feet not body” suggestion. 

• Thanks 1

The powers that be had the opportunity at the start of the season to take stock and address some of the issues.  The offside rule is now so preposterous that it defies any kind of common sense or justice with it.  The handball one is totally stupid as well. 

I can only conclude that the officials at the top of the game are totally incompetent and unable to make any logical decisions regarding VAR.  I also conclude that it is a continuation of what they have been like for years, even before they were let loose on VAR to f*** that up as well.  There are simple things that could be done to help themselves - touching an official should be a sending off offence, running up to refs and arguing in their faces should be an instant booking. 

There is an easy way to make VAR's offside descisions correct and in the spirit of the game - in other words to give forwards the benefit of the doubt in close calls - and that is to make a player offside only when his front foot is completely past the last defender's back foot - it gives that margin for error that everyone knows exists with the technology and retains that sense of justice.

On 08/11/2020 at 09:07, Canary Jedi said:

I have to say I am enjoying being back in the Championship, we are competitive in games and none of that bloody VAR nonsense!

Pundit reaction here: 

Patrick Bamford: Did Leeds United striker have goal ruled out for pointing? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54855596

I must say when you look at this picture you think how on earth is that offside?

image.thumb.jpeg.90f0c2bd0dfccb7dc8ec4df9e461b798.jpeg

I would love to know how the dictate which part of the body is offside. Here they measure it to Lady Di’s elbow, but the Palace player his shoulder when as far as I can see he too also has an elbow.